List Mgmt. 2020 Best 25

Remove this Banner Ad

I want to have another look at us with Ratugolea in the side. While his absence correlates with improved performance I think there’s a reasonable chance it’s coincidence. I worry a bit about not having a foil for Hawkins when it doesn’t go as well as it has in the past couple of weeks. As well as he has played, the only tall that Sav could replace is Henderson. I’m not advocating for it; that’s just the pecking order as objectively as I can view it.

Other than that issue, I’m largely happy with the structure. If you take as given everyone who played against Port, except Simpson, Atkins and Fogarty, then the only possible replacements could be:

Ablett
Steven
Dahlhaus
Clark
Close
Zach Guthrie
Narkle
Constable
and...

(That’s my rough pecking order)

So I’ve got four spots up for grabs with 12 contenders.

At the moment I lean to Henderson over Ratugolea and then the remaining three spots go to Ablett, Steven and Dahlhaus as I just think that on a big occasion I trust them more than all of the others on the list.

So with that I get:

BacksMark BlicavsLachie HendersonJed Bews
Half BacksMark O'ConnorHarry TaylorTom Stewart
CentrelineSam MenegolaCameron GuthrieMitch Duncan
Half ForwardsZach TuohyGary RohanGary Ablett
ForwardsGryan MiersTom HawkinsLuke Dahlhaus
FollowersRhys StanleyPatrick DangerfieldJoel Selwood
InterchangeJack HenryBrandan ParfittJake Kolodjashnij
Jack Steven
EmergenciesEsava RatugoleaBrad CloseJordan Clark

I don't know.

After the West Coast game i thought i knew, but the last 3 games have thrown all that up in the air, but in a good way!

Never thought I'd say this but right now Menegola is a lock on one wing with Duncan on the other and Cam Guthrie in the centre.

For the past 3 games we've played Blicavs, Taylor, Henderson, Stewart, Kolodjashnij, Henry, Tuohy, Bews, O'Connor ALL in the same team and it's working.

For me Ablett, Dahlhaus and Steven are still best 22 and like most I really want to see Nakia getting games, plus do we play the 2nd KPF/2nd ruck or stick with Stanley/Blicavs?

I really don't know.

For mine...
FB: Stewart, Blicavs, Tuohy
HB: O'Connor, Taylor, Clark
C: Menegola, Guthrie, Duncan
HF: Ablett, Hawkins, Steven
FF: Miers, Ratugolea, Rohan
R: Stanley, Danger, Selwood
INT: Parfitt, Henry, Constable, Dalhaus

Half-kills me to drop Narkle. Even Bews has masqueraded as an AFL-standard player the last few weeks!

FB Taylor Blicavs Bews
HB Stewart Henderson O'Connor
C Mengola Parfitt Duncan
HF Miers Rohan Tuohy
FF Cockatoo Hawkins Atkins
Fol Stanley Dangerfield Guthrie
Int Henry Selwood Steven Close

Tad harsh on GAJ and Dalhaus?

Dalhlaus is a better player then Atkins and Close but i see this being a more balanced team, if I were including him I'd be shifting Tuohy down back and dropping Bews,

I don't think Ablett is physically up to it, I'm not worried about what happens when he has the ball rather the drop off in pressure, if one chase is 5% off a team will break through.

FB Stewart Blicavs Kolo
HB Tuohy Taylor O'Connor
W Menegola Selwood Duncan
HF Ablett Hawkins Dangerfield
F Sav Rohan Miers
R Stanley Guthrie Parfit
I Simpson, Henry, Clark, Cockatoo

Realise question marks over fitness of Simpson and Cocky. Replace with Steven and Narkle.

I actually think the best 22 is pretty locked in but the fitness is a bit of a question mark for a few of them.

