Analysis 2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I had missed brander...

I suppose with only one Cole then both Venables and Watson get a run. I'm
Not sure that Watson has done enough but I don't think Ryan has either.
Watson's kicking was a massive concern for me, I wouldn't have him in the team round 1. I'm not sold on Ryan as B22 either yet but he could kick a bag if we put him in, whereas I think there's a fair chance Watson could leak 2 or 3 goals with his poor kicking, so I'd be going with Ryan.

Watson's kicking was a massive concern for me, I wouldn't have him in the team round 1. I'm not sold on Ryan as B22 either yet but he could kick a bag if we put him in, whereas I think there's a fair chance Watson could leak 2 or 3 goals with his poor kicking, so I'd be going with Ryan.

Would mean that we'd have to get close to a full game in defence out of Duggan/Yeo. Which is ok.

And we would have 7 forwards (including Venables but not including the second ruck). So would be relying on Venables, Cripps, LeCras and Willie spending a bit of time in the midfield.

I don't think it's the ideal structure but I agree that Watson is a bit raw still.

FB: Sheppard Barrass Cole
HB: Jetta McGovern Hurn
C: Redden Sheed Gaff
HF: Rioli Darling Cripps
FF: LeCras Kennedy Vardy

R: Naitanui Yeo Shuey

I: Watson Duggan Hutchings Venables

- Ah Chee would have been vying for a spot.
- Lycett replaces Vardy assuming he misses.
- Waterman replaces Kennedy if not ready.
- If Naitanui and Vardy are out then I suppose McInnes plays.

Theoretical second team

FB: Nelson Mackenzie Rotham
HB: Mutimer Schofield Burrows
C: Masten Brayshaw Ainsworth
HF: Petrucelle Waterman O. Allen
FF: Ryan Brander McInnes

R: Lycett Ah Chee Partington

I: M. Allen Olango England Bayok Karpany

Nice team. Ah Chee was ordinary before he hurt his ankle.

I think this is our best 22 based on pre season to date, with JK in if fit.

Emergencies: Watson Partington Waterman
Inj: Emac Ah Chee Vardy

Watson is probably ahead of Nelson at this stage unless nelson shows something JLT 3
Going in with only one ruck?

Would mean that we'd have to get close to a full game in defence out of Duggan/Yeo. Which is ok.

And we would have 7 forwards (including Venables but not including the second ruck). So would be relying on Venables, Cripps, LeCras and Willie spending a bit of time in the midfield.

I don't think it's the ideal structure but I agree that Watson is a bit raw still.

Given injuries I think we'll line up something like this round 1 (not the team I'd put out there, just who I think we will). I'm ok with Duggan, Yeo and say Hutchings rotating through the backline/middle and I think we'd be able to get midfield time out of those guys you mentioned if needed. Rioli didn't look too bad playing higher up the ground I didn't think, hopefully stays fit. If Kennedy's out I'd rather put Brander at FF than play Waterman as a FF/CHF but I don't think the match committee will.

FB: Sheppard Barrass Hurn
HB: Jetta McGovern Duggan
HF: Rioli Waterman Cripps
FF: LeCras Darling McInnes

R: Lycett Yeo Shuey

I: Ryan Cole Hutchings Venables

Van Berlo saying Nic Nat unlikely next week. Who would’ve thought. Won’t play til at least rd 4 I reckon. That trading of the draft next year looking really stupid

Given injuries I think we'll line up something like this round 1 (not the team I'd put out there, just who I think we will). I'm ok with Duggan, Yeo and say Hutchings rotating through the backline/middle and I think we'd be able to get midfield time out of those guys you mentioned if needed. Rioli didn't look too bad playing higher up the ground I didn't think, hopefully stays fit. If Kennedy's out I'd rather put Brander at FF than play Waterman as a FF/CHF but I don't think the match committee will.

FB: Sheppard Barrass Hurn
HB: Jetta McGovern Duggan
HF: Rioli Waterman Cripps
FF: LeCras Darling McInnes

R: Lycett Yeo Shuey

I: Ryan Cole Hutchings Venables

Agree this is our likely team with JK and Nic out.

Here’s an interesting one, if JK does play and both Nic Nat and Sinclair are out, do we just play lycett as lone ruck.

Potentially then our fwd line is:

Waterman Darling Cripps
Rioli Kennedy Lecras

With venables and ryan rotating through off the bench

Given swans lack of decent rucks it could definitley be an option and give nic a couple more weeks to build match fitness before playing

Here’s an interesting one, if JK does play and both Nic Nat and Sinclair are out, do we just play lycett as lone ruck.

