Draft Profile 2018 Mature Aged Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

What are the knocks on Cody Leggett? Great stats, 188cm 93kg, 22yo and has a big kick. I haven't seen him much as I don't live in WA now.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

No knocks. He's a class act. Strong, makes good decisions and can go forward. Kicked 7 goals in a league game in 2016.

But recovering from injury and didn't play a league game in 2017. So this is his comeback season.

Still behind Liam Ryan this time last year

I think it would be fairer to compare to Ryan's first year. From what I have seen, Bennell does better the small stuff that is required at AFL level like chasing and tackling than what Ryan did in his first. Bennell can also legitimately play small and tall because of his height; there is less standing on people's heads and more just speed+height+good hands.

The age difference (Ryan at 21 versus Bennell at 24) is the biggest kicker. If he was 22 I would think he would have a really good chance to get drafted because he is basically a utility forward that can do a range of roles with some serious x factor. At 24, it could happen but I think it really would come down to what is his attitude like, his base fitness levels and so forth.

For mine, he looks the most promising mature ager in the WAFL this year.

I think it would be fairer to compare to Ryan's first year. From what I have seen, Bennell does better the small stuff that is required at AFL level like chasing and tackling than what Ryan did in his first. Bennell can also legitimately play small and tall because of his height; there is less standing on people's heads and more just speed+height+good hands.

The age difference (Ryan at 21 versus Bennell at 24) is the biggest kicker. If he was 22 I would think he would have a really good chance to get drafted because he is basically a utility forward that can do a range of roles with some serious x factor. At 24, it could happen but I think it really would come down to what is his attitude like, his base fitness levels and so forth.

For mine, he looks the most promising mature ager in the WAFL this year.
Liam Ryan went in the second round and Bennell could be rookie listed. The age thing will reduce his draft ranking.

Who would be the best mature ager from any of the state leagues as a high pressure, tackling, harassing small forward?

Doesn't have to get a heap of the ball or kick goals regularly.

WAFL Mature Age update after round 12

1-Jye Bolton (CL)
2-Marlion Pickett (SF)
3-Cody Leggett (P)
4-Luke Meadows (WP)
5-Jono Marsh (EF)
6-Haiden Schloithe (SF)
7-Michael Bennell (P)
8-Shane Nelson (WP)
9-Josh DeLuca (S)
10-Oliver Eastland (CL)
11-Warrick Wilson (SD)
12-Corey Gault (SD)
13-Tyler Keitel (WP)
14-Dylan Main (SF)
15-William Reidy (SD)
16-Jordan Boullineau (PT)
17-Corey Byrne (P)
18-Blair Bell (PT)
19-Bailey Rogers (CL)
20-Cody Ninyette (P)
21-Jarred Jansen (EF)
22-Brant Colledge (P)
23-Jacob Miller (S)
24-Jared Hardisty (CL)
25-Tobe Watson (SD)
26-Michael Sinclair (P)
27-Jesse Turner (SD)
28-Dylan Smallwood (CL)
29-Stan Wright (EP)
30-Taryce Stewart (SD)

Watching - Declan Hardisty (CL), Tommy Edwards-Baldwin (S), Kaiden Gilbert (CL), Matthew Palfrey (SD), Nathan Blakely (SD), Jaxon Cahill (EP), Julian Ameduri (EP), Matthew Parker (SF), Brandon Donaldson (SF), Jacob Dragovich (SF), Ben Sokol (S), Connor West (WP), Mitchell Peirce (WP), Dylan Winton (EF), Cam Loersch (EF), Sean Fletcher (EF)

ranking wise how could you not have howlett top 5? won't get redrafted clearly but is killing it.

heard deluca is a good chance to get picked up again by a club

WAFL Mature Age update after round 12

1-Jye Bolton (CL)
2-Marlion Pickett (SF)
3-Cody Leggett (P)
4-Luke Meadows (WP)
5-Jono Marsh (EF)
6-Haiden Schloithe (SF)
7-Michael Bennell (P)
8-Shane Nelson (WP)
9-Josh DeLuca (S)
10-Oliver Eastland (CL)
11-Warrick Wilson (SD)
12-Corey Gault (SD)
13-Tyler Keitel (WP)
14-Dylan Main (SF)
15-William Reidy (SD)
16-Jordan Boullineau (PT)
17-Corey Byrne (P)
18-Blair Bell (PT)
19-Bailey Rogers (CL)
20-Cody Ninyette (P)
21-Jarred Jansen (EF)
22-Brant Colledge (P)
23-Jacob Miller (S)
24-Jared Hardisty (CL)
25-Tobe Watson (SD)
26-Michael Sinclair (P)
27-Jesse Turner (SD)
28-Dylan Smallwood (CL)
29-Stan Wright (EP)
30-Taryce Stewart (SD)

Watching - Declan Hardisty (CL), Tommy Edwards-Baldwin (S), Kaiden Gilbert (CL), Matthew Palfrey (SD), Nathan Blakely (SD), Jaxon Cahill (EP), Julian Ameduri (EP), Matthew Parker (SF), Brandon Donaldson (SF), Jacob Dragovich (SF), Ben Sokol (S), Connor West (WP), Mitchell Peirce (WP), Dylan Winton (EF), Cam Loersch (EF), Sean Fletcher (EF)

Michael Bennell still can't make you're top 5 on a side note Corey Gault is no longer interested returning to the AFL mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm stunned Zac Clarke isn't listed here. He's had a terrific season in the ruck for Subiaco. Deserves to be back on an AFL list in 2019.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

How's his knee??

