Preview 2019 Grand Final - Richmond vs GWS, Saturday 28th September, MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How must that flog Adam Treloar feel? LOL Richmond V GWS Grand Final. What a f****** loser!
Can sit beside lids. Both maybe questioning their choices. Treloar however has time to make amends. That’s not the case for lids.

Why does everyone assume DeBoer will beat Martin? Have faith people's our players will tear him a new one. He will crumble under the pressure of finals and GWS will be one mid down because his impact will be sweet fu** all.

Last time De Boer played on Dusty, Dusty wasn't at his best... I'd expect very different things this time around

The game depends alot on domination from Houli, Prestia, Edwards, Lynch.
DeBoar will tag Martin out midfield wise so only expecting forward impact there. Can't see a Norm for Dusty unless he kicks a bag.
They should be tagging Houli or Prestia but don't think they will.
Expect Jack and Cotchin will be elite role level but both also capable of being match winners.
Soldo is pivotal as he is the point of difference ruck wise.
A typical x factor game from Caddy will go a long way.
Bolton is the most interesting player. Could actually tear this one apart or at least inject brilliance where required to keep us in it.
I feel Rioli will do the usual pressure acts. Honestly not sure about the rest. If he gets on his bike and lights up The G he will be a match winner.
Castagna another pressure act player but can be very influentual with crucial goals.
Expect the usual from Lambert Astbury Grimes, Broad and Vlaustin. Although Vlaustin at his intercepting best can be a match winner.
Nank and Mumford similar styles so an interesting battle. Nank at his best can hit the scoreboard better that Mummy.
Short and Ellis just need to play their roles and minimise clangers.
That leaves my boy Baker. I'm going to back him in to feature given his cool head and courage.
Whoever gets the last spot may surprise, if it's Pickett who knows. Boom or bust.
Regarding the last spot...My heart says pickett or stack due to thebfairytale factor but my head says it will be ross....

Hope we win so you campaigners can have a big party at Swan St again and I can take a quiet train home to watch the replay :p
After the GF in 2017, I had never seen a train so empty after the footy. (Would've been around 6)
Everyone was either on Swan Street or watching Jack sing. Amazing

hmm disagree.

Bit left field but what about Townsend?

He is a known quantity come finals time.

tough, aggressive, will hunt anyone with the ball or without it, can tag, can play forward and kick goals.

I know Towner is probably less likely to play than Ross, but i actually think he might fit the bill a bit better.

we don't need someone to come in and get 25+ touches, Graham didn't do that himself. We need someone to be a physical beast around the contest.
Think we'll head down that path.But not with Towno.
Nothing against Ross but i reckon we'll go with either Macca or Pickett because of their more mature bodies who can stand up to whatever the Giants throw at us.

I've put a bet on the Tiges to win for every match since the bye and we've won 11 in a row while I've been doing it. Think I've made about $600 from it.

Just loaded up on Tiges 40+ so lock in Cup #12.

I've put a bet on us to lose since the bye. Pockets are light lol We probably should have got together and cut out the bookie middle man. I think ill have about $500 on them this week.

hmm disagree.

Bit left field but what about Townsend?

He is a known quantity come finals time.

tough, aggressive, will hunt anyone with the ball or without it, can tag, can play forward and kick goals.

I know Towner is probably less likely to play than Ross, but i actually think he might fit the bill a bit better.

we don't need someone to come in and get 25+ touches, Graham didn't do that himself. We need someone to be a physical beast around the contest.

Agree 100% but you just know the coaches won't do it. Unless we had tried it towards the end of the year you know it just won't happen. And I get it. As the 1.40 favourites it's up to them to come up with the goods. They need to make up ground. Dimma will just go with what's worked.

Pickett is a big game player.
Delivered in the VFL Grand Final.
He has the X-factor, which itself is a form of intimidation.
Ross is young and might tend to be overawed on game day.

This is what I posted a few pages back
Pickett is a tackle beast...makes them srick
He had 9 beastly tackles in the granny...20 possies and was in our bests if not BOG...got the NG medal anyway
Was a constant 4 quarter performer in the granny and prelim

Ross is a solid player but has missed a 10 week chunk this season...was awesome before that but has been up and down with form
Last played seniors v WC where he struggled with the intensity
Ross hasn’t played for 2 weeks...will be 3 come GF time

Bring in the Marlion

Trying to maintain calm through all the hype and noise. My first thought is that injury wise, GWS is in a similar position to us last year. With Broad cleared to play, we have 21 uninjured (or at least as uninjured as anyone is at this time of a season) players. Can't see us doing a mid season draft choice for the GF for the 22nd player and picking another injured one. So essentially, we'll go onto the ground injury free while there's every possibility GWS will run on with an underdone Coniglio, an injured Whitfield and an injured Davis. We tried that with Dusty, Astbury and a recovering Lambert last year and didn't that go well.

