2019 fixture (news, requests and leaks)

Remove this Banner Ad

The “easiest draw” thing for 2018 was bullshit and I have no doubt the same will be true of the “hardest draw” thing for 2019. In my humble, this is not Champion Data’s best work.

Draw looks tough on first inspection, however, at the start of the year some were predicting us to have 2 or less wins from our first 6. In an even comp, we don't know how teams will perform next year so it's all speculation at this stage. Hopefully, after the year the boys had, and the natural improvement in much of our best 22, we stay in contention.

In saying that, I think it's really important we start well against Geelong, because rounds 2 and 3 won't be easy. Then the draw starts to open up a bit.

Speculating on the draw in November is fraught with inaccuracy but ours looks tough even if you need to put an * to that. Still its to be expected.

I think if you had of looked at Collingwoods 2017 draw in Nov 2016 it appeared tougher than it eventually turned out. As the year evolved it became clearer we had a very easy draw and to our credit we made the most of that. Nov 2016 and the double ups against all of Carlton, Essendon and Brissie looked harder than they turned out to be.

2017 was pretty remarkable for us as a H&A fixture. Only 8 matches against teams who ended in the top 8 and we only won 1. 14 matches against the teams outside the 8 and we won 14. We franked that kind draw by performing in the finals and have built our confidence. Still I would be pretty clear in thinking we need to be significantly better in H&A season in 2019 compared to 2018 if we want to contend. The draw will almost certainly be a lot tougher with all of Rich, Melb, WCE and Ess good finals chances.

We have improved so we are a good chance but we need to work hard to achieve that.

If the AFL was fair dinkum they would introduce a conference system to ensure the draw is identical for every team.

They won’t do that because money rules.

If the AFL was fair dinkum they would introduce a conference system to ensure the draw is identical for every team.

They’re trialing it in the AFLW: 2 conferences, 2 separate ladders. It’s not exactly what you’re talking about (there are games across the conferences) but it’s a good sign that the AFL are at least thinking about such a thing ATM. Worth noting that nothing will / can change during the current broadcast agreement - expires 2022.

They’re trialing it in the AFLW: 2 conferences, 2 separate ladders. It’s not exactly what you’re talking about (there are games across the conferences) but it’s a good sign that the AFL are at least thinking about such a thing ATM. Worth noting that nothing will / can change during the current broadcast agreement - expires 2022.
AFL must be the only major team sport in the world that uses the fixture to even up the competition.

It’s a joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could not give a flying **** what our draw looks like. Lots of prime time games so brilliant for those that like to go to the games.

Bring all these other campaigners on!

Go pies.
2010 looked like a tough draw before the season started.

A decent run with injury and the draw will mean nothing.
You're right I think we're looking at this through the lens of this season and how battered we became after each big game against Richmond.
If we play these games early in the year while our full best 22 is out on the ground I see us in the mix to win a few.

I hate conference systems because you may have a team in one conference that would only be ranked fourth for example in the other conference.

I want to see the best of the best.

I hate conference systems because you may have a team in one conference that would only be ranked fourth for example in the other conference.

I want to see the best of the best.
Problem is we have too many teams. At least a conference system would ensure a fair draw. The current system is crap.

Problem is we have too many teams. At least a conference system would ensure a fair draw. The current system is crap.
No it wouldn't, unless by some miracle each conference was exactly the same & then counting it's a fair draw within each conference, which it wouldn't.

Fixture is crap, conferences won't solve this.

* Play the other three teams from last year's top 4 - tick.

* Play what is likely the best team outside the eight last year (Essendon) twice - tick

* Play what was likely the best team from the bottom six last year (Bulldogs) twice - tick.

* Away games against what will likely be the four toughest interstate opponents (Swans, Eagles .Giants and Crows) plus Brisbane who won't be a cakewalk next year - tick.

This is a bloody nightmare of a draw at least on paper anyway - top 4 will be a real struggle based on that fixture and we may even slip back to the pack of teams fighting for the last couple of spots in the top 8.

It appears thst we're paying the full ask (and then some) for unexpected success last year, so we'll need to improve significantly and have a shit-ton (yes that is an official metric measurement) more good luck with keeping the injury imp away if we're to make any real dent in proceedings in 2019.

Divisions with promotion / relegation are another option?
Two conferences.
Initial set up:
Conference A - top 9 from previous year
Conference B - bottom 9
Teams play each other twice with one bye team per round.

Final round:
Top 7 go through to the finals with a week rest.
Bottom 2 from A play off against top 2 from B for last remaining spot.

Play offs:
Two groups of 4 (seeds according to finishing position). Each team plays each other once (like the World Cup). Top 2 from each group go through.

Finals:
Two semi finals then the grand final.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 fixture (news, requests and leaks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back