B: Bews Taylor Henry
HB: O'Connor Kolodjasnij Stewart
C: Blicavs Guthrie Duncan
HF: Ablett Ratugolea Dangerfield
F: Miers Hawkins Rohan
Foll: Stanley Selwood Parfitt
Int: Menegola Tuohy Dahlhaus Steven

Henderson is the obvious next in line and could be preferred to any of Kolo, Henry, Ratugolea or maybe Stanley depending on form and what structure we want to go with. I think Atkins is a clear step down from this team but would be next to come in given his experience. Fogarty and Simpson are the ones I think are threatening to break into this lineup but aren't there yet and Cockatoo is a wildcard who could earn a spot if he hits the ground running. Narkle similar to Cockatoo has shown the best glimpses and could break his way in but looks a way off right now. Clark, Close, Constable and Z Guthrie would be the next group depending on position to be replaced and form but I seriously doubt any of them make our best 25 by the end of the year. Fort as backup for Stanley but he could come in if Stanley's form falls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've had an extensive MC meeting with myself and this is what I see as our starting 22/25 come finals, based on current M/C favs and form.

B: Bews Taylor Blicavs
HB: O'Connor Hendo Stewart
C: Menengola Guthrie Duncan
HF: Ablett Sav Dalhaus
F: Miers Hawk Rohan
Foll: Stanley Sel Danger
I/C: Parfitt 2E Kolo Clark
Em: Atkins Fog Narkle Steven

Despite his excellent form, Hendo may go out if there are too many small forwards in our opposition line-ups, but tbh the main challengers, with the possible exception of Richmond, have a number of strong tall forwards. That mainly being WC and GWS (GWS are crap right now but if they get their heads right...look out. Their list is incredible!), but I suspect we will stick to OUR best structure, given how well it is working atm.
The main wild card is Cocky. If he comes in and sets the world on fire, as many of us hope he might, I would see Dalhaus out for him, but it's a big if and without consistent presented form at AFL level I can't consider him in the line-up.
Jenkins is another wild card, but I just don't see a space for him while Sav and Hawk are there. Sav IS the future and is a far better 2nd ruck option, particularly against Nic Nat.
Miers is safe. He covers a LOT of ground (elite endurance) coming out of D50 and his quirkiness and goal-sense make him too attractive to drop.
Parfitt is a bull and one of our primary defensive-pressure mids, so I believe he's safe. Kolo is a versatile defender off the bench but he would want to stay strong and relatively clanger-free to be safely entrenched, but the MC show historically that he is, in their opinion, best 22 over a number of seasons.
Bews has settled well and his last few matches have been very strong with his straight-line running and delivery into F50 when we press on repeat i50 entries. Plus he's a genuine lock-down defender with multiple scalps.
Clark has X factor and genuine pace and is another MC fav. Too talented and fast not to play. I also like his "swag" for finals. Can kick goals and play back. Versatile.
Rohan has played himself into great form and has too many offensive weapons to be left out. Great in one-on-ones, best kick for goal in the team. Super-quick and massive defensive pressure.
I think Atkins is another MC fav but he just won't fit with Ablett back. I believe it's the same story for Steven. I think they WANT them in, but I don't see who drops out.
The rest pick themselves. A month ago I would have said Taylor, Hendo and Blicavs were one tall, slowish defender too far but the structural strength and understanding of late is simply too undeniable to ignore or risk messing with. Hendo and Taylor are in sparkling form and denying the age Gods, so they stay.
PS anyone who thinks GAJ is not in our best 22 in his last season with a flag up for grabs is kidding themselves. Particularly as his body hasn't been battered too much this year. He's still the GOAT.

Sorry, wrong number.
Your best 25 will be wrong. He’s a lock

Dont lose your sense of humour mate. Its all a bit tongue in cheek, but he's very borderline to me right now.

His 100th was ok I must admit.

