Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting reading about Joseph Suallii the other day. Played state level football, Rugby, rugby league and basketball. Has just apparently signed a $2mil contract over four years To play league as a 16yr old. These sort of deals are a huge reason why changing the draft age would be crazy for the AFL if they want to get the cream of the athletes.

I'd ask 2 questions:
How often do players under 20 get that sort of money in rugby league?
How many kids at 15 or 16 are good enough to choose between rugby league and football as a professional career? I can't remember one - there probably has been, but I doubt money made the difference in the choice.

The main reason this kid is getting paid that money is because there's a tug of war with rugby union and they have to pay him big dollars to get him.

I'd ask 2 questions:
How many kids at 15 or 16 are good enough to choose between rugby league and football as a professional career? I can't remember one - there probably has been, but I doubt money made the difference in the choice.

The main reason this kid is getting paid that money is because there's a tug of war with rugby union and they have to pay him big dollars to get him.

The lad Ponga was in the same position with the AFL a player: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalyn_Ponga

Rugby Aus & Foxtel apparently have done a deal, proving content has value, but $what value .... o_O

Bump.

“We are excited to announce the return of professional Rugby in Australia and the kick-off of Vodafone Super Rugby AU on July 3,” RA interim CEO, Rob Clarke, said.

“Rugby-starved fans will be able to watch their favourite teams in viewer friendly timeslots each week. Additionally, Foxtel has also reached an agreement to air the New Zealand Super Rugby Aotearoa competition, which starts this weekend, so rugby fans can settle in to watch more of the sport they love.

“The return of Super Rugby AU continues the return of live sport to our screens following the resumption of the NRL competition and this week the AFL premiership. We are beginning to see more sports announce and release their plans to return to competition and Foxtel is the best place to see it all.”

I'd ask 2 questions:
Ponga is the only one I can think of. He signed a $3.6m/5 year contract at 18.
Edit: seems there are a few others too. Payne Haas signed a contract almost as big, Moses Suli got more than $1 million under 20 also.

Ponga, Tom Turbo, Heeney. As you say, money probably didn't make the difference for any of them. Ponga signed a contract with the Lions but then realised he enjoyed RL more. Turbo was from a RL family and his older brother was already a professional. Heeney clearly enjoyed footy more.

Bingo. Union are throwing the kitchen sink at him, but they're too poor.

I'd ask 2 questions:

plenty of kids with that dilemma around the Riverina and the ACT.

Paul Kelly, Bradley Clyde and going back even further Greg Brentnall

Current GWS player Zac Williams AFAIK also had to choose and was chased by both codes.

Interesting reading about Joseph Suallii the other day. Played state level football, Rugby, rugby league and basketball. Has just apparently signed a $2mil contract over four years To play league as a 16yr old. These sort of deals are a huge reason why changing the draft age would be crazy for the AFL if they want to get the cream of the athletes.

Good point actually i didn't think of that.

Rugby Union - there's more:

'New Zealand's sizeable expat community in Australia can breathe again - Super Rugby Aotearoa will be broadcast across the ditch after all.

An Australian broadcast deal was announced on Wednesday afternoon, bringing to an end weeks of uncertainty and rising frustration levels among Kiwis across the ditch at pay-TV broadcaster Fox Sports.

5-600,000 Kiwis in Aus.

plenty of kids with that dilemma around the Riverina and the ACT.

Paul Kelly, Bradley Clyde and going back even further Greg Brentnall

Current GWS player Zac Williams AFAIK also had to choose and was chased by both codes.
And that’s where the problem is if they start offering these contracts that the AFL can’t match

I'd ask 2 questions:

Fairly often but not common. It would probably be the guys like Walsh, King’s, Luko, Rankine ect who do so. Ponga and Tom Trbojevic are the two that jump out.

1. Nine will get a Rights' discount of c.20%, saving it $50-70m, for the rest of Nine's deal until end of 2022.ie cf original Rights' $.

2. This says NRL "...was budgeting for losses up to $250m" for season 2020 alone. In 2019, the NRL had revenues c.$550m

3. "The AFL stands to lose at least $104m in TV cash rights this year"ie season 2020 alone.

(Go to Sports Industry tweet 14.5- then click on Adelaide Now "AFL To Lose $104m TV Rights").
Nine are saving 20% of what figure? Just for the current deal?

They offered NRL $925mil for 4 games a round over 5 years, but then on sold their Saturday night game to Foxtel/Fox Sports for $175m, and their exclusive rights to Thursday and Friday night and Sunday games so Fox Sports could show a simulcast, for $25m a year for 5 years.

