2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

MCC numbers are hard to come by but the last survey released (back in 2010 and 2015) has club support in the order of the Demons, Bombers, Magpies, Blues, Hawks, Cats and Tigers (with a big drop to the Saints)

http://www.footyindustry.com/?page_id=224

The AFL haven’t released their AFL members numbers for a few years but by last count I understand the order of AFL reserve members were the Magpies, Blues, Bombers, Tigers, Hawks and Cats (with a big drop off to the Saints)

Given the difference in available seating for AFL / MCC members between Etihad and the MCG (probably 40,000 at the MCG vs 8,000 or so at Etihad) I would imagine that the attendance disparity between MCG and Etihad is probably in line with the portion of supporters with MCC and AFL reserve membership.

Both memberships are hard to come by with large waiting lists so it makes sense that the bigger Victorian clubs dominate both memberships and therefore get preferential MCG access (if you pool both memberships together the clubs with the bigger representation in the MCC / AFL members get the most home and away games at the MCG).

The MCC club support is interesting as you would expect that representation probably has a 20/30 year lag given the waiting list to join the club (hence why Melbourne still dominate I presume).

Of course there is another complication where 3 of the MCG tenant clubs (Rich, Haw, Melb) no longer have Stadium deals with Docklands making it just that little more annoying for members of these clubs to pre-book and organise seating for these matches which in itself creates angst for supporters (if members only attend 3 or 4 games a year perhaps it could be the dealbreaker).

I understand Collingwood has a stadium arrangement with Docklands where members get a reserve seat at the ground?

Last edited:
Presuming Essendon get their request for 4 home games at the MCG (which is the traditional big 4 matches plus either Haw (round 1) or Geel (country game) they are probably the only Victorian club that can take advantage of the dual stadium policy that the AFL is now running with...

I know Essendon fans by and large are not a fan of playing 7 home games at Docklands but all their members are properly cater for with reserve seating at both venues...which is more then can be said for Melbourne, Richmind, Hawthorn and even Geelong

MCC numbers are hard to come by but the last survey released (back in 2010 and 2015) has club support in the order of the Demons, Bombers, Magpies, Blues, Hawks, Cats and Tigers (with a big drop to the Saints)

http://www.footyindustry.com/?page_id=224

The AFL haven’t released their AFL members numbers for a few years but by last count I understand the order of AFL reserve members were the Magpies, Blues, Bombers, Tigers, Hawks and Cats (with a big drop off to the Saints)

Given the difference in available seating for AFL / MCC members between Etihad and the MCG (probably 40,000 at the MCG vs 8,000 or so at Etihad) I would imagine that the attendance disparity between MCG and Etihad is probably in line with the portion of supporters with MCC and AFL reserve membership.

Both memberships are hard to come by with large waiting lists so it makes sense that the bigger Victorian clubs dominate both memberships and therefore get preferential MCG access (if you pool both memberships together the clubs with the bigger representation in the MCC / AFL members get the most home and away games at the MCG).

The MCC club support is interesting as you would expect that representation probably has a 20/30 year lag given the waiting list to join the club (hence why Melbourne still dominate I presume).

Of course there is another complication where 3 of the MCG tenant clubs (Rich, Haw, Melb) no longer have Stadium deals with Docklands making it just that little more annoying for members of these clubs to pre-book and organise seating for these matches which in itself creates angst for supporters (if members only attend 3 or 4 games a year perhaps it could be the dealbreaker).

I understand Collingwood has a stadium arrangement with Docklands where members get a reserve seat at the ground?
The only other build on this to explain the disparity is I think there’s a strong perceived ease of access to the MCG compared to Ethihad..

Perception of the G is basically you can turn up on the day with your family and friends, buy a ticket, walk in and sit together somewhere in the GA.

At Ethihad, the perception is it’s difficult to organise entry, you have to make arrangements earlier in the week with family and friends, you probably pay more because you will likely need to reserve a seat and you will be in the nosebleeds for all the effort. This all because there’s a threat of it being sold out (big Vic clubs).

With the non attendance of AFL & MCC members, this perception means the more casual supporters don’t bother to go to Ethihad.

The only other build on this to explain the disparity is I think there’s a strong perceived ease of access to the MCG compared to Ethihad..

Perception of the G is basically you can turn up on the day with your family and friends, buy a ticket, walk in and sit together somewhere in the GA.

At Ethihad, the perception is it’s difficult to organise entry, you have to make arrangements earlier in the week with family and friends, you probably pay more because you will likely need to reserve a seat and you will be in the nosebleeds for all the effort. This all because there’s a threat of it being sold out (big Vic clubs).

With the non attendance of AFL & MCC members, this perception means the more casual supporters don’t bother to go to Ethihad.

This sums it up brilliantly

Last 4 posts by you and Hawkk have been bang on

Pretty sure I heard BT say there was 50k at the G,
If so that’s a bloody amazing crowd!
Gotta be up there with a high for the Dees as far as vs interstate teams

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They've never got to 50k before and only three times above 40k, all against Sydney. Current high is 47,464.

They've never got to 50k before and only three times above 40k, all against Sydney. Current high is 47,464.
Having a charity cause seems to do just that little bit extra for attracting crowds. This fixture, Maddie's match and the big freeze all benefit.
Maybe clubs should incorporate more charity causes into their home matches and not just advocate for public holiday's to get attendances? Could come a point where overkill sets in though.