B: O'Connor Blicavs Bews
HB: Tuohy Taylor Stewart
C: Duncan CGuthrie Menegola
HF: Miers Ratugolea Dahlhaus
F: Ablett Hawkins Rohan
R: Stanley Dangerfield JSelwood
I: Henry Parfitt Steven Simpson
E: Henderson Clark Atkins

Simpson is my 22nd player - he could easily be replaced by Henderson, especially if the opposition had a lot of taller forwards
And given that Simpson is not playing today against Adelaide, other fringe players like Clark, Atkins or Kolo could jump him in the queue.

Full Back: Bews--------Blicavs-----Kolo
Half Back: O'Connor----Taylor----Stewart
Midfield: Thuoy-------Duncan--Menegola
Half Forward: Dangerfield-Rohan----Ablett
Full Forward: Miers-------Hawkins--Atkins

On Ball: Stanley, Guthrie, Selwood
Int: Steven, Henderson, Simpson, Parfitt

Emergencies:
Ratagolea, Clark, Dalhaus

FB: Bews Blicavs Henry
HB: Stewart Henderson O’Connor
C: Duncan Parfitt
HF: Ablett Hawkins Menegola
FF: Miers Dangerfield Rohan
C: Stanley Selwood Guthrie
I/C: Touhy, Kolodjashnij, Fogarty, Steven
Emg: Simpson, Dahlhous, Taylor, Fort

I think Clark is lucky to be there and Taylor very unlucky.

For me it really come down to which KPD you drop, and who out of Dahlhous, Simpson, Clark, Ratugolea, Atkins, and Fogarty makes the team. Seems like they’re the only point of differences.

Full Back: Bews--------Blicavs-----Kolo
Half Back: O'Connor----Taylor----Stewart
Midfield: Thuoy-------Duncan--Menegola
Half Forward: Dangerfield-Rohan----Ablett
Full Forward: Miers-------Hawkins--Atkins

On Ball: Stanley, Guthrie, Selwood
Int: Steven, Henderson, Simpson, Parfitt

Emergencies: Ratagolea, Clark, Dalhaus

Henry not even an emergency?

FB: Bews Blicavs Henry
HB: Stewart Henderson O’Connor
C: Duncan Parfitt
HF: Ablett Hawkins Menegola
FF: Miers Dangerfield Rohan
C: Stanley Selwood Guthrie
I/C: Touhy, Kolodjashnij, Fogarty, Steven
Emg: Simpson, Dahlhous, Taylor, Fort

I think Clark is lucky to be there and Taylor very unlucky.
Just as well it ain't gonna happen then, eh.

I want to have another look at us with Ratugolea in the side. While his absence correlates with improved performance I think there’s a reasonable chance it’s coincidence. I worry a bit about not having a foil for Hawkins when it doesn’t go as well as it has in the past couple of weeks. As well as he has played, the only tall that Sav could replace is Henderson. I’m not advocating for it; that’s just the pecking order as objectively as I can view it.

Other than that issue, I’m largely happy with the structure. If you take as given everyone who played against Port, except Simpson, Atkins and Fogarty, then the only possible replacements could be:

Ablett
Steven
Dahlhaus
Clark
Close
Zach Guthrie
Narkle
Constable
and...

(That’s my rough pecking order)

So I’ve got four spots up for grabs with 12 contenders.

At the moment I lean to Henderson over Ratugolea and then the remaining three spots go to Ablett, Steven and Dahlhaus as I just think that on a big occasion I trust them more than all of the others on the list.

So with that I get:

Jack Steven

Two weeks on and nothing has changed for me. Ratugolea still misses.

Jack Steven

Based on Scott's presser today, your 'best 23' here (including both Hendo and Esava) looks like exactly where we are heading at this point. Then it could be match-ups that swing the final balance between the two.

And all of this before the spectre of injuries enters the equation...

Only other note would be that Atkins will definitely be in front of Close in the selection tussle, whether the majority of us here like it or not.

And this is the best 'best 25' we've been able to muster for quite some time. With some very handy players in the 26-32 bracket as well.

Relatively good signs for a club with a supposedly skewed list, as well as minimal depth.

List Mgmt. 2020 Best 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back