2018 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody had any issues with draft before? Me and some mates have been trying for about an hour now to get a live draft going, but every time the first person in the draft is unable to choose a player and it says expired.

Reckon Caddy will be a decent later pick in drafts, probably too risky in standard.

Had to play a selfless role last year and didn't get as much mid time as he would have liked. That will probably change and he will be more involved in the midfield rotations, he looks like he has slimmed down a fair bit. Early signs in JLT1 were pretty good.

hey all,

I have a 10 man draft this Sunday and to say a few hours of research has been put in would be a massive understatement.
The league we have opted to go with is a rollover league so you keep the same players the next year and choose the ones you want to get rid of and keep at seasons end (the same set up as the NFL) and the Supercoach site will automatically make a new draft order. The draft order will be the same as the AFL (10th finish gets first pick). When you get rid of a player to the waiver list the team sitting on the bottom at that time has first preference to pick him up and going up the ladder. We have also decided there will be no rolling lockout and captains will be picked before the first game. I have pick 2 and its a snake type draft process.

With it being a rollover league a few big decisions need to be made.
1. Age vs longevity - Pretty clean cut thought process. Do you pick Ablett with an early pick and hopefully he gets back to his best this year and maybe next but then have to offload him once he retires or opt for a Petracca/Heeney type and have him average 100+ for the next ten years. I wont be picking Ablett, JPK, pendles or franklin types with early picks.
2. Draft strategy - Ill take Tom Mitchell with my first pick, pick 2 (That's if he isn't taken with pick one). I think he will average the most out of all players in the next 5 years (you could throw a blanket over martin, dangers, kelly, crouch, fyfe and maybe oliver). If it wasn't a rollover league i would be taking Dangers or Martin who ever was left. With my second and third pick (being 19 and 22) im thinking of taking two of daniher, greene, heeney or pertracca.
The gap in the forward line for me is too big and those four will be pumping out 100's for a long time and also i dont see the need to get 3 premium mids in straight away due to the league only being 10 teams (50) mids picks. I'm hoping the likes of cognilio and omera will still be around pretty late and the depth in the mids runs really deep considering there are only 10 teams. With my ruckman i wont be picking one up til the end of the draft. With it being only 10 teams The Top 12 ruckmen averaged over 88 and that Doesnt include Nicnat. The likes of Goldy or witts should still be around and im not going to waste an early pick on a ruckmen with premium mids are still around. The backline i still havnt figured out and im sure that will just take of itself. There are a few mid priced backs who will slip down the order and have heaps of upside for years to come like luke mcdonald, sicily, burton, andrew mcgrath and witherden. I dont trust Yeo, Laird, Hibberd and co to use early picks on them.

What are peoples thoughts?

Hey BigFooty,

I've played supercoach for roughly the last 10 years and honestly I've found the original format has become a bit stale. I also play NFL Fantasy and cannot get enough of our auction draft and the fact everyone has different players so no team is ever the same. That is why this year as our leagues commissioner I'm attempting to run an auction supercoach league.

To help my friends I've written a spreadsheet with the top 250 players with their averages from last year position and team so they kind of have a cheat sheet but what I'm really needing help with is a basic what a player should be worth.

We are starting with $300 each you have to pick 5 backs 7 mids 5 fwds 1 ruck 4 subs. If anyone has done this before some insight would be greatly appreciated or even just ideas of what a Dangerfield, Buddy, or Kruezer in their respective positions might be worth so I can make this as competitive and Fun as possible.

Cheers

Hey all, not been on bigfooty for a while but I'm stuck and hoping to get some help.
I'm running a 12 man league with an offline draft this sunday. Only about 6 or 7 of us know anything about supercoach. The rest just join in to give us all a hard time and have a laugh.
so to help them out, does anyone know where I can get a CHEAT SHEET?
I usually get one from footy prophet but are having issues this year.
help! Anyone?

Who were the first 4? Laird at five is outrageous, someone in my league picked Boak in like the 4th round and I thought that was bad enough.

Having Crouch slip out of the top 10 is crazy imo.
Interesting to see you got Kruze in the 3rd.
Kruze, Gawn and Ryder were all gone before the second round finished in my leauge.
Laird @ 5 really is not outrageous (assuming you dont use captains which i expect most don't.
The value based drafting calculator i use has him pegged at pick 5 (taking into account Docs absence) if he averages 105.

Last edited:
hey all,

I have a 10 man draft this Sunday and to say a few hours of research has been put in would be a massive understatement.
The league we have opted to go with is a rollover league so you keep the same players the next year and choose the ones you want to get rid of and keep at seasons end (the same set up as the NFL) and the Supercoach site will automatically make a new draft order. The draft order will be the same as the AFL (10th finish gets first pick). When you get rid of a player to the waiver list the team sitting on the bottom at that time has first preference to pick him up and going up the ladder. We have also decided there will be no rolling lockout and captains will be picked before the first game. I have pick 2 and its a snake type draft process.

