2019 Off-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It's always smart when you keep winning your division 18 years straight, and make the championship game 18 years straight.

Or when you have a HOF QB

Belichick went 11-5 without Brady one year. I am sure he could've managed the same/similar record without him.

Really? I doubt it. Couple of seasons back when Brady was suspended for first 4 games they started ok. Jimmy G led them to two opening wins against ordinary teams. Jacobs Brisset then beat Brock led Texans.

Then they laid an egg following week against the Bills.

I think Belichick still would have been an excellent but not same record with a less ordinary QB. Suppose it depends on who his QB would have been.

Really? I doubt it. Couple of seasons back when Brady was suspended for first 4 games they started ok. Jimmy G led them to two opening wins against ordinary teams. Jacobs Brisset then beat Brock led Texans.

Then they laid an egg following week against the Bills.

I think Belichick still would have been an excellent but not same record with a less ordinary QB. Suppose it depends on who his QB would have been.
Truth is somewhere between the two. It really took BOTH. Brady would've been great regardless, and probably won 2 or 3 SBs without BB. And Belichick would've been great without TB still, and won 2 or 3 SBs without him. Together they have 5, going on 6.

Case FOR Tom Brady -- despite all the coaching etc, it still really does come down to actually performing. How many times have we seen TB masterfully and clinically tear a D apart with his play, and especially in huge games like playoffs and SBs....even in his debut SB, that last drive for such a young player on the big stage.

Case FOR Bill -- still, a great coach is one who puts his players in the right position to be ABLE to win games, perform their best, get others around his best players to perform to their best, etc. So a lot of those big game performances by Brady are also still Bill's doing, getting the right looks, plays, reads in due to all the billion hours of preparation he does on opponents. A lot of the Pats' wins have also been due to Bill's renowned half-time adjustments and changes. Not to mention how Bill's system is true to the adage of "just win"....where he has no system really, no one set way, can masterfully shift strategies from week to week, how he uses certain players on O or D from week to week.

Basically, it's just a "perfect storm" that HC-QB relationship. Something that we could be seeing with McVey-Goff in time. Goff really does remind me of a young Tom Brady (mechanics/style-wise) too. And McVey is like a next-gen Belichick-type, with his photographic memory and certain perspective of the Xs and Os of football.

Truth is somewhere between the two. It really took BOTH. Brady would've been great regardless, and probably won 2 or 3 SBs without BB. And Belichick would've been great without TB still, and won 2 or 3 SBs without him. Together they have 5, going on 6.

Case FOR Tom Brady -- despite all the coaching etc, it still really does come down to actually performing. How many times have we seen TB masterfully and clinically tear a D apart with his play, and especially in huge games like playoffs and SBs....even in his debut SB, that last drive for such a young player on the big stage.

Case FOR Bill -- still, a great coach is one who puts his players in the right position to be ABLE to win games, perform their best, get others around his best players to perform to their best, etc. So a lot of those big game performances by Brady are also still Bill's doing, getting the right looks, plays, reads in due to all the billion hours of preparation he does on opponents. A lot of the Pats' wins have also been due to Bill's renowned half-time adjustments and changes. Not to mention how Bill's system is true to the adage of "just win"....where he has no system really, no one set way, can masterfully shift strategies from week to week, how he uses certain players on O or D from week to week.

Basically, it's just a "perfect storm" that HC-QB relationship. Something that we could be seeing with McVey-Goff in time. Goff really does remind me of a young Tom Brady (mechanics/style-wise) too. And McVey is like a next-gen Belichick-type, with his photographic memory and certain perspective of the Xs and Os of football.

Could not agree more. They’re like Lennon & McCartney, Simon & Garfunkel, Torvill & Dean, Sodom & Gomorrah.

Could not agree more. They’re like Lennon & McCartney, Simon & Garfunkel, Torvill & Dean, Sodom & Gomorrah.
And don't bring up the cheating and favorable treatment from officials. Regardless of help, they still had to perform every gameday, week after week, year after year. Manning had as much favorable treatment as a QB and barely won 1 SB in his career. The Steelers have had 30+ years of NFL favoritism and only managed 3 SB appearances in that specific duration.

