2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

People forget that the MCG has tens of thousands of MCC and AFL members that dont support either team so a 55 - 60,000 crowd with maybe 10,000- 15,000 of these members at the G is no better than 45,000 at Marvel.
I think you will also find a 45k crowd at Marvel is much better financially for Essendon and the AFL and has a way better atmosphere.
Correct. Great recent example of this being the event Essendon V Brisbane fixture. It drew over 48,000 at the G with the additional AFL / MCC members. This would’ve drawn around 42,000 to Marvel. In addition to AFL / MCC members perceived accessibility also impacts the casual walk up to Marvel.

I know of many Essendon fans who won’t go to Marvel. They basically just go to the MCG games where it’s much more accessible and these additional membership sections can simply rock up. Last night would’ve drawn some neutrals interested in a an old fashioned grudge match.

It is what it is. Essendon are financially better off however it’s a pity Essendon don’t play these games at the G. Games against the Saints and Hawks would’ve drawn between 55K (Saints) and 60K (Hawks) this year which puts a real dent in Essendon’s home match attendances for the year.

Though unlikely, wins over the next two weeks set up a potential 50K+ crowd at the G V Swans. Conversely a loss to the eagles next week could result in a shocking crowd on a Thursday night at Marvel against Giants where we now know this slot impacts the attendance by 10-15%.

Essendon V Hawthorn TV Viewership:

FTA

Melbourne: 355,000
Adelaide: 87,000
Perth: 79,000
Sydney: 19,000
Brisbane: 18,000

Regional: 184,000

Fox Footy: 202,000

Total: 943,000

Yeah was surprised at the crowd considering Freo have had a couple of very good wins. Maybe because it's a fairly rare Sat arvo timeslot and not preferred amongst fans?

Yeah I don't really know. Looked bigger TBH, but there did seem to be more empty seats in the areas not usually empty.

Saturday arvo isn't a great day for a lot of people now though, it was probably the main reason. But we don't get many Saturday arvo games so it's hard to know for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I don't really know. Looked bigger TBH, but there did seem to be more empty seats in the areas not usually empty.

Saturday arvo isn't a great day for a lot of people now though, it was probably the main reason. But we don't get many Saturday arvo games so it's hard to know for sure.

Saturday arvo = netball, football, basketball games for both adults and kids so I agree that it's tough to get to. Guess Freo have become accustomed to the classic Sunday arvo timeslot haha

Essendon V Hawthorn TV Viewership:

FTA

Melbourne: 355,000
Adelaide: 87,000
Perth: 79,000
Sydney: 19,000
Brisbane: 18,000

Regional: 184,000

Fox Footy: 202,000

Total: 943,000

Would have thought a close game between two well supported Melbourne teams still in finals contention (just) would have cracked the mill. Makes the Thursday night audience the night before seem all the better.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

7,832 in Hobart, not showing to be a very popular fixture with the locals.
Tassie fans only seem to be interested in seeing Victorian teams, and not necessarily quality football sides. North were playing a top 4 side today and yet the locals still couldn't be bothered.

Tassie fans only seem to be interested in seeing Victorian teams, and not necessarily quality football sides. North were playing a top 4 side today and yet the locals still couldn't be bothered.
. No they just don't like GWS,everyother team that has played in Hobart including against interstate sides has got at least ten and half thousand.Most people I have talked to down have said they refuse to attend GWS games because they believe they have the license that we should of got,all three crowds below ten thousand were against GWS.

And none have been sellouts in recent years. So much for an Australian Football heartland.
Cool, so we are not an Aussie Rules heartland then. Can we get an AFL team now...

You know, if this match was north of the Barassi Line, you would have said it was an outstanding attendance because the NRL only got x amount of people. You do like having a dig at attendances south of the Barassi line and not just in Tassie. unrealistic most of the times.

I ask you this. Would you have gone to the match today if you were in Hobart? I, personally, spent that $30 ticket price at Dark Mofo today. That money actually stays in the local economy as well unlike the fly in, fly out Melbourne Club

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back