With it being a rollover league a few big decisions need to be made.
1. Age vs longevity - Pretty clean cut thought process. Do you pick Ablett with an early pick and hopefully he gets back to his best this year and maybe next but then have to offload him once he retires or opt for a Petracca/Heeney type and have him average 100+ for the next ten years. I wont be picking Ablett, JPK, pendles or franklin types with early picks.
2. Draft strategy - Ill take Tom Mitchell with my first pick, pick 2 (That's if he isn't taken with pick one). I think he will average the most out of all players in the next 5 years (you could throw a blanket over martin, dangers, kelly, crouch, fyfe and maybe oliver). If it wasn't a rollover league i would be taking Dangers or Martin who ever was left. With my second and third pick (being 19 and 22) im thinking of taking two of daniher, greene, heeney or pertracca.
The gap in the forward line for me is too big and those four will be pumping out 100's for a long time and also i dont see the need to get 3 premium mids in straight away due to the league only being 10 teams (50) mids picks. I'm hoping the likes of cognilio and omera will still be around pretty late and the depth in the mids runs really deep considering there are only 10 teams. With my ruckman i wont be picking one up til the end of the draft. With it being only 10 teams The Top 12 ruckmen averaged over 88 and that Doesnt include Nicnat. The likes of Goldy or witts should still be around and im not going to waste an early pick on a ruckmen with premium mids are still around. The backline i still havnt figured out and im sure that will just take of itself. There are a few mid priced backs who will slip down the order and have heaps of upside for years to come like luke mcdonald, sicily, burton, andrew mcgrath and witherden. I dont trust Yeo, Laird, Hibberd and co to use early picks on them.

What are peoples thoughts?

Good call, I've always avoided getting sucked in to rucks early on.

Last year I was in a 10 man league. The other 9 all picked their rucks by the 4th round and nobody was going to start picking bench players before they needed so I had until about the 16th round to pick my ruck.

Not to mention they are the most injury prone players.

Pick 12 is the 2nd best pick, those back to back picks are amazing.

I'm in a 10 man, draft is tomorrow. I write a list of players that are often overlooked early due to where they sit in the 'rankings' (pretty sure it defaults to 2017 avg.) i.e. Coniglio, O'Meara, Curnow, Smith, Sicily etc. and if a pick doesn't stand out i.e. Heeney, Laird etc. then I'll consult my list of cheaper players. Usually find that people will take a Goddard just because he's at the top of the table at a certain stage. The guys we play with are pretty solid though.

Captain first, and then I like to target the weakest overall line. This year, it's the forwards for me with only a few really good picks that could go 100+. The difference between my Heeney vs opponents Riewoldt is generally better than say my JPK vs opponents Newnes. Probably not exactly, but you get my drift I'm sure.

I don't mind the idea of running a donut out of R1 as well, using the bench to get a midfielders score for your ruck. If Gawn is staring at me, then I'll probably take the plunge but not really excited by anyone else. Maybe Jacobs or Goldstein.

Good luck with your draft mate, post your side when you're done!

Forget risking a donut, I don't mind tanking round 1 completely. After round 1 there is always a standout player who was missed and getting first pick in the early waivers is a real bonus.

That said, I was in a 10 man league last year with 8 making finals, tanking a game didn't hurt over all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there are captains, top premo mids like dusty and danger could easily be over 25% of the budget.

Pretty hard to say otherwise, i have done auctions a couple of times for soccer and we ditched it as we thought standard drafting is far more fair and just as fun.

My biggest issues were around the fact that when you nominate a player for auction, whatever the process is behind that, it creates an element of strategy that is beyond most. Scenarios include only nominating average players, hoping some premos slide till the end and picking them up on the cheap, all the premos going first and everyone having no money by the 5th/6th pick which results in very small bidding wars over players that are still guns, managers getting flustered in the auction and getting caught in a bidding war early on has the potential to derail your draft and season.

normal drafting allows for some dud picks, allowing everyone in the league to be far more competitive for longer which i find to be the thing that dictates the level of fun in the league. having a few teams out of the running straight after the draft is the worst case scenario.

Hey Football_Fanatic,

I too love Auction Drafts, my league has been doing them for the last 4 years! I just love the extra strategy and the fact that anyone can get any player (e.g. Danger isn't just restricted to the coach with the first pick)!

My league is a 10-team league with the same team structure as yours (5D, 7M, 1R, 5F, 4 Bench) and a $300 budget. I've got 4 years of historical data haha! Bigfooty wouldn't let me post the whole spreadsheet, so I've given you the top 50 most expensive players from our 2017 draft below, as well as their position and average going into the draft.

Also, if you're interested in running your Auction Draft on a website, head over to www.SuperDraftFantasy.com! It allows you to conduct a fully-customisable Auction Draft! Once teams are drafted, you then plug your team into SC/AFL Fantasy via a Snake Draft.

A funny note on the data below - Gawn and Danger were picked up by the same team, so the coach spent $99/$300 on 2 players! He actually lead the league in points scored at the end of the H&A season, but then choked in finals!

