2019 4th Ashes Test 2019 Old Trafford

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the difference is clear. Ponting has the brains but Clarke has excellent instincts.

Makes me happy though that if tomorrow goes well Tim Paine has an away Ashes win to his name and Clarke won’t.

Think also the thing is Punter had the keys to the Ferrari. He didn’t have much to do, Clarke is remembered as a great captain because through his leadership he over achieved with poorer sides

Did quite poorly (at least by his usual standard) in both recent Australia series that I recall, particularly the one in India.

Happens to the best of players. Smith struggled in the last test series he played before he got banned.

Kohli was the leading run scorer vs England both home and away, was the leading run scorer in South Africa. Would've been incredible if he had continued his insane form in Australia too but Pujara stole his limelight there!

I thought that Paine's declaration was a little conservative, probably in response to Headingley.

But you can't ask for a better mini-session than that.

ENG might be able to get away with a draw tomorrow, but it'll be tough. They'll need someone to stand up, and their two big contributors from the first innings are already back in the sheds. Much rests on Stokes.

Root can be suspended, with his form that would only punish us. But if you regularly fall behind the overrates the captain will face suspension

Issue is england basically took 45 minutes out of a test with no way to make it right in the actual series, i think it was ponting who said every over you are behind per hour should cost your team a few runs.

Think also the thing is Punter had the keys to the Ferrari. He didn’t have much to do, Clarke is remembered as a great captain because through his leadership he over achieved with poorer sides

I think Clarke backed his Plan A more than Ponting did at Test level. Maybe a consequence of Ricky having to adopt a more defensive, reactive mindset at ODI level for so long before he finally became Test captain.

Part of the reason why Joe Root flounders as a Test tactician is because while he seems to have a lot of ideas (he's tried pretty much everything to get Smith out), he lacks the resolve to test one out for very long before getting cold feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back