Analysis 2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Ainsworth has a very strange, slow ball drop. As you say, in space his kicking is excellent but from what I have seen, he will get tackled before the ball hits his boot if he doesn't change his style a bit.
Not a good attribute to have as a budding inside mid.

Rd 1.

FB Hurn Barrass Sheppard

HB Duggan McGovern Jetta

C Gaff Yeo Redden

HF LeCras Darling Ryan

FF Rioli Kennedy Vardy

R Lycett Shuey Sheed

INT Partington Ah Chee Cole Cripps

This assumes Ah Chee can recover fast enough to be match fit rd 1. If not, Ainsworth comes in.

This Also assumes NN wont be available rd 1.

If Kennedy isn't fit Waterman should be given first crack

If this is the team I'll be looking for -

Jetta to continue his JLT form across HB.

If Duggan and Parto are played midfield at all. From training reports Parto has found plenty of the ball. I'm hoping this translates to matches.

Rioli will come in to replace any players on the interchange not performing.

How does Yeo go in the middle? Can he find it enough?

Don't know how you can have Parto in our Round 1 team.
No where near the picture.

Hutchings would be in there at this point in time or Ainsworth.

ROUND ONE

FB: Hurn, Barrass, Sheppard
HB: Duggan, McGovern, Jetta
C: Gaff, Yeo, Hutchings
HF: Cripps, Kennedy, Rioli
FF: Ryan, Darling, Naitanui

R: McInnes, Redden, Shuey

I: Sheed, Watson, Venables, Partington/Cole

Wouldn't be risking both Naitanui/Lycett as both will be underdone. Frase can be combative and handle the first ruck role to enable Naitanui to get used to the top level again.

ROUND ONE

FB: Hurn, Barrass, Sheppard
HB: Duggan, McGovern, Jetta
C: Gaff, Yeo, Hutchings
HF: Cripps, Kennedy, Rioli
FF: Ryan, Darling, Naitanui

R: McInnes, Redden, Shuey

I: Sheed, Watson, Venables, Partington/Cole

Wouldn't be risking both Naitanui/Lycett as both will be underdone. Frase can be combative and handle the first ruck role to enable Naitanui to get used to the top level again.
I don’t actually mind the NN/FMac combo that much, as long as Frase knows how to play a decoy role in the forward line and promises to tackle like mad all season.

I don’t really see the point in Lycett as he is not durable enough to be a full time ruckman and too lumbering to be a second ruck. I hope we trade him. Vardy unfortunately is just too fragile as well.

Maybe Brander can end up being that Roughy type who can chop out as second ruckman.

Even though he's a 1st year player, if JK doesn’t make it to the start of the reason, I'd give serious consideration to Brander. Has the extra height on Waterman and could be a more viable forward target because of it, plus he did pretty well today. Waterman suits a 2nd or 3rd tall role a lot better. Not counting the resting ruckman, not too sure about going in with 2 key forwards that are only 190-191cm tall.

Even though he's a 1st year player, if JK doesn’t make it to the start of the reason, I'd give serious consideration to Brander. Has the extra height on Waterman and could be a more viable forward target because of it, plus he did pretty well today. Waterman suits a 2nd or 3rd tall role a lot better. Not counting the resting ruckman, not too sure about going in with 2 key forwards that are only 190-191cm tall.
Promising signs from Brander but I'd give him more time to develop as talls take a bit more time. Also feel that Waterman is not quite ready yet. At this stage I'd have Macinnes ahead of both of them while also sharing ruck duties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair, I didn't see the game today
Thought he was pretty good in our JLT game against the Power.

McIness is not AFL quality, nowhere near the best 22
I have no big issue playing McInnes as insurance to protect Naitanui/Lycett working their way back into it. Break glass in case of emergency.

Promising signs from Brander but I'd give him more time to develop as talls take a bit more time. Also feel that Waterman is not quite ready yet. At this stage I'd have Macinnes ahead of both of them while also sharing ruck duties.
Of course neither Waterman and Brander has even played an AFL game yet, but I think Fmac simply isn't enough of a goalkicker at AFL or WAFL level, especially at AFL level. He can take some attention off Darling/JK because of his size, but I'd possibly even be more willing to try him as a key back. He did okay in general today when he was down there, will make some errors, but so does everyone else.

