List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

If he is moving for money or career opportunity we are offering the most money and not sure what you mean by career opportunity but I can't see anything the Blues have that we don't.

You misunderstand me.
You mentioned that they were dangling the carrot of becoming a legend at the club if we win a second premiership.

My point was that would not be a contributing factor towards enticing any player to come from another club. Money and opportunity yes, the thought of being celebrated as a legend, no.

What the Blues MIGHT have had in their favour was that he supported the club growing up but he has no emotional attachment to us and that’s why I think that was not a selling point.

Lynch wanted out ... it would have been madness to match an offer to keep a player against his wanting ... what output do you think you would get from a guy you are basically forcing to stay ?

for all out bad points as a team we at least dont have the issue of players we want to keep wanting out

They got Miles and Corey Ellis and pick 3 for Lynch it just wasn't on the paperwork.

This is as depressing as it gets!
How the f#ck has Dildo pulled this one out of his arse?
Salary cap? what salary cap? This scumbag organisation that nearly brought
the comp to it's knees with it's disgraceful actions not only got away with it in real terms
barring a slap on the wrist and a year off to help them reset as their list at the time was going nowhere!

So we'll reward the turds with the No 1 pick and a f#cking priority on top if you dont mind!
Since then they have gone on a recruiting drive that rivals North in the 70's!
Little brown paper bags seem to be back in fashion!

As for Shiel......F#ck him! Never rated the shoulder taping soft **** anyway!
Equalisation is a total farce.

The AFL is set up to support the big clubs and we are clearly seen as nothing more than an also ran to keep the 18 team committment.

Definitely the worst outcome, I was really hoping we'd get Shiel just so we used pick 4 to bring a midfielder. Now looking very likely we'll select King at 4.

I'm not doubting he'll be a good player but we are overstocked with talls and to win a premiership you need a good midfield/good forward pressure which King will not help with
I don't understand why we pick another tall when we need mids and just missed on Shiel.
They need to target another big fish or draft Smith.

I’d be looking to offload players to see what other high end picks we can snare - it’s mini rebuild time and this draft is supposedly good enough talent wise to support that. Our next crop of kids, beyond Armitage/Steven era, look good. Build to support them
Wingard has done nothing for 3 years - Port know now is the time to move an inconsistent campaigner on and we are dumb enough to win that prize...

I would love to see us be brave and move on one or two of our big blokes.

If the clubs position is to draft king with pick 4, I'd be keeping Battle, Membrey and RoMo. But if a decent offer was made for Paddy and Bruce I'd certainly entertain it. If we could package Bruce and Lonie together and get close to the Pies pick 18, I'd be absolutely stoked.

Here's what I think of the Shiel news:

It confirms the penalty wasn't sufficient enough, and Essendon will break the rules again at some point, if they haven't already.

There are some who lament, on some level, Carlton's decline. A small part of me does because an up-and-about Carlton was good for football on some level the same way the fact Richmond are that way now is. But Carlton were made to pay, and now they don't have the hutzpah to dare to break the rules. Carlton is now to GWS what St Kilda was to Carlton in the 1980s.

But Essendon's penalty wasn't strong enough. A culture, personified by the appointment by acclimation by the Essendon members, of James Hird as coach, was one where Hird felt he could do no wrong. In a consequences free atmosphere they felt fine injecting their own players with unknown substances.

This is a club that has learned little because they only was they would learn is the way Carlton did: through many, many years of bitter tears. But no, they are back as a destination club (in fact its the first time in their history, they've always developed their own) and that will fuel that pathological arrogance inside their supporters which manifests themselves in their born-to-rule attitude to the rest of the league.

End communication.

So the entire club plus a fair chunk of the Media have no clue. Good to know where you stand on it.
Can we be clear on this, are you seriously trying to tell me that the club and media thought we were a top 8 side last year?.

So a side that lost some great players and an out and out champion who couldn’t make the finals was somehow going to magically transform into a finals side under the coaching of Richo.