Next, for the first time in living memory, we have two elite full deep forwards plus two solid rucks. And we come up against the only Club in this year's finals that has the least effective ruck department. We actually have a chance of winning centre and around ground clearances and in a GF too. Very happy with that.

Also, while logic suggests Ross will be our 22nd player, listening to Dimma on AFL 360 has me doubting that. At his core, Dimma is a conservative person and conservative people in times of great pressure tend to revert to what has worked in the past. I know KMac has had an insipid VFL series to date but he's a proven competitor at AFL level. I'm guessing that if he can show off his 2017 GF form in training over the next two days he will be in.

Finally, if we do win on Saturday, we need to raise a glass to the people who not only brought Lynch to our Club, but the ones who recognised the potential in a raw Ivan Soldo. I have him as the most improved player in the AFL this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can envisage this GF having some similarities with the recent Ashes tour where Dusty is our version of Steve Smith whilst Matt DeBoer is the Poms version of Jeremy Roy. Poor old Matty will look good opening up before eventually holing out and then be reduced so far down the order he’ll be left pondering what could have been with his arse firmly fixed on the bench.

Last edited:
Trying to maintain calm through all the hype and noise. My first thought is that injury wise, GWS is in a similar position to us last year. With Broad cleared to play, we have 21 uninjured (or at least as uninjured as anyone is at this time of a season) players. Can't see us doing a mid season draft choice for the GF for the 22nd player and picking another injured one. So essentially, we'll go onto the ground injury free while there's every possibility GWS will run on with an underdone Coniglio, an injured Whitfield and an injured Davis. We tried that with Dusty, Astbury and a recovering Lambert last year and didn't that go well.

Next, for the first time in living memory, we have two elite full deep forwards plus two solid rucks. And we come up against the only Club in this year's finals that has the least effective ruck department. We actually have a chance of winning centre and around ground clearances and in a GF too. Very happy with that.

Also, while logic suggests Ross will be our 22nd player, listening to Dimma on AFL 360 has me doubting that. At his core, Dimma is a conservative person and conservative people in times of great pressure tend to revert to what has worked in the past. I know KMac has had an insipid VFL series to date but he's a proven competitor at AFL level. I'm guessing that if he can show off his 2017 GF form in training over the next two days he will be in.

Finally, if we do win on Saturday, we need to raise a glass to the people who not only brought Lynch to our Club, but the ones who recognised the potential in a raw Ivan Soldo. I have him as the most improved player in the AFL this year.
Good post. My only call out is Grundy had absolute insane hit out dominance on Saturday, but the Giants murdered the Pies in clearances and contested posession.

So our ruck dominance is meaningless if we aren't first to the footy, which is where the Giant's strength is.

Nank/Soldo need to hit the ball out of the contest into space for our outside players to run onto for us to be successful in this area.

My 7yo little fella just said it’s going to be great looking at another GF as he’s getting bored at watching the 17 one and that he now only fast forwards it to the Dusty bits for himself and to the Houli bits for his little sister. I laughed and told him ,”Why do you bother as they were everywhere that day”. Kids of today want everything at once and no wonder Uber Eats and Menu log etc etc are in business. A mates 19yo son ordered a fxxking coffee for $10 on UE. Talk about taking the enjoyment out of a coffee as I go down town for coffee for the social aspect and the atmosphere of the environment I’m in.

It’s simple for us. Been saying it for 3 years.

Just bring the heat, the intensity, and the process.....all of it combined makes us very hard to beat.

When we slack off a bit and expect the process to just take care of things on its own, we get into trouble eg. Just 4 tackles in our forward line in the first half last week.

Tackling, pressure, chasing, relentless pressure. First hands on it. Little or no time for the opposition.

Bring it Tiges. Make it stinging hot all game long. Very tough to beat when we play high intensity football. It’s our key.

Why does everyone assume DeBoer will beat Martin? Have faith people's our players will tear him a new one. He will crumble under the pressure of finals and GWS will be one mid down because his impact will be sweet fu** all.
I was going to mention that ... everyone saying Deboar will towel up Martin .. Dusty is a champ .... I dont think he will just let the tag beat him ... never write-off a champion still in his prime ;)
I love Dusty

Regarding the last spot...My heart says pickett or stack due to thebfairytale factor but my head says it will be ross....
Stack injured himself last week so is out of contention. He was my first preference. If a tall defender gets injured Kmac can start wing (Caddy to middle) move to defence. He can drift forward and hit the scoreboard. Kmac is a known quantity. Problems with this is Caddy/Kmac don't provide tackle pressure that JG does. If a small defender gets injured we have lots more options. Ellis can move back as he did vs Ablett, Sheds etc. So if Ross is selected. Similar tackle pressure to JG, gets the ball the same as JG. He is like for like. Now he doesn't have the flexibility in his game to throw him in the backline. But he can hit the scoreboard. Pickett can play inside mid, with a burst of speed. Can tackle,hit the scoreboard and probably play back too at a pinch. He is older, he did well in a tough, hard fought grand final. The risk is has he had enough time in our system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back