Waterman Darling Cripps
Rioli Kennedy Lecras

Given swans lack of decent rucks it could definitley be an option and give nic a couple more weeks to build match fitness before playing
I can't see us going into many games with 1 ruck if we can help it, especially the way Lycett has played so far. The only way I see us going in with just Lycett is if we play Schofield in the team and pinch hit with Gov in the ruck. But in saying that if Brander comes on well I could see us going in with one ruckman next year, with Brander as the second ruck/forward just to get him some game time.

Waterman Darling Cripps
Rioli Kennedy Lecras

Sinclair is long gone Bud

Round 1

Jetta Barrass Cole
Sheppard McGovern Hurn
Gaff Redden Duggan
Ryan Darling Cripps
Lecras Waterman Rioli

Ruck: Lycett Yeo Shuey

Int: McInnes Sheed Watson Venables

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we're going to be without JK, Naitanui, and Barrass, then here is how I'd like to roll out rd1.

Go smaller down back again, confident in Hurn and Shep to play tall if needed. Darling and Yeo to chop out and Lycett to play 80% game time on ball, he's fit enough.

Hurn - Gov - Jetta
Watson - Shep - Duggo
Gaff - Redden - Sheed
Venables - Darling - Cripps
Lecras - Waterman - Rioli
R: Lycett - Shuey - Yeo
Int: Hutchings - Cole - Venables - Ryan

Ermgd: Schofield - Nelson - Ainsworth - McInnes

If we're going to be without JK, Naitanui, and Barrass, then here is how I'd like to roll out rd1.

Go smaller down back again, confident in Hurn and Shep to play tall if needed. Darling and Yeo to chop out and Lycett to play 80% game time on ball, he's fit enough.

Hurn - Gov - Jetta
Watson - Shep - Duggo
Gaff - Redden - Sheed
Venables - Darling - Cripps
Lecras - Waterman - Rioli
R: Lycett - Shuey - Yeo
Int: Hutchings - Cole - Venables - Ryan

Ermgd: Schofield - Nelson - Ainsworth - McInnes
Venables twice.

I think we can't run with 2 soft pure outside players on the wing in Jetta and Gaff. It's time we bring Shep up the park to a wing. He's fearless, got great hands and speed and at 187cm can compete with most in the air. We haven't had a versatile wing like that who can push forward or back and impact since Embley retired. Tom Cole looks ready to replace him down back.

Round 1 assuming we don't get any of these injury doubtfuls back...

B: Shep Schofield Hurn
HB: Yeo Gov Duggan
C: Gaff Redden Hutchings
HF: Masten McInnes Cripps
F: Rioli Darling LeCras
R: Lycett Shuey Sheed

I: Cole, Waterman, Brander, Nelson/Ainsworth

E: Ainsworth/Nelson, Venables, Watson, Brayshaw/Mutimer

All these injuries are testing our depth severely already and we haven't bounced a ball. We have quite a few project players and a few who just aren't gonna make it.

I think we can't run with 2 soft pure outside players on the wing in Jetta and Gaff. It's time we bring Shep up the park to a wing. He's fearless, got great hands and speed and at 187cm can compete with most in the air. We haven't had a versatile wing like that who can push forward or back and impact since Embley retired. Tom Cole looks ready to replace him down back.

Tom is showing a bit but he is horrible in the air. Shep is really strong aerially and plays tall IMO. Hopefully Tom works it out because there are so many small/med forwards around that are good in the air and nice set shots - it could really hold Cole back from becoming a B22 regular.

I missed most of the game on Sunday but I am yet to be wowed by Cole. Don't understand the hype. Genuinely discouraged by Nelson so it's time to try him elsewhere (he hasn't looked too bad when given a burst on ball, and could play defensive to let Hutch off the chain if they're both in the same side at any point) and maybe give Cole a block of games to see what he can do.

I just hope they play players in the same spots in the WAFL as they do in the AFL. No point playing Nelson as a mid for EP and then expecting him to cover small forwards for WC. Ditto Cole and Mutimer etc.

If they aren’t good enough to play as mids in the AFL then develop them as flankers or whatever else at EP.

I missed most of the game on Sunday but I am yet to be wowed by Cole. Don't understand the hype. Genuinely discouraged by Nelson so it's time to try him elsewhere (he hasn't looked too bad when given a burst on ball, and could play defensive to let Hutch off the chain if they're both in the same side at any point) and maybe give Cole a block of games to see what he can do.
From what I saw of him in the WAFL early on is he is quite composed. Especially compared to someone like Nelson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back