List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just drove past Jack Steven and Simon Lethlean crossing the road in McKinnon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was probably just a hobo trying to nest in Stuv's mullet.

Dreaming. St. Kilda will not get a priority pick this year, since the club won 23 matches in 2016-17.

Don't be shocked if we do. I have heard from a good source that the AFL think our list is terrible and of a major concern. It's probably technically the worst with no superstars to bring people to games and if Stuv leaves as well we will be pretty well entrenched as a bottom 4 club for a long time yet.

Simon Lethlean will split our first to secure 2 experienced players - don't like it but if we can get some leadership.
Expect Tomlinson
Yuk can’t stand him, what’s with the leadership routine is this the clubs new version of we’re a top 4 side.

What leadership would Tomlinson provide? We have some young guys fair enough but there’s plenty of experienced guys mixed in.

Geary, Brown, Carlisle, Robertson just in the backline. Steven and armitage in the middle etc.

Of course not going to complain if we do get a PP, other clubs have had pretty big advantages over the past decade that we have not had. As a general principle though, I don't think they should be given out upon AFL opinion about list quality. Although many commentators feel our list is poor, it is still a subjective opinion, whereas number of wins/years out of finals etc are objective measures.

I just hope this group comes out and proves popular opinion wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course not going to complain if we do get a PP, other clubs have had pretty big advantages over the past decade that we have not had. As a general principle though, I don't think they should be given out upon AFL opinion about list quality. Although many commentators feel our list is poor, it is still a subjective opinion, whereas number of wins/years out of finals etc are objective measures.

I just hope this group comes out and proves popular opinion wrong.

Carlton have the most first round pick of any side in history but will get one. Subjectively you could say that any more won't help now but 5 years into the future they will have had a massive leg up. GC have had a similar run at high picks but are no good.

Yuk can’t stand him, what’s with the leadership routine is this the clubs new version of we’re a top 4 side.

What leadership would Tomlinson provide? We have some young guys fair enough but there’s plenty of experienced guys mixed in.

Geary, Brown, Carlisle, Robertson just in the backline. Steven and armitage in the middle etc.
Tomlinson is a player who can player anywhere - this why they want him - fill any hole , but i feel if they take him it will be a 2nd round pick

Carlton have the most first round pick of any side in history but will get one. Subjectively you could say that any more won't help now but 5 years into the future they will have had a massive leg up. GC have had a similar run at high picks but are no good.

I don't get what you are meaning.

Geelong’s drive to continually land A-grade stars in the trade period is showing no signs of abating, with the Cats making a play for St Kilda gun Jack Steven.

It comes as Geelong publicly declared on Monday that it was embarking on a “deep analysis” of its list management strategy.

Steven, who hails from Lorne, has long been on the Cats’ radar and The Age can confirm that Geelong has contacted both the Saints and Steven's management about his availability.

Steven is contracted until the end of 2020 and St Kilda remains adamant that he will not be considered as a player that could be traded.

The 28 year-old will be the favourite to take out his fourth Trevor Barker Award at the club’s best and fairest this year and is seen by many at the club as the Saints’ spiritual leader.

The Age understands that Steven was keen on knowing the direction of the club during his recent exit interview, but that he’s shown no signs of wanting to leave.

Geelong’s pursuit of Steven comes as CEO Brian Cook candidly conceded on Monday that his football department may have to rethink its recruiting strategy moving forward.

“There’s no doubt about that. The analysis has begun for us since the weekend.” Cook said on SEN.

Steven has been courted by Geelong in the past.

Photo: AAP
“It’s probably time for a really good look at what we’re doing, right through into our playing list and our style.

“You’ve got to make a decision at some stage as to whether you really go all in to win a premiership or try to stick around eighth. We have to talk about those things.

“We have to decide whether we continue to go through both, or whether we 'err' on one side [or] we go back to simply drafting kids."

Geelong has been an admirer of Steven for several years now.

The surf coast local met with the Cats at the end of 2014 before turning his back on free agency to sign a five year contract to remain at St Kilda.

Steven is a crucial figure for the next period at the Saints.

Not only is he arguably their best player but he’s also significant because he will help attract other players to the club.

RELATED ARTICLE
GEELONG CATS
Geelong report card: Are the Cats coming or going?
The Saints will look to be aggressive in the upcoming trade period.

As reported by The Age last week, they have joined the race with Hawthorn, Essendon and Carlton to attempt to lure Dylan Shiel from Greater Western Sydney, and the club still remains poised to land contracted Sydney Swan Dan Hannebery.

Steven would be the perfect inclusion into Chris Scott’s side next year, particularly if they lost gun first year recruit Tim Kelly who is open to a move back home to Western Australia.

But even if the Saints did entertain a trade for Steven at all, the other challenging part of the equation would be Geelong trading for him.

The Cats’ first round selection – currently pick 12 – wouldn’t go near satisfying a trade for a player of Steven’s calibre.

Tomlinson is a player who can player anywhere - this why they want him - fill any hole , but i feel if they take him it will be a 2nd round pick
Watching the GWS game the other night I thought Tomlinson looked like a seriously good player. Would be comfortable playing midfield and is a bull. I'd love to get him.

Nothing will come of the Jack Steven talk. We will ask the world for him and no club will want to give it up. Especially Geeling who seemed to have realised that giving away high picks for older players is not getting them anywhere.

This is a guess. It is not fact.

solid guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back