2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Parish might be worth targeting given the Matho link....

Why can’t Parish get a game for Dons?

Liam Twomey
CHRIS CAVANAGH – Herald Sun

Essendon great Tim Watson says he has “no idea” why the Bombers left young gun Darcy Parish out of their side for yesterday’s clash with Greater Western Sydney.

Parish is out of contract at season’s end, Watson saying he would be picking up the phone to Parish’s manager if he were an opposition club.
“I would. This kid can play. He can really play,” Watson said.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Probably off to Hawthorn

You men grandson of Lou Richards. Not a chance of him heading north.

Reports were our draft scouts put a line through him as a massive go home flight risk.

Probably only one club he’d move to if he left the Dogs.
Goodo, i wasnt aware of that. That style of player would be a good get, dont know who would be available.

Oh, where did you hear this?
I believe Elliot Himmelberg, Harry,s brother was up here training with the Lions Academy but was unable to be selected as part of the academy because he didn’t live here for long enough (5yrs).
His parents moved up here in 2016 the year Elliot was drafted to Adelaide and are believed to still be here.

Last edited:
The family moved up here. The younger Himmelberg was in our Academy but missed eligibility requirements to be taken as an Academy selection. The older one was in GWS's academy IIRC, but I think the family had just moved to Brisbane when he was drafted.

Edit: no idea if they are still in Brisbane.

What he said
I believe Elliot Himmelberg, Harry,s brother was up here training with the Lions Academy but was unable to be selected as part of the academy because he didn’t live here for long enough (5yrs).
His parents moved up here in 2016 the year Elliot was drafted to Adelaide and are believed to still be here.
And what he said.
The family moved up here. The younger Himmelberg was in our Academy but missed eligibility requirements to be taken as an Academy selection. The older one was in GWS's academy IIRC, but I think the family had just moved to Brisbane when he was drafted.

Edit: no idea if they are still in Brisbane.

What is Parish worth? Early second rounder?

Right now he is definitely worth a pick in the 2nd round (20s). Although, we're talking about Ess/Dodoro, can't see the Dons getting anything other than a pick in the 20s.
The way they played last week, he will surely get a game this week and has an opportunity to be a regular.

I too, also knew that the Himmelberg family had moved up to Brisbane at that point in time.

Ah yes the Himmelbergs. They live over the river there by the train line. Nice place too. Really respected in their community. Can often be seen at that funky cafe on the corner. Know them well......

Pushing it too far?

mmmm, if we really want another midfielder to add to our core, I wonder if Darcy Parish can play an outside inside role, similar to McCluggage. Fagan really appears to prefer balanced midfielders rather than out and out wings.

The big questions I guess are, does Darcy have the pace, and probably more importantly the composure and skill with the football in hand. He had big wraps in his draft year for his contested possession ability, even though he wasn't regarded as a big bodied mid.

He'd still be facing serious competition for a best 22 spot, but I would possibly prefer Parish to Lewy Taylor and possibly Mitch Robinson. He could also start on a wing, if we went with two talls up forward and moved Zorko to a HFF.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-23/around-the-state-leagues-whos-starring-for-your-club
ESS-header.png

State league affiliate: Essendon (VFL)
This weekend: Essendon v Coburg - Saturday, March 23, 3pm, RAMS Arena, Craigieburn

Darcy Parish gave John Worsfold plenty to think about, bagging five goals just 24 hours after he was overlooked for senior selection.

Entering his fourth year with his contract expiring at the end of the season, the former No.5 draft pick starred in the 100-point practice match win.

Fellow AFL emergency Brandon Zerk-Thatcher drew praise from VFL coach Dan Jordan, while draftee Tom Jok impressed with his physicality.

First-choice defender Martin Gleeson played his first match in over 12 months, kept to restricted minutes following a badly injured ankle sustained last pre-season.

Mason Redman also got through unscathed in his first hitout from a fractured ankle he damaged early in the summer.

Back-up ruckman Zac Clarke, third-year big man Sam Draper and rookie Trent Mynott added two goals apiece.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon Parish would be a nice fit actually. To me he is more of an outside player, i think he does his best work on the outside, but he has alright size and ball winning ability, so i think you would say he is balanced enough. Considering we do have the likes of Robbo, Zorko and Rich getting on, it isnt a bad idea to try target some younger players. We are going to have a nice group of youth develop together, but we need to make sure we keep growing the amount and quality of our depth.

Parish is a gun would trade our or Pies (which ever higher) pick for Parish in a heartbeat

Balanced player an would compliment what we already have extremely well

If he spends the season in and out of the senior side there is little chance of the Don's getting even a late first rounder. In his fourth season now. Second rounder at best.

As I mentioned in my previous post, Parish would be on the fringe of our best 22.

At the moment, he'd be pushing one of Bastinac or Robinson out, off the bench. Or if we went with McInerney on the bench, Zorko at HFF, then Parish could start on a wing opposite McCluggage, which is what I would do, but that still pushed either Mitch or Bastinac out of the team.

So he's effectively in the same position at either club, in and out of the best 22.

Of course if both Bastinac and MRobbo are delisted at seasons end, then there's almost definitely room for Parish in our best 22.

It'd also make me feel somewhat better about the 2016 draft crop. At the moment, we've only got Hipwood and Mathieson as regulars in the senior team from that year.

At the moment I am in the minority in regards to Parish. He’s possibly too outside for today’s games style. The way defensive set ups are in today’s game it is consistently a contested style of football. The moments where we see players being open are usually because of either superior speed or aerobic ability. Does he have one of these? I don’t think so. It’s pretty rare to see true ‘wingers’ these days and unless you can rack it up like Macrae or elite run like Brad Hill/Isaac Smith then I find it hard to see where they fit in. He wasn’t in their best 22 for a reason and even though he had a day out in the reserves they did win by 100 or so.

At the moment I am in the minority in regards to Parish. He’s possibly too outside for today’s games style. The way defensive set ups are in today’s game it is consistently a contested style of football. The moments where we see players being open are usually because of either superior speed or aerobic ability. Does he have one of these? I don’t think so. It’s pretty rare to see true ‘wingers’ these days and unless you can rack it up like Macrae or elite run like Brad Hill/Isaac Smith then I find it hard to see where they fit in. He wasn’t in their best 22 for a reason and even though he had a day out in the reserves they did win by 100 or so.
There's genuine discussion among Essendon fans about whether Parish is a genuine winger, or being pushed outside because he's not seen as a big body.

I guess there's one person to ask, who would have a vey good take on Parish. eDPS, hey man, what type of player is young Darcy Parish, and what position his his best role?

There's genuine discussion among Essendon fans about whether Parish is a genuine winger, or being pushed outside because he's not seen as a big body.

I guess there's one person to ask, who would have a vey good take on Parish. eDPS, hey man, what type of player is young Darcy Parish, and what position his his best role?
Inside mid, he is not quick enough nor does he have the kicking skills to be an elite wingman.

Ah yes the Himmelbergs. They live over the river there by the train line. Nice place too. Really respected in their community. Can often be seen at that funky cafe on the corner. Know them well......

Pushing it too far?
I heard he was looking at childcare spots...

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back