In terms of drawing power the swans are a defacto Melbourne club. The pink ponchos in the grandstand probably helped too

Notwithstanding an excellent roll up. Still not the biggest Melbourne crowd va a non a Victorian club.

That mantle belongs to Melbourne v Sydney in round 21 (?) 1998 which drew 52,422 on a Monday night...

Last edited:
Notwithstanding an excellent roll up. Still not the biggest Melbourne crowd va a non a Victorian club.

That mantle belongs to Melbourne v Sydney in round 21 (?) 1998 which drew 52,422 on a Monday night...

That's right. I overlooked that one earlier as I thought it was a final. Tsk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. 2008 - Average (36,996). Total of 6,511,255.
2. 2010 - Average (36,908). Total of 6,495,814.
3. 2007 - Average (36,793). Total of 6,475,521.
4. 2009 - Average (36,195). Total of 6,370,401.
5. 2005 - Average (35,703). Total of 6,283,788.
6. 2006 - Average (35,250). Total of 6,204,056.
7. 2011 - Average (34,893). Total of 6,525,071.
8. 2018 - Average (34,837). Total so far of 6,270,730. On track for 6,897,803 (New Record if achieved).
9. 1998 - Average (34,768). Total of 6,119,164.
10. 2017 - Average (34,010). Total of 6,734,062. Current Record.

Compiled from this page.
https://afltables.com/afl/crowds/summary.html

Round 21 Crowds
Bombers v Saints. 37,483... Almost bang on required average to beat 2006 crowd averages. Definitely line-ball.
Hawks v Cats. 59,529. Total so far. 97,012. Average so far. 48,506. On target.
Suns v Tigers. 18,102. Total so far. 115,104. Average so far. 38,371. Just below target to hit 7 million spectators.
Power v Eagles. 32,534. Total so far. 147,648. Average so far. 36,912. On target to beat 2011 crowd averages.
Pies v Lions. 33,390. Total so far. 181,038. Average so far. 36,207. On target to beat 2011 crowd averages.
Giants v Crows. 13,249. Total so far. 194,287. Average so far. 32,381. On target for a new record.
Kangas v Dogs. 27,031. Total so far. 221,318. Average so far. 31,617. On target for a new record.
Demons v Swans. 51,424. Total so far. 272,742. Average so far. 34,093. On target to beat 1998 crowd averages.
Dockers v Blues. 40,028. Round total: 312,770. Round Average: 34,752. On target to beat 1998 crowd averages.

Projected Round Crowd. 315K. Average per match of 35K. Below the required rate to break all of the below crowd records. Approximately on track to break the 2011 Crowds Average.

Well, the crowds this round hit the mark and were pretty much as predicted.

18 Matches to go.
For a new Record Crowds must Average: 25,741 (Will do easily).
To beat 1998 Crowds must Average: 34,074. (Should do easily).
To beat 2011 Crowds must Average (Gold Coast introduced to competition): 35,454 (Should do).
For a 35,000 Crowd average Crowds must Average: 36,627 (Definitely line-ball)
To beat 2006 Crowds must Average: 39,380 (Slipping away from possibility...).
To exceed 7 million Spectators Crowds must Average: 40,515 (Needs an 80,000+ crowd for Tigers v Bombers!).

Certainly won't threaten the Top 5 Crowd Averages. Maybe in 2019.

Last edited:
What crowd do you think for Richmond/Essendon, 75k maybe.

WIth Nth Melb, Melb, Geel and Port losing this weekend in games they should have won (ok Geel game was 50/50), the door is well and truly opened now for the Bombers to sneak into the finals.

Three of the following need to happen:

- Adel beat Nth at Adelaide Oval; Likely
- Melb lose to both WC in Perth and GWS in Melb; 50/50
- Sydney lose to both GWS and Haw; 50/50
- Geel lose one of their final 2 games; Very doubtful
- Coll beat Port or Port beat Coll and Ess beat Port by comfortable margin in final round to overtake their %. Likely first part. Doubtful 2nd part

I am going with 85K for this Fri night.

If weather is good, yep definitely, tiger fans will go to the last 2 games with September around the corner - people are starting to get excited
Early forecast saying quite clear weather, rain doesn't look like it will come till well into the night.

What crowd do you think for Richmond/Essendon, 75k maybe.
From an Essendon perspective, and this being how I feel about the fixture, I don’t think we have any hope whatsoever of winning Friday night. It’s my head ruling my heart.. I hope I’m wrong but I seriously don’t think we are any realistic chance. Injury (Fantasia and Saad won’t play now and Hooker, Goddard will probably be battling but play), tired players (Friday’s match sounds like it’s really hit them physically according to Dev Smith) will really impact their ability to compete for four quarters. Therefore I doubt that there will be the huge Essendon following that would’ve gone had we beaten Hawthorn last week and got passed the Saints unscathed.

It will probably be between 65/70,000.

Comparison of docklands crowds 2017-2018

2017 total attendance 1,321,707 Avg 32,237 (41 games).

2018 total attendance 1,205,866 Avg 29,411 (41 games)

Decrease of 115,841

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 AFL Crowds & Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back