2018 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought a there was already a draft thread up but I couldn't find anything.

I've got my draft tonight, 12 teams, I got pick 12 :sick:
We use the snake method so at least I get back to back picks.

Reckon I'll just take the most powerful mid left, hopefully Pendles, Zerrett or Bont are still around.
Then I reckon I'll jump at a ruck, either Kruze or Ryder with #13.
I trust those 2 more than Gawn, and I reckon the gap between the top 3 rucks and the rest will be quite large.

Reckon I'll only go for 1 premo defender and round that line out with LMac/Sicily/Wilson types later in the draft.

Will definitely try grab Barlow and even Curnow with a later pick in the FWDs.

Hopefully all the numptys I play with have forgotten about Rocky's existence, I'd be more than happy to take the risk on him in draft.

Anyone else in a draft league?
How are planning on going about it?

Agree with you in taking majority of my defenders later on, some good cheaper options there. Forwards are somewhat similar as they are pretty open this year, lots of potential players could finish in the top 10 come seasons end. Guess based on that the focus early will be getting a few big guns in the middle and a quality ruck.

Pick 12 is the 2nd best pick, those back to back picks are amazing.

I'm in a 10 man, draft is tomorrow. I write a list of players that are often overlooked early due to where they sit in the 'rankings' (pretty sure it defaults to 2017 avg.) i.e. Coniglio, O'Meara, Curnow, Smith, Sicily etc. and if a pick doesn't stand out i.e. Heeney, Laird etc. then I'll consult my list of cheaper players. Usually find that people will take a Goddard just because he's at the top of the table at a certain stage. The guys we play with are pretty solid though.

Captain first, and then I like to target the weakest overall line. This year, it's the forwards for me with only a few really good picks that could go 100+. The difference between my Heeney vs opponents Riewoldt is generally better than say my JPK vs opponents Newnes. Probably not exactly, but you get my drift I'm sure.

I don't mind the idea of running a donut out of R1 as well, using the bench to get a midfielders score for your ruck. If Gawn is staring at me, then I'll probably take the plunge but not really excited by anyone else. Maybe Jacobs or Goldstein.

Good luck with your draft mate, post your side when you're done!

I'm in a 10 man, draft is tomorrow. I write a list of players that are often overlooked early due to where they sit in the 'rankings' (pretty sure it defaults to 2017 avg.) i.e. Coniglio, O'Meara, Curnow, Smith, Sicily etc. and if a pick doesn't stand out i.e. Heeney, Laird etc. then I'll consult my list of cheaper players. Usually find that people will take a Goddard just because he's at the top of the table at a certain stage. The guys we play with are pretty solid though.

Captain first, and then I like to target the weakest overall line. This year, it's the forwards for me with only a few really good picks that could go 100+. The difference between my Heeney vs opponents Riewoldt is generally better than say my JPK vs opponents Newnes. Probably not exactly, but you get my drift I'm sure.

I don't mind the idea of running a donut out of R1 as well, using the bench to get a midfielders score for your ruck. If Gawn is staring at me, then I'll probably take the plunge but not really excited by anyone else. Maybe Jacobs or Goldstein.

You reckon? I feel like missing out on one of the real standout captains can hurt a bit, but as the draft carries on it is certainly a bonus to have back to back picks.

Ive done the same thing, I already know how I order the top premos just from putting together my regular team, so I've only made a list for later in the draft of players who would of flown under the radar a bit.

My leagues a bit of a mix, about 7 of us are decent and the other 5 are dogshit.

There's on bloke who every year disregards rucks altogether and uses them for loopholes, so we are all familiar with that tactic.

Completed our 8 team draft last Sunday. I had pick 5, how'd I go?

B.Ellis, H.Shaw, R.Burton, L.Mcdonald, N.Wilson

N.Fyfe, S.Pendlebury, P.Cripps, D.Beams, D.Prestia, T.Liberatore

M.Gawn

J.Billings, TJ.Lynch, T.Mclean, B.Deledio, C.Curnow

BENCH - A.Brayshaw, J.Omeara, J.Sicily, A.Christensen

Without seeing the other teams, on paper it looks quite solid.
At least 4 gun mids.
Strong ruck, would say you'd have it over at least 5 of the other teams in any given H2H with Gawn.
Other lines are decent.
Sicily's DPP will definitely come in handy during the year :thumbsu:

Without seeing the other teams, on paper it looks quite solid.
At least 4 gun mids.
Strong ruck, would say you'd have it over at least 5 of the other teams in any given H2H with Gawn.
Other lines are decent.
Sicily's DPP will definitely come in handy during the year :thumbsu:

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm worried about Burton, Mclean and Deledios output. There really wasn't much to choose from when it came to those later rounds of the draft.
Players like Cyril, Birchall, Maynard and Motlop are still available on the waiver wire. Just not sure it's worth dropping anyone for them yet.

