2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I believe he has to, likewise Jeffery and Davies will have to be next year and who else if prelisted , hopefully they will still allow us to keep 40 on the senior list and only demote Harbrow , otherwise I would delist two or do a Lyons with Brodie and hope someone picks him up to give us some flexibility
Still waiting for you to show us the source (AFL rule) that SUNS pre-listed players have to be promoted to senior list after one year on rookie list.

Even if that's the case it's not really difficult to adjust the list.

The latest AFL info is that senior lists will be cut by 2 and rookie lists by 1.

In 2020 we had total 51 players, 40 senior list and 11 rookie list (available 13 spots). Ace was extra on scholarship. Cameron confirmed that we had 40 senior list and 10 cat A. So only Towey was cat B.

So in theory, SUNS pro rata total should be 50, 38 senior list and 12 rookie list (probably 9 + 3).

At present, 36 senior list and 7 rookie list.
Promote Holman and pre-listed Budarick, Rosas, Conroy. Demote Harbrow.
39 senior list and 4 rookie list
Demote Murdoch, Hombsh (last year of their contracts)
37 senior list and 6 rookie list
Pick 5, pre-list Davies, Jeffrey
38 senior list and 8 rookies (6 + 2 ; cat B probably Towey, Ace) + 4 (3 + 1) rookie spots still available

We could still demote Smith to create additional spot on senior list. Murtagh could be moved to cat B to create additional cat A spot.

Easy :cool: Brodie stays.

Last edited:

Fox sports has the Suns splitting our first rounder for Heath Chapman and Zac Reid. Two defenders... I am starting to warm to the idea. Unsure if we need another mid in Phillips or Holland’s as I’m 100% sure they will be our options

Just saw this. Very left field.
Might as well split the picks. None of the above are worth pick 5.

making with the fact we are Supposably only taking 1 player?

Still waiting for you to show us the source (AFL rule) that SUNS pre-listed players have to be promoted to senior list after one year on rookie list.

Cameron said on AFL Exchange podcast earlier in the year (pretty sure it was that one) that the club did have contracts that required pre-listed players to be promoted to the senior list after 1 year as a rookie. Came up in a discussion about list sizes and how it might impact us.

The only question is how many of the 3 pre-listed players (Budarick, Rosas and Conroy) had this in their contracts?

Budders for sure. Not sure about the other two. My 'hearing' of what he said was that 'some' but not all of the pre-listed players had this in their contracts.

So this whole question is about the contracts the players signed, not about AFL rules.

Cameron said on AFL Exchange podcast earlier in the year (pretty sure it was that one) that the club did have contracts that required pre-listed players to be promoted to the senior list after 1 year as a rookie. Came up in a discussion about list sizes and how it might impact us.

The only question is how many of the 3 pre-listed players (Budarick, Rosas and Conroy) had this in their contracts?

Budders for sure. Not sure about the other two. My 'hearing' of what he said was that 'some' but not all of the pre-listed players had this in their contracts.

So this whole question is about the contracts the players signed, not about AFL rules.
Thanks for that. It makes sense that it's based on a contract signed with individual players.

I probably found the podcast. It's a Late Trade 6 Nov with Silvani, Rendell (originally Cameron was supposed to appear on AFL Exchange a couple of days before). It's where Cameron confirmed SUNS had 40 senior and 10 cat A list in 2020.

Here are the quotes if I understood correctly
'we got a couple of rookies we carried over'

'being able to get guys off the rookie list'

Beside Holman, my guess would be Budarick, possibly Rosas. I have doubts about Conroy.

Collingwood's 14 and 16 would see us come out in front with the points. I hope Chapman gets drafted to a WA team though to be close to his family.

List sizes would be an issue splitting picks, I watched the first half of the SA all stars game on YouTube, Brodie Lake was bog for mine, certainly for his team. He was explosive around the contest and hunted the football fearlessly constantly in the right position and was strong overhead. In a season without much if a form guide to go from I would be really disappointed if we didn't pick him up.

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

Considering that SUNS will pre-list possibly 2 midfielders in Davies and Lake, Reid/Chapman could be our target indeed.

