Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The twitter replies are worth a read. Basically a bunch of people trying to discredit the system and say everyone is watching on Kayo.

To be fair, while i'm not an avid follower of the A League I had no idea they even started until I saw it channel hopping last night.

Foxtel knows the numbers on kayo.

The League is currently in a mess and Fox have no intention in promoting it, I'm not surprised nobody knows it restarted last night! Unless you are an avid fan you wouldn't know.

It's worrying times for the FFA and the A-league, how they get through this after the Fox contract runs out July next year will defy the current administration and the club owners. I am yet to read or hear anything about the way the owners want the independent League run and how and when it will commence. As a fan of the game and the league its frustrating that we are again back at square one!

I think the reality is that last night is probably a good sign of how many people would choose to watch the A League up against the AFL and NRL.

It will be interesting to see where it heads from here. I suspect the only way forward is back - i.e inviting back the bigger traditional NSL clubs - particularly if they are going to stick with a move back to winter.

The biggest problem soccer has, as always, is ridiculously inflated expectations and delusions of grandeur. This leads to completely misreading phenomena like the early interest in the A League and the support for the Socceroos at the world cup.

The biggest problem soccer has, as always, is ridiculously inflated expectations and delusions of grandeur. This leads to completely misreading phenomena like the early interest in the A League and the support for the Socceroos at the world cup.

Thats spot on.
Sadly that is happening NOW over womens soccer with the world class girls wanting to play at the highest ($s) levels in the world & thats not Australia, yet the new bloke running the game has delusions that we can have a top ranking league here.

International sports stars visit Australia to perform. Australian sport will never pay top dollar.

I think the reality is that last night is probably a good sign of how many people would choose to watch the A League up against the AFL and NRL.

It will be interesting to see where it heads from here. I suspect the only way forward is back - i.e inviting back the bigger traditional NSL clubs - particularly if they are going to stick with a move back to winter.

The problem is unlike the circlejerk of a few hundred soccer fans on social media most actually follow other sports too and the AFL, NRL and cricket in this country are miles better competitions then the A League.

I would like to think the league can attract more than 12k in any season even up against AFL/NRL some promotion would help but FOX can't do all the heavy lifting for the league anymore and I suspect they are probably sick of doing so too.

Yes I agree to an extent, Western United was a mistake they should have given the License to South Melbourne imo it would have given the league a bit of a kick and re-established some of the old ties the FFA so intentionally cut back in 2005. But are the old NSL clubs really the answer? We've been there before and that didn't turn out to well either. Moving to winter is the current FFA's goal how it works against the AFL/NRL in terms of the season length and schedule will be key beacuse it sure as shit won't win head to head.

Yes! we've gone on about this for a long time the 'diehard' one eyed fans in this country wont change their grandeur or their victim mentality, best way to go about it is to ignore them no matter what noise they make I tend to ignore them on Twitter and Facebook they drive me nuts with some of their dribble. James Johnson is a smart man and understands Soccer and the environment it finds itself in Australia (well so far he's shown that and I hope to think he continues) unlike David Gallop who made the mistake of wanting to take over the world! and the diehards frothed over it! Then they called for his head when of course it didn't happen lol. The Socceroos success does help but it's always temporary and the FFA never seem to take advantage of it!

Last edited:
The problem is unlike the circlejerk of a few hundred soccer fans on social media most actually follow other sports too and the AFL, NRL and cricket in this country are miles better competitions then the A League.

That's why the A-league need to recognise its place and stick with it! Like play out of smaller stadiums, create its own media arm and cater for its fans similar to what the NBL did, reduce expenditure and concentrate on development like a lot of smaller soccer nations do. I know the big player names can be a draw card and there will always be room for that. But for me the league's focus should go back to what it was intended, development.

I would like to think the league can attract more than 12k in any season even up against AFL/NRL some promotion would help but FOX can't do all the heavy lifting for the league anymore and I suspect they are probably sick of doing so too.

Yes I agree to an extent, Western United was a mistake they should have given the License to South Melbourne imo it would have given the league a bit of a kick and re-established some of the old ties the FFA so intentionally cut back in 2005. But are the old NSL clubs really the answer? We've been there before and that didn't turn out to well either. Moving to winter is the current FFA's goal how it works against the AFL/NRL in terms of the season length and schedule will be key beacuse it sure as sh*t won't win head to head.

