2019 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope Macrae doesn't get overlooked again this year. He is just simply outstanding and because he's a quiet workhorse type, doesn't get a huge amount of media attention.

Some stats from a recent AFL.com.au article.
  • 2 for crumbing possessions (ball won at ground level after a marking contest, when Macrae wasn't involved in the original aerial contest)
  • 3 for effective disposals (kicks under 40m that hit the target, kicks over 40m that go to a 50/50 contest or better for the Dogs, and handballs that hit the target)
  • 3 for assisted metres gained (metres gained by the player Macrae passed to)
  • 4 for score assists (create a score by directly passing the football to a fellow Bulldog, whether via a disposal, knock-on, kick off the ground, hitout or when Macrae has won a free kick but someone else takes the advantage and scores)
  • 5 for ground ball gets (contested possessions won at ground level, excluding free kicks.
He's also 5th in the league for AFL player ratings over the course of this season.

What is this "kick rating" you speak of, and where can one refer to this measurement?

I think Shuey is rated appropriately, too. In the conversation with a group of others for a mid spot in the AA side.
It's an aggregate measure created by Champion Data.

They sometimes release a table post season, but it usually pops up in an article on the AFL website and/or CD's twitter. The most recent mention was a couple of weeks ago in a podcast interview on AFL.com.au.

One of CDs chief data people said that till that point, Kelly had the worst kick rating for a midfielder for the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrews just moved past McGovern for best key defender according to champion data btw. 27th overall.

The same ratings have Casboult ahead of Blicavs.

As always, the best way to judge players is to watch them, which you have admitted you don't do with Tarrant. So I'm not sure how you can form an opinion as to his quality in comparison to players you do watch.

The same ratings have Casboult ahead of Blicavs.

As always, the best way to judge players is to watch them, which you have admitted you don't do with Tarrant. So I'm not sure how you can form an opinion as to his quality in comparison to players you do watch.

Lol we still on this one are we.

The CD point was more just a fun fact than an argument for anything. The first responder was probably correct when he said teams are actively trying to avoid McGovern and limit his impact which Andrews obviously isn't copping.

I'm happy to admit he's a good key defender and has been for a while. But he's not a real chance for the team and literally the only people suggesting otherwise are North fans. Reckon he's behind McGovern, Andrews, Blicavs and Keath off the top of my head.

I'm happy to admit he's a good key defender and has been for a while. But he's not a real chance for the team and literally the only people suggesting otherwise are North fans. Reckon he's behind McGovern, Andrews, Blicavs and Keath off the top of my head.

That's fine, I don't think he makes the final team either but I do think he's been as good as any key defender this year and is ridiculously underrated.

This thread is surely for discussion though, and I'm interested in what specifically Tarrant is lacking in compared to others. All you've done there is reeled off the usual few names that the media are throwing up for AA and admitted you don't actually watch North games.

McGovern is still the best KPD by metrics best 1v1 win %tage rate and is leading the comp in intercept marks again has a stupidly high standard

He's the best defender in the competition tbf. I can't think of another player who completely changes how the opposition play as much as he does.

He's the best defender in the competition tbf. I can't think of another player who completely changes how the opposition play as much as he does.

Not the only player on our team that does that.

At the risk of promoting ridiculous biased views of my own team, here's a post from equiv_clearly from a podcast earlier this week:

That was surprisingly interesting. Listening to Dixon and Goddard explain how other teams approach Nic was hilarious.

And in a way confirmed what I've always thought, that opposition clubs don't want to pump up Nic too much publically, it would demoralise their own rucks, but they sure as hell are paying him attention.

For anyone who can't be assed, they were basically saying that opposition clubs won't even bother trying to shark his taps. Instead, they try to limit the damage by blocking space and making it more likely the Eagles' midfielder/Nic Nat exits the stoppage at a less dangerous point. And then try to play their game when Naitanui goes to the bench.

There's dominance and then there's the Faustian-bargain-created opposition nightmare that is Nic Nat.

Phwoar, I'm beginning to work myself into a lather. Both rock hard and somehow wet at the same time.

That is the power of Nicholas Naitanui.

I'm pretty over this conversation now, but how can you possibly suggest a player that you have admitted that you don't watch is in front of or behind anyone? You have no frame of reference, other than statistics. I'm sure you must understand that these alone are not a valid way to assess players.

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back