Draft Profile 2018 Mature Aged Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

WAFL Combined Media/Club overall best player lists tally
(All players including over 26's as a comparison to the mature aged draft list)
Quite a few ex AFL veterans featuring prominently this season

210 Jye Bolton (CL)
199 Shane Nelson (WP)
195 Kyal Horsley (S)
194 Aaron Black (WP)
180 George Hampson (EF)
168 Brant Colledge (P), Marlion Pickett (SF)
154 Danyle Pearce** (PT), Ben Howlett (PT)
149 Clint Jones (P)
142 Tony Notte (SD)
139 Cody Leggett (P)
136 Rhys Palmer (SD)
135 Andrew Strijk (WP)
133 Corey Yeo (P), Jayden Schofield (EF)
131 Luke Meadows (WP)
128 Haydn Busher (CL)
125 Nic Suban (SF), Lachlan Delahunty (S)
121 Dylan Main (SF)
120 Cam Eardley (EF)
118 Jared Hardisty (CL), Chris Phelan (S)
117 Jono Marsh (EF)
113 Kane Mitchell (CL)
112 Matt Riggio (SD)
108 Tobe Watson (SD)
107 Haiden Schloithe (SF)
105 Josh DeLuca (S)
103 Blair Bell (PT)
102 Hayden Kennedy (S)
101 Corey Gault (SD)
Nelson and Bolton have been racking em up for years.

What are their deficiencies?

Whos the best mature age ruckman in the wafl who would be able to step into an afl team if needed ? Clarke?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Whos the best mature age ruckman in the wafl who would be able to step into an afl team if needed ? Clarke?

Probably Clarke if a club needed a short term option.

Oliver Eastland is a very good player from Claremont.

Nathan Blakely of Swan Districts (Brother of Connor at Fremantle) is an absolute workhorse.

Nelson and Bolton have been racking em up for years.

What are their deficiencies?

I guess some have said that Nelson doesn't get as much value from his numerous possessions as he should. A lot of short kicks, handpasses in tight and so on. I'll let others decide on that.

I can't see any down points for Bolton. He's tall-ish, powerful, can run outside, compete inside and he can kick with penetration. He'd be a Tim Kelly like instant impact player in the AFL.

The video of the 2018 WAFL v SANFL game is worth watching. Bolton, Meadows, Marsh and Nelson all feature

http://www.wafootball.com.au/news/14544/2018-state-game-live-stream

I guess some have said that Nelson doesn't get as much value from his numerous possessions as he should. A lot of short kicks, handpasses in tight and so on. I'll let others decide on that.

I can't see any down points for Bolton. He's tall-ish, powerful, can run outside, compete inside and he can kick with penetration. He'd be a Tim Kelly like instant impact player in the AFL.

The video of the 2018 WAFL v SANFL game is worth watching. Bolton, Meadows, Marsh and Nelson all feature

http://www.wafootball.com.au/news/14544/2018-state-game-live-stream
Is marsh playing in the backline.?

Must say, that is a good list to have a look at Futbolista

Have tried to compile something even remotely close to a 20 possible draftee's from the VFL and it is either stacked with VFL warriors like Ben Jolley, Former AFL players not quite good enough for the highest level like Eli Templeton & Adam Marcon or kids who were overlooked for one reason or another and just plying there trade to see "what if" like Tom Sullivan, Aaron Heppell.

For arguments sake, this would be my updated top 10 most likely VFL draftees;

1. Sam Collins (Weribee)
2. Corey Rich (Frankston)
3. Josh Corbett (Weribee)
4. Billy Hayes (Footscray)
5. Michael Gibbons (Williamstown)
6. Jay Lockhart (Casey)
7. Marcus Lentini (Coburg)
8. Callan Wellings (Collingwood VFL)
9. Nick Hind (Essendon VFL)
10. Tom Atkins (Geelong VFL)

Have tried to compile something even remotely close to a 20 possible draftee's from the VFL and it is either stacked with VFL warriors like Ben Jolley, Former AFL players not quite good enough for the highest level like Eli Templeton & Adam Marcon or kids who were overlooked for one reason or another and just plying there trade to see "what if" like Tom Sullivan, Aaron Heppell.

1. Sam Collins (Weribee)
6. Jay Lockhart (Casey)
Best performed mature age ruckman in the vfl?

Probably Clarke if a club needed a short term option.

Oliver Eastland is a very good player from Claremont.

Nathan Blakely of Swan Districts (Brother of Connor at Fremantle) is an absolute workhorse.
What's the knock on Oliver Eastland? Too short to make a big impact? There aren't any VFL rucks not on an AFL list worth anything right now. How's Jeremy Goddard going? Still not finding enough of the pill?

1. Sam Collins (Weribee)
6. Jay Lockhart (Casey)
Would have Corbett at #1. Bloke looks seriously impressive IMO. Glad you rate Lentini highly, probably my favourite player in the VF right now (with heavy bias there though).

Still think Porter has something to offer as a stop gap as well.

Best performed mature age ruckman in the vfl?

Not on an AFL list?

No one that realy scream out "pick me" this year. If anything, perhaps Lewis Pierce who has been playing at Frankston in some weird alliance (listed by St.Kilda) has dominated the hitouts. Could be prised away in the logjamb of talls at Moorabbin.

Hayden McClean went undrafted last year has played some minutes in the ruck for Sandringham but would get monstered at AFL level. Kieran Strachan shows a bit. a 22/23 year old more KPP than ruckmen but has the height and mobility to work around the ground.