To suggest some calamity will befall the club if we just take our picks to the draft is just ridiculous imo. The clubs that continue to fail are usually the ones who misread how good their list is and refuse to take the time to rebuild properly.

Hannebery, roberton, Bruce some bit players and an easier draw will ensure we outperform this year. That together with improvement from our kids and a shinny new pick 4 gun will be enough to keep most supporters happy imo.

You misunderstand me.
You mentioned that they were dangling the carrot of becoming a legend at the club if we win a second premiership.

My point was that would not be a contributing factor towards enticing any player to come from another club. Money and opportunity yes, the thought of being celebrated as a legend, no.

What the Blues MIGHT have had in their favour was that he supported the club growing up but he has no emotional attachment to us and that’s why I think that was not a selling point.
No I don't know what the pitch was I was just commenting as a supporter.

I think it definitely would be a contributing factor, same as the fact that the Giants boys wanted to stick together to win the clubs first flag before salary cap issues caved in. But we can agree to disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we be clear on this, are you seriously trying to tell me that the club and media thought we were a top 8 side last year?.

So a side that lost some great players and an out and out champion who couldn’t make the finals was somehow going to magically transform into a finals side under the coaching of Richo.

To suggest some calamity will befall the club if we just take our picks to the draft is just ridiculous imo. The clubs that continue to fail are usually the ones who misread how good their list is and refuse to take the time to rebuild properly.

Hannebery, roberton, Bruce some bit players and an easier draw will ensure we outperform this year. That together with improvement from our kids and a shinny new pick 4 gun will be enough to keep most supporters happy imo.
Reading that there's possibility of Scully to Swans. Can we intervene?

It's a shame free agency wasnt around 2009-2010 when the Saints were contending. The club could have just kept topping up with talent, like a Hawthorn or Geelong. When you rebuild, you stay down there for a long time. Free Agency pays yo that.
It’s funny how the better run clubs like Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney never seem to bottom out. Yet I’m losing count of how many “rebuilds” we’ve done in my lifetime.

Yet.

Gresham, Carlisle, Steven have contracts ending next year.
yes they have contracts ending but they havent asked for a trade while on contract so we have a full year to sign them up ... i would be very surprised if any of those three were asking for trade come year end ...

So if a club has a very good player on good but not great money and they are on the limit of the cap so cant offer anywhere near what another club offers it goes back to the original clubs offer. No. The AFL haven't valued his worth at any pick by the way. They have valued it at the end of the first round whatever that pick is. And again we can ask for what we want for Hickey. It has nothing to do with FA compensation otherwise we would would ask for pick 100 if he is compared to Franklin's value.
So are you suggesting that a club who can't pay a particular Player his true "value" because of salary cap problems should actually receive better compensation because of their poor TPP management. Really - that's opening pandora's can of worms!!!

If WC really want Lycett to stay they could trade out some players, change player payments and then put a better deal to him (if they actually thought he was worth it) Why didn't they do that? Because they think he's not worth the money being offered by a desperate club and West Coast, by not upping their offer, can exploit a flaw in the system.

Good luck to them - all I'm doing is pointing out the flaw.

That may well be the case the point is we have been penalised for a list management decision they made, that’s a joke.
it didnt bother us much when it was us getting the pick and moving everyone back a pick for BJ or for Dal ...
i dont agree with the way FA is administered but its what we got so we work with what we got

The sad reality is, we're probably the second least attractive club in the comp behind GC. There's rumblings about our best player wanting out, there's question marks about our senior coach's position, we've had an absolute shocker on field this season, and there seems to be little prospect of that improving next year. Nobody is coming to save us. The only hope we have is the poor draftees who don't get a choice.

And I know, what about Hannebery? We are not getting 3 time AA Hannebery, we're getting the broken down has been version who's getting a nice superannuation boost cause his old man has decent connections.

2nd last? You put Carlton ahead of us? They won 2 games this year and went from 8th in 2013 to 13th to 18th to 14th to 16th to 18th - if their trajectory was the stock market we'd be in a depression!

C'mon, dry your eyes, it will be OK

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back