BB-TB still had to perform.

And don't bring up the cheating and favorable treatment from officials. Regardless of help, they still had to perform every gameday, week after week, year after year. Manning had as much favorable treatment as a QB and barely won 1 SB in his career. The Steelers have had 30+ years of NFL favoritism and only managed 3 SB appearances in that specific duration.

BB-TB still had to perform.

Or the Raiders who used to clobber players with plaster casts and such.. all totally illegal. God those Raiders were arseholes weren’t they? Probably Al Davis behind that, what a ****. Should pull him out of the HOF. Whaddya you think GG?

Or the Raiders who used to clobber players with plaster casts and such.. all totally illegal. God those Raiders were arseholes weren’t they? Probably Al Davis behind that, what a ****. Should pull him out of the HOF. Whaddya you think GG?
Everyone cheats. Was it Al who said....if you aren't cheating you're not doing it right? Or he said, it's not cheating if you don't get caught.

Anyway....I'm genuinely adopting the Patriots now thru SB LIII and onward thru 2019 to properly ensure the crushing of that dynasty happens, and the bones are trampled into fine dust, if that means 2020 as well. But everyone knows who my real team is "BR".

Also, kill two birds with one stone while I'm at it, with the AFL HHs.

But god I do love Bill Belichick, I really do. I'm inclined to remain a Patriots fan just because of Bill. I have always secretly loved/admired him. His ideology on football x's and o's, non-system system, being gruff and pointed, surly, an evil mastermind.

I'm genuinely adopting the Patriots now thru SB LIII and onward thru 2019 to properly ensure the crushing of that dynasty happens, and the bones are trampled into fine dust, if that means 2020 as well. .
It doesn't matter now. Patriots have won SB49 & 51, and did so in a remarkable manner. It doesn't matter how many more they win, you can't undo what already happened.

That's the part that's annoying about the Seahawks. For along time bandwagon fan crapped on for years and years about the Patriots as the greatest, even though it'd been 10 years since they had won prior to SB49. Had the drought continued, we could still laugh at Patriots fans, and could diminish Belichick and Brady as enjoying an opportune, fruitful period that favoured them. That went out the window with the Seahawks letting them off the hook.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't matter now. Patriots have won SB49 & 51, and did so in a remarkable manner. It doesn't matter how many more they win, you can't undo what already happened.

That's the part that's annoying about the Seahawks. For along time bandwagon fan crapped on for years and years about the Patriots as the greatest, even though it'd been 10 years since they had won prior to SB49. Had the drought continued, we could still laugh at Patriots fans, and could diminish Belichick and Brady as enjoying an opportune, fruitful period that favoured them. That went out the window with the Seahawks letting them off the hook.

It could've looked so much different if Carrol didn't choke, and if Matt Ryan/Shanahan didn't choke. Pats would be the Bills of today, losing four Super Bowls pretty much in a row if LA wins next week.

Still, we keep making SBs whilever everyone keeps writing us off. They will next year, and the year after, and we'll probably keep making SBs.

Breaking NFLN news is that the Redskins brass believe Alex Smith will miss the entire 2019 season.

****, you know they'll be throwing the kitchen sink at Foles if that's the case. However I do have a strong sense my boy wont move within the division, probably wont move within the conference:heart:.

Analytics can provide you with great insights but it tells you nothing about the feel of a moment.
There's some great info it can glean, but tbh, anything to do with statistics can be manipulated, perceived, in different ways, and doesnt paint a real picture, a living picture. But you already know that, preaching to the choir on that.

Matches made in heaven do get interesting.

If say, Foles had a Pederson or Belichick type in his first couple of years (rather than a madman) as well as solid FO support, could we have been talking about 2 dynasties running side by side, Eagles & Pats? It's not a huge stretch to get there. Foles first year numbers obviously werent a fluke, just unsustainable (as everything else was) under Kelly & it's a valid argument to say Foles had the first part of his career flushed by coaching mismanagement.

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Off-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back