Max Gawn RUC 118.55 $52
Patrick Dangerfield MID 131.77 $47
Dan Hannebery MID 113.36 $47
Gary Ablett MID 114.07 $44
Scott Pendlebury MID 118.68 $43
Josh P. Kennedy MID 113.43 $43
Nat Fyfe MID 105.4 $41
Dustin Martin MID 108.14 $40
Sam Docherty DEF 108.73 $40
Marcus Bontempelli MID 107.73 $40
Heath Shaw DEF 105.95 $40
Lachie Neale MID 112.64 $39
Luke Dahlhaus FWD-MID 95.71 $39
Adam Treloar MID 111.27 $38
Tom Rockliff MID 111 $37
Joel Selwood MID 111.5 $35
Luke Parker MID 111.91 $35
Jack Macrae FWD-MID 94.06 $33
Jason Johannisen DEF 94.38 $33
Lance Franklin FWD 94.59 $32
Robbie Gray MID 108.11 $32
Dayne Zorko MID 109 $31
Stephen Coniglio MID 105.86 $31
Zach Merrett MID 111.45 $30
Todd Goldstein RUC 108.14 $30
Dayne Beams MID 79.5 $29
Rory Laird DEF 96.82 $29
Rory Sloane MID 108.62 $28
Zac Williams DEF 88.25 $28
Jack Steven MID 103.05 $28
Bryce Gibbs MID 106.09 $27
Kade Simpson DEF 106.36 $27
Josh J. Kennedy FWD 97.82 $27
Tom Mitchell MID 103.95 $26
Patrick Ryder FWD-RUC - $26
Alex Rance DEF 98.45 $26
Patrick Cripps MID 107.62 $25
Luke Shuey MID 105.59 $25
Jarryd Roughead FWD 0 $25
Jack Gunston FWD 92.32 $25
Callan Ward MID 105.59 $24
Dyson Heppell MID - $23
Dylan Shiel MID 99.1 $22
Toby Nankervis FWD-RUC 74.83 $22
Zach Tuohy DEF 81.45 $22
Brett Deledio FWD 95 $22
Josh Caddy FWD-MID 89.81 $22
Toby Greene FWD 90.43 $21
Steele Sidebottom MID 106.2 $21
Aaron Hall MID 95.53 $21

Had pick 9 in a 10 man draft last night. Pendlebury slid, Fyfe went at 8 and Laird went at ******* 5 can you believe that?

www.superdraftfantasy.com Auction Draft Projections have Laird valued at $24, the 16th most expensive player!!!! It seems that your friend has jumped the gun drafting him at #5 :think:!!!! It could have been worse though...he could have drafted Docherty! A friend of mine tried drafting Brent Guerra one year...about 2 years after he had retired!

Interesting to note Fyfe hasn't gone top 10 in the two drafts I have done so far, most people realize positions outside the midfield don't run very deep this year and is a bit of a lottery, so they move in early to scoop up the best, whilst some end up with stacked midfields and weak front and back ends

Also, need a few more for a draft at 9:30pm tonight if anyone is interested - Draft League 2018 (597648)

does anyone know where I can get a CHEAT SHEET?

Hey JustForFun! You can find a comprehensive SC 2018 Cheat Sheet here - www.superdraftfantasy.com/resources!

This includes players' total scores, averages and standard deviations for the last 3 years. If your interested in conducting your draft in an Auction format, the spreadsheet also contains indicative Auction Draft prices from the last 3 years! This Auction Draft can be run on www.superdraftfantasy.com and you can then plug your completed teams into the SuperCoach Draft website via a standard Snake draft.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you want any more data for your cheat sheet! I have a fair bit stockpiled haha!

Last edited:
www.superdraftfantasy.com Auction Draft Projections have Laird valued at $24, the 16th most expensive player!!!! It seems that your friend has jumped the gun drafting him at #5 :think:!!!! It could have been worse though...he could have drafted Docherty! A friend of mine tried drafting Brent Guerra one year...about 2 years after he had retired!
Although your spreadsheet is a nice resource it isnt very accurate as it doesnt take into account team/league structures.

A players value in the draft is heavily influenced by the team structure your league permits and also the amount of players in your league.

Thee value of premo defenders increases once you remove Doc from the equation. The player you expect to be the top defender is very much worthy of a first round pick this season, particularly if you have a large league.

Got pick 1 in our ten-team league (4/5/1/4 and 4 setup)

Whilst I'm happy to get Danger I'd probably rather have pick 5/6 to keep it consistent

How did everyone else's drafts go?

Got offered Savage and Greenwood for my Burton and Omeara.

I'm kind of considering it based on Savages recent scoring and Zak Jones is on the waiver wire so I could drop Greenwood for him.
Thoughts???

I'm kind of considering it based on Savages recent scoring and Zak Jones is on the waiver wire so I could drop Greenwood for him.
Thoughts???

I wouldn't be trading Burton.
It shows that the other bloke reckons Savage is a flash in the pan if he's straight away trying to dish him off after 2 good JLT games.
If you want Savage offer him something else instead.
Greenwood is very much in no man's land this year being a mid only.

Thoughts???
Savage and Burton are on pretty even ground, so he would need to offer something a bit better then Greenwood in exchange for JOM

How has everyone else's top 10/20 picks gone?

I'm expecting the top 5 for my draft on Sunday to be:
Danger
Dusty
Kelly
Fyfe
Mitchell

Hard to predict from there even

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back