Draft Profile 2018 Mature Aged Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm stunned Zac Clarke isn't listed here. He's had a terrific season in the ruck for Subiaco. Deserves to be back on an AFL list in 2019.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
He'll be 29 at the start of the season.

Any reason for that ?

I still think Zac will be thought about
Most state league rucks get drafted in their early 20's. As for why, Richmond's only genuine ruck at the time IIRC was Maric and they needed depth, Big O was one of the best state league rucks at the time.

Most state league rucks get drafted in their early 20's. As for why, Richmond's only genuine ruck at the time IIRC was Maric and they needed depth, Big O was one of the best state league rucks at the time.
Wasnt he originay drafted by Geelong at 27? Delisted later and then went to tigers as a rookie i think from memory.

Wasnt he originay drafted by Geelong at 27? Delisted later and then went to tigers as a rookie i think from memory.
Yep, you're right, although he was 29.

Whoever needs a freebie. Experienced ruck. Dirt cheap. Plug and play.
We do, for 1-2 years while Tim English develops so being 29 isn't the huge hindrance it presents for most clubs.

Obviously he's failed to stick at two clubs before, but what is the reason Jordan Lisle can't make it at AFL level? He's once again leading the goalkicking in the VFL (led the league in both 2015 and 2017 as well), and has kicked 142 goals in 63 games in the VFL over the past 3 1/2 seasons (since the start of 2015). Is it just age at this point (will be 28 years old by the end of this year)?

We do, for 1-2 years while Tim English develops so being 29 isn't the huge hindrance it presents for most clubs.

Born 1990, so you can potentially get 2-3 years out of him at least (even if 1-2 of those is just as rookie list depth), form and fitness permitting.

Clarke has always been a good athlete, but it's fitness and motivation and the mental side that has held him back over time. It seemed like whenever he made a step forward as a Docker, he either got injured, lost confidence, or had another ruck step ahead of him. There were also periods where he was played as a ruck-rover (2011) and forward (2012) with interesting results.

Apparently had a fair bit of interest from a few clubs at the end of last year, too. I'm guessing clubs were weary due to his injury history, but if he's shown a full season of fitness and (just as importantly) good form in the WAFL, he's worthy of a shot for a club like the Bulldogs, who are crying out for a proper mature ruckman.

Born 1990, so you can potentially get 2-3 years out of him at least (even if 1-2 of those is just as rookie list depth), form and fitness permitting.

Clarke has always been a good athlete, but it's fitness and motivation and the mental side that has held him back over time. It seemed like whenever he made a step forward as a Docker, he either got injured, lost confidence, or had another ruck step ahead of him. There were also periods where he was played as a ruck-rover (2011) and forward (2012) with interesting results.

Apparently had a fair bit of interest from a few clubs at the end of last year, too. I'm guessing clubs were weary due to his injury history, but if he's shown a full season of fitness and (just as importantly) good form in the WAFL, he's worthy of a shot for a club like the Bulldogs, who are crying out for a proper mature ruckman.
From memory we asked the question 1 or 2 times as well, especially after the year Sandi was out and Zac played well as a no 1 ruck.

He'd cost base salary I imagine and a late draft pick with not much competition for a 29 year old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously he's failed to stick at two clubs before, but what is the reason Jordan Lisle can't make it at AFL level? He's once again leading the goalkicking in the VFL (led the league in both 2015 and 2017 as well), and has kicked 142 goals in 63 games in the VFL over the past 3 1/2 seasons (since the start of 2015). Is it just age at this point (will be 28 years old by the end of this year)?
Too slow, set shot isn't great, even though his hands are like a vice grip. If he had another very good quality he'd have been snapped up in the 2015 draft.

Even more staggering is the Hawks managed to snaffle that years AA U18 CHB & CHF.

Only problem, they played said CHB forward and said CHF at CHF.

One is a borderline AFL player, albeit premiership player, the other is playing VFL footy to get by.

Even more staggering is the Hawks managed to snaffle that years AA U18 CHB & CHF.

One is a borderline AFL player, albeit premiership player, the other is playing VFL footy to get by.
Schoenmakers and Lisle?

They also whiffed on two other key position prospects selected in the top 10 of the draft as well - Beau Dowler (Pick #6, 2005 National Draft) and Mitch Thorp (Pick #6, 2006 National Draft).

Pretty amazing how much success the Hawks have had over the past 10-15 years, when you think of the talents that didn't make it or didn't live up to expectations at Hawthorn. Drafting that would set other clubs back years just doesn't seem to have affected them in the slightest.

Too big and slow for AFL I'd say.

I reckon Geelong will take Siggins this year. Hasn't shot the lights out form wise but has all the tools physically and athletically to play AFL, most state league players don't have that.

Fair enough, but given the number of AFL-affiliated clubs and gameplans, and AFL-listed players he'd be coming up against, surely there'd be seen to be some sort of translation of ability between the levels?

Lisle always dominated the NEAFL when he got dropped from Brisbane’s senior team. He seemed timid and lethargic at AFL level, but then for some reason was a different player at reserves level. I think his ship has sailed. Brisbane got rid of him when he was 24yo, killing it in the NEAFL, at a time when we were crying out for key position players and Brown had just retired. If he can’t make it in those circumstances, I don’t think he ever will.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

WAFL update after round 13

1-Jye Bolton (CL)
2-Marlion Pickett (SF)
3-Luke Meadows (WP)
4-Cody Leggett (P)
5-Jono Marsh (EF)
6-Haiden Schloithe (SF)
7-Michael Bennell (P)
8-Shane Nelson (WP)
9-Josh DeLuca (S)
10-Oliver Eastland (CL)
11-Brant Colledge (P)
12-Corey Gault (SD)
13-Tyler Keitel (WP)
14-Warrick Wilson (SD)
15-Corey Byrne (P)
16-Dylan Main (SF)
17-Jared Hardisty (CL)
18-Bailey Rogers (CL)
19-Blair Bell (PT)
20-Cody Ninyette (P)
21-Jacob Miller (S)
22-William Reidy (SD)
23-Jordan Boullineau (PT)
24-Tobe Watson (SD)
25-Michael Sinclair (P)
26-Jesse Turner (SD)
27-Dylan Smallwood (CL)
28-Jarrad Jansen (EF)
29-Stan Wright (EP)
30-Ryan Borchet (S)

Watching - Michael Tassone (PT), Jack Beeck (CL), Nathan Blakely (SD), Ben Sokol (S), Julian Ameduri (EP), Sean Fletcher (EF), Jacob Dragovich (SF), Brandon Donaldson (SF), Cam Loersch (EF), Jaxon Cahill (EP), Mitchell Peirce (WP), Taryce Stewart (SD), Matthew Palfrey (CL), Declan Hardisty (CL), Matthew Parker (SF), Kaiden Gilbert (CL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Profile 2018 Mature Aged Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Back