Up for aFL footy.
In the games I've seen him in he hasn't looked troubled by the knee at all. When he's played Peel he's gone up against 3 AFL listed ruckmen and beaten them all. Look at his stats, he's just getting better as the season goes on. He's taking his marks, kicking goals. Very well rounded.
019a9303e1ac659a8b7b59d27245e73f.jpg

In the games I've seen him in he hasn't looked troubled by the knee at all. When he's played Peel he's gone up against 3 AFL listed ruckmen and beaten them all. Look at his stats, he's just getting better as the season goes on. He's taking his marks, kicking goals. Very well rounded.
019a9303e1ac659a8b7b59d27245e73f.jpg

Geelong , Adelaide , Port ,Eagles ?

Pie 4 Life and Knightmare, you guys should keep an eye out on the mature agers this year. A seriously larger group of guys overlooked last year are turning out in the VFL and doing great things.

Callan Wellings continues to impress for the VFL magpies, Ethan Penrith continues to show AFL traits for the Northern Blues. Marcus Lentini is averaging almost 30 touches a games whilst Mitch Podhajski has not played a bad game for Coburg this year.

Add in guys who are still young enough to improve but overlooked, *points to Alex Harnett, Corey Rich (Frankston Dolphins), Michael Gibbons, Brett Bewley (Williamstown), Billy Hayes (Footscray VFL), Nash Holmes (North Melbourne VFL) and now kids like Josh Corbett have come from no where. Then there are the overlooked, returning AFL types who could likely get a second chance. Sam Collins continues to impress. Eli Templeton is killing games.

ranking wise how could you not have howlett top 5? won't get redrafted clearly but is killing it.

heard deluca is a good chance to get picked up again by a club

I'm only including players who are 26 or under as draft chances. These are by no means the best players in the comp. Kyal Horsley would probably take that honour this season.

Pie 4 Life and Knightmare, you guys should keep an eye out on the mature agers this year. A seriously larger group of guys overlooked last year are turning out in the VFL and doing great things.

Callan Wellings continues to impress for the VFL magpies, Ethan Penrith continues to show AFL traits for the Northern Blues. Marcus Lentini is averaging almost 30 touches a games whilst Mitch Podhajski has not played a bad game for Coburg this year.

Add in guys who are still young enough to improve but overlooked, *points to Alex Harnett, Corey Rich (Frankston Dolphins), Michael Gibbons, Brett Bewley (Williamstown), Billy Hayes (Footscray VFL), Nash Holmes (North Melbourne VFL) and now kids like Josh Corbett have come from no where. Then there are the overlooked, returning AFL types who could likely get a second chance. Sam Collins continues to impress. Eli Templeton is killing games.
I think the big things for me when it comes to mature agers is whether they can improve on the areas that saw them go unselected in the bottom age year.

Wellings - his hurt factor was the big thing, as well as his hardness at the contest.
Penrith - his decision making and overly high clanger count was the major concern.
Lentini - again, decision making was the big factor for him.
Podhajski - I thought he'd done enough to get drafted last year, but I suspect it was because he probably won't play KPP at AFL level, which he was playing at TAC Cup, so he needed more midfield minutes, which he's getting this year.

Harnett I liked in his draft year, if my mind serves me right, hard as a cats head. Gibbons was unlucky not to go in his draft year, he was one of the stronger performers, and a top bloke. I'd love to see him drafted, but again hurt factor was the big question mark. Nash Holmes was another that could have gone either way when he played for Gippy. Corey Rich has obviously improved since TAC Cup because his output there was not enough to warrant a draft spot. Bewley and Hayes are two I haven't seen much of so won't comment.

I'd be surprised if someone didn't take a punt on Podhajski this year at least.

Always do and always have mature agers in my power rankings somewhere.

Podhajski particularly I'm very high on.

Can see a few of those you suggest getting picked. Rich of those particularly is garnering a lot of itnerest.

Just to clarify, the above list I compiled is a draft u/26 guide rather than a WAFL best players list.
Below is a better guide to the best performers in the WAFL in 2018
I went through the newspapers and the club best listing and added them up (Took hours) and this is how it looked. Lots of over 26's

179 Jye Bolton (CL)
164 Aaron Black (WP), Kyal Horsley (S)
158 Shane Nelson (WP)
138 Ben Howlett (PT)
136 George Hampson (EF)
133 Brant Colledge (P)
129 Clint Jones (P)
128 Haydn Busher (CL)
125 Jayden Schofield (EF)
121 Rhys Palmer (SD), Luke Meadows (WP), Corey Yeo (P)
116 Andrew Strijk (WP)
115 Cody Leggett (P)
110 Marlion Pickett (SF)
104 Tony Notte (SD)
103 Jono Marsh (EF)

Last edited:

Article from afl.com.au on Josh Corbett. (Surely his nickname is Ronnie?)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-24/meet-the-vfl-forward-your-afl-club-needs

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Profile 2018 Mature Aged Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Back