What's the knock on Oliver Eastland? Too short to make a big impact? There aren't any VFL rucks not on an AFL list worth anything right now. How's Jeremy Goddard going? Still not finding enough of the pill?

Goddard is stuck in the reserves. I think he's okay though. Claremont always have a lot of good kids coming through who are competing for a game.

I would grab Eastland. I know he's "only" 196cm but he's so competitive that I think he would get the job done for an AFL club.

Pretty good numbers until injury struck. http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/6455

Would have Corbett at #1. Bloke looks seriously impressive IMO. Glad you rate Lentini highly, probably my favourite player in the VF right now (with heavy bias there though).

Still think Porter has something to offer as a stop gap as well.

Sam Collins will win the J.J Liston trophy. The bloke is far too good to not be on an AFL list!

As for the rest of the list, Corbett shows a bit, as does Rich who is younger and is a more explosive option imho.

Lentini is just a work horse. Screams Shane Nelson to me though. Someone who you look at post game and think how the hell did he get it 35 times?

Not on an AFL list?

No one that realy scream out "pick me" this year. If anything, perhaps Lewis Pierce who has been playing at Frankston in some weird alliance (listed by St.Kilda) has dominated the hitouts. Could be prised away in the logjamb of talls at Moorabbin.

Hayden McClean went undrafted last year has played some minutes in the ruck for Sandringham but would get monstered at AFL level. Kieran Strachan shows a bit. a 22/23 year old more KPP than ruckmen but has the height and mobility to work around the ground.
Thanks,
The eagles will be looking around for a mature body im guessing this offseason

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goddard is stuck in the reserves. I think he's okay though. Claremont always have a lot of good kids coming through who are competing for a game.

I would grab Eastland. I know he's "only" 196cm but he's so competitive that I think he would get the job done for an AFL club.

Does Eastland have a POD? Cam Pederson is what he sounds like. Cam was able to play anywhere which made him so attractive to North. Still repaying the faith now.

Thanks,
The eagles will be looking around for a mature body im guessing this offseason

To be frank, would think a lower listed ruckmen would be a better option on an AFL list than any running around in the VFL this year. Not sure about the other state leagues though.

Does Eastland have a POD? Cam Pederson is what he sounds like. Cam was able to play anywhere which made him so attractive to North. Still repaying the faith now.

Not too sure who he compares to. As you say Pederson perhaps. And he's only 20, so plenty of upside.

I'm a big fan of Collins. Saw him stop Subi too many times. I guess Lyon didn't rate him? One coach's opinion shouldn't spell the end of an AFL career.

Not too sure who he compares to. As you say Pederson perhaps. And he's only 20, so plenty of upside.

I'm a big fan of Collins. Saw him stop Subi too many times. I guess Lyon didn't rate him? One coach's opinion shouldn't spell the end of an AFL career.
Collins has added intercept marking to his skill set which I never saw at Box Hill or Freo.

Collins has added intercept marking to his skill set which I never saw at Box Hill or Freo.

That's what he was doing for Peel. Subi would try and kick it over him but he was there. They would try to kick it wide of him to the left or right and somehow he quite often got there too! A Rahul Dravid wall.

Is marsh playing in the backline.?

He's been playing back and mid. His performance deep in defence for WA against SA was outstanding. Could probably play CHF or FF at WAFL level if required. As was pointed out to me he was a required player in the AFL and chose to leave. Maybe he's got the desire back?

Seen him live twice now and he is too good for VFL level. Is only 24 which shouldn't spell the end for a player. Looked a class above on the weekend against our mob. Has genuine leg speed which separates him apart from other likely mature aged KPD's.

That is quite literally him summed up as a player though. His competitiveness and intercepting ability.
At Box Hill for me was his ability to lock down on a player IMO

WAFL Combined Media/Club overall best player lists tally
(All players including over 26's as a comparison to the mature aged draft list)
Quite a few ex AFL veterans featuring prominently this season

210 Jye Bolton (CL)
199 Shane Nelson (WP)
195 Kyal Horsley (S)
194 Aaron Black (WP)
180 George Hampson (EF)
168 Brant Colledge (P), Marlion Pickett (SF)
154 Danyle Pearce** (PT), Ben Howlett (PT)
149 Clint Jones (P)
142 Tony Notte (SD)
139 Cody Leggett (P)
136 Rhys Palmer (SD)
135 Andrew Strijk (WP)
133 Corey Yeo (P), Jayden Schofield (EF)
131 Luke Meadows (WP)
128 Haydn Busher (CL)
125 Nic Suban (SF), Lachlan Delahunty (S)
121 Dylan Main (SF)
120 Cam Eardley (EF)
118 Jared Hardisty (CL), Chris Phelan (S)
117 Jono Marsh (EF)
113 Kane Mitchell (CL)
112 Matt Riggio (SD)
108 Tobe Watson (SD)
107 Haiden Schloithe (SF)
105 Josh DeLuca (S)
103 Blair Bell (PT)
102 Hayden Kennedy (S)
101 Corey Gault (SD)

Quick question why these two guys were never given an opportunity at the higher level? Always do well at state level but thats where the interest seems to stop. Hewett in particular always does well stat wise.

He's been playing back and mid. His performance deep in defence for WA against SA was outstanding. Could probably play CHF or FF at WAFL level if required. As was pointed out to me he was a required player in the AFL and chose to leave. Maybe he's got the desire back?
Hope he has ,could be a handy pick up if the eagles lose McGovern or even gaff with his versatility

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Profile 2018 Mature Aged Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Back