Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

This draft year is getting pretty deep along with elite top end talent.

Warner, Rowell, Serong, Anderson, Young, Jackson, Green, Day, Flanders, Pickett, Weightman, Comben, De Koning, Ash, Henry, Rivers, Bergman, Kemp, Sharp, Worrell, Aleer, Georgiades.

Newcombe, Martin and Durham are all Mid seasons who would have been eligible as well.

Have I missed anyone?

Warner, Rowell, Serong, Anderson, Young, Jackson, Green, Day, Flanders, Pickett, Weightman, Comben, De Koning, Ash, Henry, Rivers, Bergman, Kemp, Sharp, Worrell, Aleer, Georgiades.

Newcombe, Martin and Durham are all Mid seasons who would have been eligible as well.

Have I missed anyone?
Wasn’t Aleer drafted a couple of years later than this draft?

Wasn’t Aleer drafted a couple of years later than this draft?
Yeah your right got confused he is the same age as the others, must have been a mature age draft pick.

Looks like I missed Riccardi as well.

Have I missed anyone?
I'd argue not everyone on that list is quite 'elite top end talent', but it is shaping up to be the best draft class of the 2010s by some margin.

I'd add Michael Frederick to the list as he's performed better than some you named. Pick 61, has played 70 games and has scored over a goal a game. Just from a Freo perspective he would be ahead of Henry and Sharp on output to date.

With Serong, Young, Jackson, Frederick and Sharp all comfortably in our Best 22 it is the draft that will (hopefully) form the nucleus of a side that regularly makes finals for the next 5+ years.

I'd argue not everyone on that list is quite 'elite top end talent', but it is shaping up to be the best draft class of the 2010s by some margin.

I'd add Michael Frederick to the list as he's performed better than some you named. Pick 61, has played 70 games and has scored over a goal a game. Just from a Freo perspective he would be ahead of Henry and Sharp on output to date.

With Serong, Young, Jackson, Frederick and Sharp all comfortably in our Best 22 it is the draft that will (hopefully) form the nucleus of a side that regularly makes finals for the next 5+ years.
It would be great to add Warner
Even with the anchors lack of succes add Warner to that group I can’t see how they could fail

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone for letting Robertson slide, especially Geelong, Carlton and Richmond.
Turns out they knew what they were doing. Two of those clubs have built premiership winning lists, and the other could easily add to that in the next couple of years.

In my opinion it's better than 2001.
6 or 7 stars of the competition already and 25 odd very good AFL players.
I disagree:
Hodge, Judd, Bartel, Stevie J, Mitchell, Ablett Jr, Swan - these are all future hall of famers - and potential legends. I doubt we ever see this level of top end talent again.

These were also great players.

Dal Santo, Kelly, Montanga, Lake, Sandilands, Rutten, Ball,

Its a lot of Brownlows, MVPs, Premierships, etc behind 2001. It might get there but its a huge gap to make up
Yep long way to go
Sebba might have the full set by the time he retires.
Is there anyone that has the complete set?
Sebba won the three junior ones
Rising star
AFLCA Young player
AFLPA Best first year

There’s 3 senior
Brownlow
Mvp
ALFCA player of year

There’s 3 finals
Gary Ayres
Norm Smith
Premiership

Yep long way to go
Sebba might have the full set by the time he retires.
Is there anyone that has the complete set?
Sebba won the three junior ones
Rising star
AFLCA Young player
AFLPA Best first year

There’s 3 senior
Brownlow
Mvp
ALFCA player of year

There’s 3 finals
Gary Ayres
Norm Smith
Premiership
No player from the 2001 draft had the chance to win all of the above.

Still reckon 2013 is pretty hard to beat for the 2010s despite being severely underrated.

Bont
Cripps
Merrett
J.Kelly
Nank
Pearce
Aliir
Barrass
B.Brown
Sicily
ZWilliams
Amon
JMcgovern
Laird
Rampe
Ed Curnow
Taberner
Acres
Salem
Sheed

If Tom Boyd didn't quit prematurely could have been an all time draft.

Yep its definitely possible they catch the senior group. But to be honest they probably need to hurry up. Just on the Brownlow alone there are about 9 won from the 2001 group. For guys in their 4-5th year they need to start winning them now to catch that sort of number. Similar for all the other awards
I would say no chance:

This is what they are chasing:

7 Brownlow medals
8 MVPs
4 AFLCA's
2 best Captains
47 All Australian jackets
6 Norm Smiths medals
32 premiership medals

Last edited:
Still reckon 2013 is pretty hard to beat for the 2010s despite being severely underrated.

Bont
Cripps
Merrett
J.Kelly
Nank
Pearce
Aliir
Barrass
B.Brown
Sicily
ZWilliams
Amon
JMcgovern
Laird
Rampe
Ed Curnow
Taberner
Acres
Salem
Sheed

If Tom Boyd didn't quit prematurely could have been an all time draft.

Charlie Cameron from that Rookie draft.

Injuries perhaps prevented it from challenging the very best drafts with Freeman, Kolojashni and Sharanberg having no real shot at fulfilling their potential

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back