Analysis 2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

No chance IMO.

He might get a run this Sunday though. I suppose that would give him a chance to impress.

Vozzo has said he won’t be available this weekend after rolling his ankle. Pulled up with a bit of swelling. Which is a shame because I was looking forward to seeing more of him. But I can see him debuting this year.

Vozzo has said he won’t be available this weekend after rolling his ankle. Pulled up with a bit of swelling. Which is a shame because I was looking forward to seeing more of him. But I can see him debuting this year.
Damn, first time I heard of that, that's really bad luck... Probably rules him out of round 1 now. Although Waterman is probably ahead of him in the selectors' minds for Jk's spot anyway, it robs him of a final chance to audition for the spot.

I'd be playing Brander for sure. He's got some size about him. Give him a taste of AFL early so he knows what's required. No point putting any more game time into Schofield, or McInnes.

I think getting game time into McInnes is essential considering he will likely be playing round 1.

So, possible side for Round 1:

B: Hurn, Barrass, Sheppard
HB: Yeo, McGovern, Duggan
C: Gaff, Shuey, Jetta
HF: Cripps, Waterman, Ryan
F: LeCras, Darling, McInnes
R: Lycett, Sheed, Redden
I: Hutchings, Rioli, Venables, Nelson
E: Schofield, Masten, Ainsworth/Cole/Watson/Partington

Unavailable: Naitanui, Kennedy, MacKenzie, Ah Chee, Vardy, Brander

Debutants: Ryan, Rioli, Waterman, Venables

Changes from the Semi final side
In: Lycett, McInnes, Ryan, Rioli, Waterman, Venables, Nelson
Out: Vardy, Petrie, Mitchell, Priddis, Kennedy, Wellingham, MacKenzie

I would much rather Masten than Nelson but otherwise pretty good.

Aww hell no. I’m done with guys that don’t care and want a pay cheque. Nelson whilst he might Clanger,gives his all. He deserves a chance this year even to push up the ground and be a campaigner. It’s better than anything masto can offer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that a pisstake?
I don't get the Nelson hate. He has a bit of mongrel in him, which we lack, and has a bit of speed. He's no star but maybe a high half forward in a defensive role
Sure, but he will obviously not play as a high half forward in Round 1 so why include him in your hypothetical best 22 for Round 1?

We all know that if he’s playing against Sydney he will be in defence and he ****ing stinks in defence. Like major liability stinks.

Masten is horribly vanilla but at least he won’t cost us many goals.

I am all for trialling Nelson up the ground in the WAFL but not first up in the 1s

Aww hell no. I’m done with guys that don’t care and want a pay cheque. Nelson whilst he might Clanger,gives his all. He deserves a chance this year even to push up the ground and be a campaigner. It’s better than anything masto can offer
Sounds like the old Paddy McGinnity argument, only at least Paddy was able to keep his feet most of the time.

People have been high on him for a couple of years (me included) but to be honest he's been absolutely crap this preseason
Nelson for me is the new McGinnity ... tons of effort every time but not too much skill,
would be great to have around training track for morale, but I think will only make sides when we have injuries.

Don't know how you can have Parto in our Round 1 team.
No where near the picture.

Hutchings would be in there at this point in time or Ainsworth.

I would prefer Parto over Hutchings from a development point of view. But it does look like Hutchings is finding some good form.

And Partos WAFL form and couple of years in the system has him slightly ahead of Ainsworth for mine. Very close however.

Nelson for me is the new McGinnity ... tons of effort every time but not too much skill,
would be great to have around training track for morale, but I think will only make sides when we have injuries.
Yeh, I've massively downgraded my expectations for him, depth only and probably lucky to still be in the squad in 3-4 years

Sure, but he will obviously not play as a high half forward in Round 1 so why include him in your hypothetical best 22 for Round 1?

We all know that if he’s playing against Sydney he will be in defence and he ******* stinks in defence. Like major liability stinks.

Masten is horribly vanilla but at least he won’t cost us many goals.

I am all for trialling Nelson up the ground in the WAFL but not first up in the 1s

I had him in the 22 as the seventh defender. Who would you put in that spot? Barrass, Gov, Hurn, Sheppard, Yeo, Duggan, ...?

I had him in the 22 as the seventh defender. Who would you put in that spot? Barrass, Gov, Hurn, Sheppard, Yeo, Duggan, ...?
Jetta and Cole

B: Hurn, Barrass, Sheppard
HB: Yeo, McGovern, Duggan
C: Gaff, Shuey, Jetta
HF: Cripps, McInnes, Rioli
F: LeCras, Darling, Ryan
R: Lycett, Sheed, Redden
I: Hutchings, Masten, Venables, Cole
E: Schofield, Ainsworth, Watson/Partington

Ryan can play the third marking target role in a smaller and more dynamic forward line. Cole can play half back as well as Jetta who did that well against Port.

Waterman isn’t ready yet IMO and would likely have no impact

McInnes to share ruck duties with Lycett and spend time at CHF round 1. It’s not ideal but at least we will get a contest from him, and he does have the height which gives him a point of difference to our undersized forwards in Waterman/Darling.

I get the feeling this year a lot of expectation will be on our forwards to really provide a strong contest. If they can’t mark, bring the ball to ground and let our smaller forwards to go to work. We now have guys who can genuinely crumb the ball which is really exciting.

McInnes to share ruck duties with Lycett and spend time at CHF round 1. It’s not ideal but at least we will get a contest from him, and he does have the height which gives him a point of difference to our undersized forwards in Waterman/Darling.

I get the feeling this year a lot of expectation will be on our forwards to really provide a strong contest. If they can’t mark, bring the ball to ground and let our smaller forwards to go to work. We now have guys who can genuinely crumb the ball which is really exciting.
Yeah given the fact that Vardy has gone down, and Nic Nat seems a fair way off playing McInnes is a lock for round 1. Big bodied and competes well, there are no other legitimate options to give Lycett a break. Brander is way too underweight to compete in the Ruck, and playing McGovern as the 2nd ruck would be robbing Peter to pay Paul, especially against Sydneys forward line.
McInnes is a good forward just a bit slow, but it's not too often you'll see him beaten in a marking contest, most of the time it will come to ground and every now and again he'll clunk one, like you said let the crumbers do their thing

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back