GOLD COAST SUNS

Draft picks
: 5, 27, 37, 76, 84

Father-Son/Academy prospects: Alex Davies, Joel Jeffrey, Brodie Lake, Max Pescud

The Suns will take a top-10 selection into the draft, as well as snaring academy gun Alex Davies and NT’s Joel Jeffrey. While there are a number of top midfielders in the mix around the selection, it might well be defenders Zach Reid and Heath Chapman who are considered by the Suns. Reid is an impressive marking option standing at over 200cm, with plenty of upside for any club who drafts him. While he will take some time to develop, he is the perfect player for the Suns to look at alongside Chapman. The Victorian had a chance to play country footy this year, while the West Australian climbed up the draft boards with great showings. Chapman’s Colts form was too good to ignore, with the West Perth tall pushing into the senior side later in the year. He took out WA’s 2km time trial and could well jump into the top 10.

Last edited:
Will Brodie will stay he’s looking pretty happy with the boys on socials.

It would be very smart to split and grab two key positions. That would defiantly be a big step in the right direction.

Don't really want Chapman and Reid , prefer ready make player, chapman is a poor men DGB , Reid need few year to fill up , and by that time either request home or delisted like Leslie . Chapman is 193 cm .

Don't really want Chapman and Reid , prefer ready make player, chapman is a poor men DGB , Reid need few year to fill up , and by that time either request home or delisted like Leslie . Chapman is 193 cm .

Ideally I would love McDonald or DGB but they won’t be available by pick 5. Also I think Bombers and GWS are better equipped then us to trade up to Kangaroos pick as Swans, Crows and Hawks are no chance to swap

Ideally I would love McDonald or DGB but they won’t be available by pick 5. Also I think Bombers and GWS are better equipped then us to trade up to Kangaroos pick as Swans, Crows and Hawks are no chance to swap
Just take best available , remember the person that write the article is an Essendon fan , if i am Essendon fan i also want Phillip and Holland at 6 and 7 for rebuild the midfield .
I happy for Essendon to take Reid and chapman than pick somebody outside of top 6 .

Bulldog have morel better midfielder than GCS, and they still trade in Treloar.

*Just because you can't trade up do not mean you take a player outside the top 6 .
Essendon can always trade out future first if they want pick 5.

Last edited:
Just take best available , remember the person that write the article is an Essendon fan , if i am Essendon fan i also want Phillip and Holland at 6 and 7 for rebuild the midfield .
I happy for Essendon to take Reid and chapman than pick somebody outside of top 6 .

*Just because you can't trade up do not mean you take a player outside the top 6 .

Splitting a blue chip pick to get 2 speculative picks who may never be best 22 when we are struggling for list spots is stupidest thing I've seen on this thread in a long time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think pick 5 would make a big difference when negotiating with North. North would still get a top quality player with it contrary to Bombers, GWS picks.

I think pick 5 would make a big difference when negotiating with North. North would still get a top quality player with it contrary to Bombers, GWS picks.

This.

The North supporters on BF like this idea better than any 2 Essendon picks.

Probably would need to be our 2 seconds this year and some exchange of future 1st and 2nd Rd picks in North's favour

This.

The North supporters on BF like this idea better than any 2 Essendon picks.

Probably would need to be our 2 seconds this year and some exchange of future 1st and 2nd Rd picks in North's favour
More to play with GCS second Rd .

More to play with GCS second Rd .

Good get.

So what this means is our picks will become more valuable to teams with Academy/FS players AFTER they have matched bids on their players, and their later picks disappear and want to get back into the draft by exchanging future picks for our 2nd Rd picks.

Change in List Size numbers

2020 Total List Sizes: 38-47 | 2021 Total List Sizes: 37-44

2020 Primary List: 38-40 | 2021 Primary List: 36-38

2020 Cat A Rookies: 0-6 | 2021 Cat A Rookies: 0-6

2020 Cat B Rookies: 0-3 | 2021 Cat B Rookies: 0-2

Think Jirik13 is right - 50 players , 38 main, 10 rookie A , 2 rookie B

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back