Our 12 man draft took a touch over 3 hours and many frothies, usually I come out with a stacked Midfield but this year was quite different, happy with all my lines expect the mids this time round.

Interestingly, the number #1 pick in our draft was Dusty. Picked by a Hawks supporter, who is also a massive fan of Fyfe. Reckons Ablett will impact Danger negatively.

Had pick #12, my draft order was as follows.
#12 Piggy Oliver
#13 Kroooooze
#36 Duncan
#37 Hibberd
#60 Billings
#61 Ebert
#84 Blakely
#85 Prestia
#108 Barlow
#109 L McDonald
#132 Sicily
#133 Sandilands
#156 Curnow
#157 Vlastuin
#180 McGrath

All the good captains were gone so took a somewhat safe bet and went with Oliver.
Happy to back Kruze in as the #1 ruck this year, in my team in both formats.
Duncan avaraged a touch under 110 last year, expect him to drop a bit with Gaz there, but to still be a solid contributer.
Knew I was gonna go after McDonalds and Sicily eventually so only wanted 1 gun defender, someone had already jagged Laird so I went with Hibbo.
Heeney was taken earlier than I expected, and wanted a decent forward, welcome Billings.
Ebert loves to crack in at the start of the year, hopefully I can dish him off if he starts like a house on fire again, if not, he should at least get 95~ ppg.
Massive fan of Blakely, should be a D/M, but CD are ballbags, reckon he'll be a solid scorer.
I'd be picking Prestia in classic SC if the Tiges didn't have the worst bye ever, his finish to last year was beautiful, has had a preseason this year, reckon he'll the Tiges 2nd top scorer.
STAAAARLOW.
At the end of the year I'm either gonna love McDonald for being a star, or hate him for ruining my classic and draft team.
AFLX was on in the background while our draft was going, had the volume right down so no one would hear BT spunking over Sicily taking intercept clunkers all night.
I already had Kruze, but to my surprise no one had nabbed Sandi, hope he kills the JLT and the first few H&A rounds so I can trade him to someone for a strong midfielder.
Curnow is a breakout boy, why not risk him in draft?
Love Vlas, and loved how he played after he came back from his shoulder injury last year, too scared to pick him in regular due to having the worst bye, but happy to back him in draft.
McGrath is another breakout boy, even if he doesn't take the next step he'll plug holes when need be. Great little player.

I am frothed and have work tomorrow morning, I hate myself. But I love SC.

Starlow at 108 is madness.

Number 1 forward all but locked away

The bloke two picks before me ask how he was going this year, told him he was coming back from a broken leg, he wasn't impressed when he passed on him and I picked him up 2 minutes later hahah

Draft.JPG

Had pick 9 in a 10 man draft last night. Pendlebury slid, Fyfe went at 8 and Laird went at ****ing 5 can you believe that?

In order, I picked :

Pendles
Crouch
Kreuz
Menegola
Macrae
Adams
Lambert
Howe
Prestia
Barlow
Hall
Robinson
Pittard
McLean
Brayshaw
B. Smith* whoops (now Sam Gibson)
KK
Maynard
SPS
Biggs
Acres
Hawkins

Overall really happy! Got my favourite SC player of all time in Pendles, Crouch to pair him as a VC/C option. I'll be running a donut out of D6 eventually once I finalise my side after the R1 free agency scramble!

View attachment 460885

Had pick 9 in a 10 man draft last night. Pendlebury slid, Fyfe went at 8 and Laird went at ******* 5 can you believe that?

In order, I picked :

Pendles
Crouch
Kreuz
Menegola
Macrae
Adams
Lambert
Howe
Prestia
Barlow
Hall
Robinson
Pittard
McLean
Brayshaw
KK
Maynard
SPS
Biggs
Acres
Hawkins

Overall really happy! Got my favourite SC player of all time in Pendles, Crouch to pair him as a VC/C option. I'll be running a donut out of D6 eventually once I finalise my side after the R1 free agency scramble!