So 9 effectively got a $300m rebate from Foxtel/Fox Sports, meaning their rights cash expense was $625m, Foxtel after paying this rebate to 9 paid $975m and Telstra paid $200 to get to the 2018-22 total deal of $1.80bil.

Last NRL deal explained

Under the terms of the deal, which were being finalised by lawyers on Thursday night, News Corp and Foxtel partner Telstra have agreed to pay $1.175b over five years for the NRL's pay-TV and digital rights.

With Nine selling back the Saturday night match it bought in August as part of a $925million free-to-air contract, the deal effectively retains the status quo for viewers as there will still be three free-to-air matches and five games on pay TV each week.

Fox Sports will also simulcast the three free-to-air matches after taking up an option to pay Nine $25million per year for the rights, while News Corp paid $175million to buy back the Saturday night match and ensure the continuation of its Super Saturday franchise.
The $35million per season that News Corp has paid to regain the Saturday night match, plus the $125million for the simulcast rights, has reduced the cost of Nine's free-to-air deal to $625million over five years, which includes the State of Origin series and streaming rights.
Telstra is understood to have paid $200million for the digital rights and is also expected to retain the naming rights for the NRL premiership, while the New Zealand broadcast rights could yield up to $150million more to take the overall deal to $2billion.

Last edited:
The problem facing Soccer with Foxtel holding all the cards:

'It is understood that Foxtel are well within their rights to walk away from the existing deal because the broadcaster has not been provided with content for over 20 days which has allegedly triggered a clause in the contract.

To make matters worse, a source confirmed that FFA cannot approach other broadcasters during this period of uncertainty because they would be in breach of contract and could be liable for damages.'

The problem facing Soccer with Foxtel holding all the cards:

'It is understood that Foxtel are well within their rights to walk away from the existing deal because the broadcaster has not been provided with content for over 20 days which has allegedly triggered a clause in the contract.

To make matters worse, a source confirmed that FFA cannot approach other broadcasters during this period of uncertainty because they would be in breach of contract and could be liable for damages.'

Im being told the FFA had planned for a 50% drop down to about 25 million worse case, and that the offer for 10-11 million was somewhat surprising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

V'landys dismisses reports AFL got a better deal out of TV partners

Uncle Roy at it again...

V'landys dismisses reports AFL got a better deal out of TV partners

Uncle Roy at it again...

Does everyone remember when roy masters wrote an article after the 2019 afl grand final stating the nrl gf would smash it because of the disappointing numbers. Then the nrl gf rated even less 😅. The salty old croney is embarrassing I'm suprised he is even still employed.

Does everyone remember when roy masters wrote an article after the 2019 afl grand final stating the nrl gf would smash it because of the disappointing numbers. Then the nrl gf rated even less 😅. The salty old croney is embarrassing I'm suprised he is even still employed.

and yet his audience lapp it all up as gospel.

Im being told the FFA had planned for a 50% drop down to about 25 million worse case, and that the offer for 10-11 million was somewhat surprising.

I know it says the FFA can't negotiate with other parties, but I can't believe they haven't had a quiet word to anyone else.

Although outside of Optus, who else is there?

Il
l will believe bogan big mouth V'Landys when he is willing to tell what the NRL got from Foxtel!
I wonder what V'Landys has to say about the thrashing the last two nights and if this keeps up it will mean that both Ch9 and Foxtel will have paid overs.
Masters is a joke and should be put out to pasture.

Ms Castle/RA knocked back Foxtels offer, there is very little chance Soccer would be realistic imho.
Content has a value based on advertising dollars, subscriptions & production costs - poor ratings are hard to hide from, & Foxtel has a very good handle on the metrics.

The guy is almost parody

VLandys would not have thought twice about using Masters to gaslight about the TV deals. The reality is:

-the NRL copped double the discount of their existing deal than the AFL, which was already 15% lower
-the NRL were forced to lock in the growth part of the rights (subscription / streaming) at a lower amount for almost a decade

and this less than six months after Master's wrote this line:

...but rugby league is the most valuable sport in Australia....by half and not quarters.

What a muppet!

The guy is almost parody

VLandys would not have thought twice about using Masters to gaslight about the TV deals. The reality is:

-the NRL copped double the discount of their existing deal than the AFL, which was already 15% lower
-the NRL were forced to lock in the growth part of the rights (subscription / streaming) at a lower amount for almost a decade

and this less than six months after Master's wrote this line:

What a muppet!

So whats the substance of the Mr V'L claims?

So whats the substance of the Mr V'L claims?

That the NRL have some super secret figures that nobody else knows and that presumably Channel 9 gave a false statement to the stock exchange when they gave an update on how much money they were saving. 🙄

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back