Of course neither Waterman and Brander hasn't even played an AFL game, but I think Fmac simply isn't enough of a goalkicker at AFL or WAFL level, especially at AFL level. He can take some attention off Darling/JK because of his size, but I'd possibly even be more willing to try him as a key back. He did okay in general today when he was down there, will make some errors, but so does everyone else.
We're not talking about playing McInnes up front so much as are we playing him in the ruck.

Hurn - Barrass - Shep
Duggan - McGovern - Jetta
Gaff - Redden - Yeo
Le Cras - JD - Cripps
Rioli - Waterman - Lycett
Naitanui - Shuey - Sheed

Cole - Ryan - Hutchings - Venables

Maybe too many debutants in 1 game, but I think they've earned their spot - if JK is fit then Waterman comes out.
Le Cras will play early which is fine so long as he meets the standards required.
Would prefer McInnes at this stage, but can see them going with Lycett assuming Vardy is injured.

Hurn - Barrass - Shep
Gaff - Redden - Yeo
Le Cras - JD - Cripps
Naitanui - Shuey - Sheed

Maybe too many debutants in 1 game, but I think they've earned their spot - if JK is fit then Waterman comes out.
Le Cras will play early which is fine so long as he meets the standards required.
Would prefer McInnes at this stage, but can see them going with Lycett assuming Vardy is injured.
mmmm
If Sinkers is our (ankle) the Swans ruck will be limited. Perhaps go for mobility.

Their mids will obviously be the challenge for us and a solid defence. I like Rioli and Ryan in to help break up their defensive patterns with some pace and the unknown. But Ryan probably needs to settle a bit more - he looks to be feeling the pressure

FB: Sheppard Barrass Cole
HB: Jetta McGovern Hurn
C: Redden Sheed Gaff
HF: Rioli Darling Cripps
FF: LeCras Kennedy Vardy

R: Naitanui Yeo Shuey

I: Watson Duggan Hutchings Venables

- Ah Chee would have been vying for a spot.
- Lycett replaces Vardy assuming he misses.
- Waterman replaces Kennedy if not ready.
- If Naitanui and Vardy are out then I suppose McInnes plays.

Theoretical second team

FB: Nelson Mackenzie Rotham
HB: Mutimer Schofield Burrows
C: Masten Brayshaw Ainsworth
HF: Petrucelle Waterman O. Allen
FF: Ryan Brander McInnes

R: Lycett Ah Chee Partington

I: M. Allen Olango England Bayok Karpany

Last edited:
FB: Sheppard Barrass Cole
HB: Jetta McGovern Hurn
C: Redden Sheed Gaff
HF: Rioli Darling Cripps
FF: LeCras Kennedy Vardy

R: Naitanui Yeo Shuey

I: Cole Duggan Hutchings Venables/Watson

- Last spot depends on how much time we want Duggan and Yeo to spend in the back line.
- Ah Chee would have been vying for the last spot.
- Lycett replaces Vardy assuming he misses.
- Waterman replaces Kennedy if not ready.
- If Naitanui and Vardy are out then I suppose McInnes plays.

Theoretical team

FB: Nelson Mackenzie Rotham
HB: Mutimer Schofield Burrows
C: Masten Brayshaw Ainsworth
HF: Petrucelle Waterman O. Allen
FF: Ryan McInnes Karpany

R: Lycett Ah Chee Partington

I: M. Allen Olango England Bayok Venables/Watson
As Cole's sponsor I fully endorse having him in the best 22 twice

Hurn - Barrass - Shep
Gaff - Redden - Yeo
Le Cras - JD - Cripps
Naitanui - Shuey - Sheed

I think this is our best 22 based on pre season to date, with JK in if fit.

Emergencies: Watson Partington Waterman
Inj: Emac Ah Chee Vardy

Watson is probably ahead of Nelson at this stage unless nelson shows something JLT 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back