Who were the first 4? Laird at five is outrageous, someone in my league picked Boak in like the 4th round and I thought that was bad enough.

Having Crouch slip out of the top 10 is crazy imo.
Interesting to see you got Kruze in the 3rd.
Kruze, Gawn and Ryder were all gone before the second round finished in my leauge.

Who were the first 4? Laird at five is outrageous, someone in my league picked Boak in like the 4th round and I thought that was bad enough.

Having Crouch slip out of the top 10 is crazy imo.
Interesting to see you got Kruze in the 3rd.
Kruze, Gawn and Ryder were all gone before the second round finished in my leauge.

Danger, Dusty, Titch, Kelly, Laird, Sloane, GAJ, Fyfe, Pendlebury, Merrett
Gawn, Crouch, Gray, Selwood, Bont, Greene, JPK, Hibberd, Neale, Gibbs were the top 20.

Crouch is a massive steal, I'm glad I got him and Pendles should set me up for a season of immense VC/C scoring!

Hey dude. Just wondering if there is a spreadsheet available stating all the players rankings for draft this year?
Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 460885

Had pick 9 in a 10 man draft last night. Pendlebury slid, Fyfe went at 8 and Laird went at ******* 5 can you believe that?

In order, I picked :

Pendles
Crouch
Kreuz
Menegola
Macrae
Adams
Lambert
Howe
Prestia
Barlow
Hall
Robinson
Pittard
McLean
Brayshaw
KK
Maynard
SPS
Biggs
Acres
Hawkins

Quick question from a first timer whose draft is in 8 days.
When you make a pick, how does it display on screen?
Is it worthwhile having a pen & paper handy to ensure the correct mix of players is chosen?

Quick question from a first timer whose draft is in 8 days.
When you make a pick, how does it display on screen?
Is it worthwhile having a pen & paper handy to ensure the correct mix of players is chosen?

It's really similar to the selection screen in standard Supercoach. I think the picks are quite obvious, but I do suggest you keep a list of guys like Deledio, Christensen, Coniglio, O'Meara who are all priced well unders so when the top of the list starts to look a bit meh, you can refer to your list of cheaper dudes who may well turn out to be better players.

Hey dude. Just wondering if there is a spreadsheet available stating all the players rankings for draft this year?
Cheers

Not that I know of, sorry mate. I just jotted down our top 20 by browsing at the draft re-cap list. Don't have a spreadsheet.

Any draft that has captains is crap imho

I've always played with captains, but I agree with you Tox, I suggested last year that we get rid of the captains and was out voted 11/1...

Having pick #1 and Danger or Gaz back in the day was basically a 30 point head start every round.

Okay - I'm in the poo a bit and need advise.
I had to rush my kid to hospital during the pre selection. (It was only partially done but I had to save it as is)
I've just come home to find this mess below, any advise would be appreciated as this is my first SC Draft (I'm a vet of classic however)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

upload_2018-2-20_10-4-40.png

You did pretty well there mate. Drop Williams though, he won't play all year. Keep your eyes peeled Sunday evening after R1 at about 8:30-9pm, because when the free agent pool unlocks - you should be ready to pounce on a bolter midfield type that's in the free agent pool. Then you can push Wingard forward (if fit) and put said bolter on field. You have some awesome selections though, so I assume there wasn't many people in your draft?

Hope your kid is alright mate!

I had to rush my kid to hospital during the pre selection. (It was only partially done but I had to save it as is)
I've just come home to find this mess below, any advise would be appreciated as this is my first SC Draft (I'm a vet of classic however)

View attachment 461556
That's actually quite a solid team. Grundy will be great trade bait to get another solid midfielder.

View attachment 461556
Mate you got Hurn. Youve already won.

You did pretty well there mate. Drop Williams though, he won't play all year. Keep your eyes peeled Sunday evening after R1 at about 8:30-9pm, because when the free agent pool unlocks - you should be ready to pounce on a bolter midfield type that's in the free agent pool. Then you can push Wingard forward (if fit) and put said bolter on field. You have some awesome selections though, so I assume there wasn't many people in your draft?

Hope your kid is alright mate!
Only 8 people in the draft...Thanks for the advise re round one, I really am going in blind and have no idea as I only know classic.

My kid is okay...Fair few stitches but he's a tough (not so) little 20 month old.

View attachment 461556

All depends on who's left in the pool.

Dees Brayshaw in defence
Ben Brown up fwd

These random types you'll have to hunt for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back