2019 4th Ashes Test 2019 Old Trafford

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done Australia on deservedly retaining the ashes. Your bowling attack have been brilliant - Cummins in particular. Steve Smith has been something else. We've been making a lot of fuss about Ben Stokes here, deservedly as he's fantastic. Despite not playing a game Steve has been head and shoulders above anyone else. It's been a good series, and I've enjoyed it. You tend to stuff us over there. I'm optimistic (still) about us getting a face-saving result at the Oval. Slip off the shoes, relax and enjoy the moment.

I really was worried what it would do to the side if we failed yet again to put them away when well on top, could have mentally destroyed this side for a long time.

Full credit to them though i thought they were cooked after what stokes did and that they would be rolled here but im very happy to have been proven incorrect, hopefully this ends up like engands win here in 2010 we had that thumping perth win to make it 1-1 and we figured that momentum would bring us the ashes at home yet england easily beat us in the next two.

Yeah they showed real strength of character to bounce back so quickly after Headingley.

I'm not convinced past Australian sides in recent history could have done that.

Damn that's amazing. Greatly annoyed I fell asleep but f*** yeah. Truly outstanding series. Great character shown by both sides this series. What balls to throw it to Marnus with 16 overs to go to try for the breakthrough.

Incredibly rapt with that result. Credit to Stokes for walking: It was a class act regardless of whether or not we would've review anyway. Showed more class than the entire English crowd (and Matt Prior and Steve Harmisson for that matter).

Woke up at 2:30 and saw we had them 8 down. Decided to get up and watch until the end and after 45 excruciating minutes we finally got there! Don't even care about being a bit more tired than usual today. LOVED the Marnus wicket too. What a series this bloke has had.

What a find Marnus is, he seriously has potential to be right up there.

Averaging 58 in his first away series in England is ridiculous.

The fact he may also finish as a part time spinner with an average under 40 and bats #3 makes him one of the best young prospects in world cricket.

Couldn't stay up all night so recorded it and just finished watching it. Phew! Great to get the win. It's been ages since I've been so invested in the result of a cricket game before these last two matches. Great stuff!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Retained equals WON for about 140 years, thanks.....
Obviously you weren’t listening to Tim Paine after the Test finished.

retain
/rɪˈteɪn/
verb
past tense: retained; past participle: retained
  1. 1.
    continue to have (something); keep possession of.
    "Labour retained the seat"
    synonyms:keep, keep possession of, keep hold of, hold on to, hold fast to, keep back, hang on to, cling to; More
      absorb and continue to hold (a substance).
      "limestone is known to retain water"

2. won1
    /wʌn/
    1. past and past participle of win.

Is cricket popular over there? I have a friend living there and the only people that talk to her about cricket are Indians and Pakistani’s.

I find the same, most of my English mates aren't that into it but there are a few about...there is a die-hard English supporter i work with who is not going to enjoy seeing me tomorrow...

But i do think that since 2005 when Australia lost their world dominance and England became more competitive, that it created a bit more interest again...they were sick of losing to us on a regular basis...

No doubt about that, the Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are way more passionate...

Is cricket popular over there? I have a friend living there and the only people that talk to her about cricket are Indians and Pakistani’s.

It's also a bit of a "class" thing as well I think. The poorer people aren't really part of it, whereas historically in Aus we all had a hit in the backyard

Fantastic effort, but please don't let these pricks win the final Test and escape with an undeserved drawn series.

Listening to Paines interview on TMS, this is very much in their minds.

He corrected Agnew when he congratulated on him "winning the Ashes", Paines response was, we have "retained them", we still have "to win them", their entire goal has been to win them and they still have a job to do at the Oval to achieve that.

Was a good response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back