List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Also playing a guy that looks like a foot shorter than him. Would be like Baker playing on Riewoldt.

All cool.

Go by 4 mins of YouTube footage over recruiters that have watch Max (& all the other kids) play week in week out over the past 3 or 4 years.

If only we’d seen footage of a 6’4 17 year old Roo killing pudgy 6 footers in the local QLD league we could have traded the pick & saved ourselves years of pleasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, definitely didn't get my own Hope's up personally.

Reality really is that until we become a finals side or show massive improvement we are not gonna be a very attractive team for players like Shiel or Free Agents.

We are basicially zero chance of attracting a star free agent since it is just a top up for the already finals teams or big teams. FA is just trash for the lower clubs until the AFL tinker with rules to help benefit smaller clubs or average sides somehow.

Here's what I think of the Shiel news:

It confirms the penalty wasn't sufficient enough, and Essendon will break the rules again at some point, if they haven't already.

There are some who lament, on some level, Carlton's decline. A small part of me does because an up-and-about Carlton was good for football on some level the same way the fact Richmond are that way now is. But Carlton were made to pay, and now they don't have the hutzpah to dare to break the rules. Carlton is now to GWS what St Kilda was to Carlton in the 1980s.

But Essendon's penalty wasn't strong enough. A culture, personified by the appointment by acclimation by the Essendon members, of James Hird as coach, was one where Hird felt he could do no wrong. In a consequences free atmosphere they felt fine injecting their own players with unknown substances.

This is a club that has learned little because they only was they would learn is the way Carlton did: through many, many years of bitter tears. But no, they are back as a destination club (in fact its the first time in their history, they've always developed their own) and that will fuel that pathological arrogance inside their supporters which manifests themselves in their born-to-rule attitude to the rest of the league.

End communication.
Essendon got rewarded with pick 1 and allowed to pay compensation outside the cap so they have no TPP. They were not really punished so much as rewarded.

Tom Boyd looked like Wayne Carey with more bulk and an ice addiction. He won games off his own work. He was throwing kids out of the way and jagging clutch goals.

Boyd didn’t rough anyone up really. He outmarked smaller kids but the worry was always his competitiveness and physicality...he was a bit soft physically.

Same issue with Peter Wright.

Ironically Paddy had serious mongrel in him but has seemingly lost it.

Haven’t seen much of Max but reports are he’s extremely drive & very happy to thrown his weight around.

If the recruiters see him developing into a Daniher/Hipwood type then that certainly suits the modern game.

Boyd didn’t rough anyone up really. He outmarked smaller kids but the worry was always his competitiveness and physicality...he was a bit soft physically.

Same issue with Peter Wright.

Ironically Paddy had serious mongrel in him but has seemingly lost it.

Haven’t seen much of Max but reports are he’s extremely drive & very happy to thrown his weight around.

If the recruiters see him developing into a Daniher/Hipwood type then that certainly suits the modern game.

The problem is you cant guarantee any player mid or tall but you usually know reasonably early with a mid and there are many more mids to cover anyway. If a tall fails it could take years to find out. Paddy is a prefect example. People still hoping and having Paddy know makes it hard to fit him and King in the one side. One just learning, the other still looking like he is being gifted games.

Would chuck pick 4 to GWS for Scully and their first rounder back.

Give them more money to throw at Kelly and keep him.

If we take a another forward I'd will be pissed!! Deafting a bloke with an ACL injury is just asking for trouble when you have hardly any elite mids.

They are so keen to break a story that they go with anything and hope it turns out right . But they never say ‘ we were wrong ‘ they just move on to the next rumour.

Go Saints

I feel like it's been worse this year though. Also reported has been that gaff has already told his team mates he's leaving, and that Essendon are officially out of the Shiel race. I love the intrigue of trade period, but the reporters are paid for this crap, they should have a better strike rate than the anonymous posters on this forum who are clearly trolling.

I think the main hope now is that Hannebery can re-capture his previous form, Steele takes another step and a player such as Clark steps up big time. End of the day our midfield is weak, adding Hannebery is great, Shiel would have been the icing on the cake but it's not to be.

I think we should pick Smith in the draft. Seems he's the second best midfielder in it and exactly what we need. If we take King then our forward line looks like even more of a mess.

Now that it looks like we cant land an A grader, Sydney will see the desperation in our eyes and turn the screws for a better deal for Hanners. They will know that our blokes are not going to let him slip. We know they need the cap space. Could get interesting.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we take a another forward I'd will be pissed!! Deafting a bloke with an ACL injury is just asking for trouble when you have hardly any elite mids.
Is there any talk of Scully actually leaving though? They're losing Shiel so if they lost Scully too they'd be in big trouble.

Tom Boyd looked like Wayne Carey with more bulk and an ice addiction. He won games off his own work. He was throwing kids out of the way and jagging clutch goals.
Weitering, Paddy, Patton, 2-metre-peter, schache - all superstars in waiting.

I'm not sold on this plan.

Abort.

He is better then an unproven 18 year old that you don't know who it's going to be and what he's going to be at AFL level. Outside finisher with Match-winning ability is exactly what we need. Hanners and Wingard we're better Hanners and 18yr old we don't get better.

You guys need to wake up the club is in trouble, we need to have a good yr next yr. We're not still rebuilding, this year was completely unexpected from everyone inside the club. 2 A graders included and better season from the players that we know can play better and an easier draw. We will be in the mix next year.
I would say Gresham is the only player that we have that looks above average from this rebuild, adding a couple of gun players hasn’t helped other clubs that didn’t get the foundation right. Selling picks for players might get us to 8th but sells the future for it.

You don’t throw away a pick 4 for a bloke that will be 28 next year unless you are on the verge of playing finals. Madness.

The problem is you cant guarantee any player mid or tall but you usually know reasonably early with a mid and there are many more mids to cover anyway. If a tall fails it could take years to find out. Paddy is a prefect example. People still hoping and having Paddy know makes it hard to fit him and King in the one side. One just learning, the other still looking like he is being gifted games.

That’s true (we can say the same about JB, Acres, Dunstan & just about everyone mid we’ve drafted outside of Gresh).

Just to be clear, I don’t think we can bring Max King in unless we trade Paddy or Bruce.

If they’re both still Saints next week then I’ll be joining you in the draft a bloody mid cheer squad.

One thing is for sure, it doesn’t matter one iota who we draft unless we get our development coaching sorted out.

Now that it looks like we cant land an A grader, Sydney will see the desperation in our eyes and turn the screws for a better deal for Hanners. They will are know that our blokes are not going to let him slip. We know they need the cap space. Could get interesting.
They are desperate to off load him for cap space.
If anything, Lethers will be doing the screwing ;)

Bruce & change to Pies for 18

18 to GWS for Scully (& hopefully a late pick/Finlayson).

How did GWS's cap get so stuffed? Shiel, Lobbe, Setterfield, Scully, Finlaysen all on the move. On top of losing so many other young guns over the past few years.

Their window has probably been slammed shut. Unlucky with injuries not to have won one.

Is there any talk of Scully actually leaving though? They're losing Shiel so if they lost Scully too they'd be in big trouble.

Massive, massive cap issues.

And they’ve got a heap of critical players OOC in 2019 that they need to find coin to try to re-sign

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back