Yes! we've gone on about this for a long time the 'diehard' one eyed fans in this country wont change their grandeur or their victim mentality, best way to go about it is to ignore them no matter what noise they make I tend to ignore them on Twitter and Facebook they drive me nuts with some of their dribble. James Johnson is a smart man and understands Soccer and the environment it finds itself in Australia (well so far he's shown that and I hope to think he continues) unlike David Gallop who made the mistake of wanting to take over the world! and the diehards frothed over it! Then they called for his head when of course it didn't happen lol. The Socceroos success does help but it's always temporary and the FFA never seem to take advantage of it!

I reckon I agree with 80% of each of your points here

The key about the old NSL clubs is that they are real clubs with multi-generational support. You can't just invent that. The "post-ethnic" franchise opportunities are pretty much all taken up. There is a pretty consistent pattern with these of big novelty wave of support that settles back considerably after a while. This was the case even with the old NSL (eg Perth Glory, Northern Spirit etc). Melbourne Victory is the only example where the support settled down to a level that achieves financial viability (without a wealthy benefactor) under current league spending levels. There aren't any more Melbournes without teams left.

The problem is no matter how far it continues to sink, there will be an upturn in support again and the pressure and expectations will overwhelm whoever is running the show....particularly now with the "democratic" congress election process which essentially means trying to keep happy a lot of vested interests fighting over a pie they imagine will be a lot bigger than it will turn out being. And then its rinse and repeat

I reckon I agree with 80% of each of your points here

The key about the old NSL clubs is that they are real clubs with multi-generational support. You can't just invent that. The "post-ethnic" franchise opportunities are pretty much all taken up. There is a pretty consistent pattern with these of big novelty wave of support that settles back considerably after a while. This was the case even with the old NSL (eg Perth Glory, Northern Spirit etc). Melbourne Victory is the only example where the support settled down to a level that achieves financial viability (without a wealthy benefactor) under current league spending levels. There aren't any more Melbournes without teams left.

The problem is no matter how far it continues to sink, there will be an upturn in support again and the pressure and expectations will overwhelm whoever is running the show....particularly now with the "democratic" congress election process which essentially means trying to keep happy a lot of vested interests fighting over a pie they imagine will be a lot bigger than it will turn out being. And then its rinse and repeat

There are to many levels of governance that contribute one fifth of f@ck all! The state Federations for example have always been a problem and make it very difficult for anything to pass through without any kick backs that helps their own course. They don't care about 'democratic' process only interested in their own power and pockets rather than the game itself! They should all be abolished and replaced with a centralized body under the FFA banner.

There are to many levels of governance that contribute one fifth of f@ck all! The state Federations for example have always been a problem and make it very difficult for anything to pass through without any kick backs that helps their own course. They don't care about 'democratic' process only interested in their own power and pockets rather than the game itself! They should all be abolished and replaced with a centralized body under the FFA banner.

Ideally the FFA would operate like the AFL, as an independent Commission that is mostly "above the fray" so to speak. I think the way that Lowy structured the FFA was meant to get as close to that as possible where the state feds controlled the congress votes and the FFA controlled the state feds. Might be a bit bloated but at least it allowed a common direction to be implemented.

The problem now is that has been busted open and all the vested interests will manoeuvre to get what is best for themselves (or their own particular idea of what is "best for the game" which is inevitably what is best for themselves).

It is hard to see it ending well.

See the tussle over rugby talent:

Suaalii had originally agreed to a $1.7 million deal with the Rabbitohs — the richest contract in the history of rugby league or union for a teenager — back in June.

But the contract couldn’t be registered until August 1, when he turns 17.

The 196cm giant spent the summer training with the NRL squad where he impressed supercoach Wayne Bennett.

Suaalii, a Glenmore Park product, has been in the South Syney juniors since age 11.

Currently a student at the Kings School in Parramatta, Suaalii was given special permission to play for the First XV aged just 14.

See the tussle over rugby talent:

Suaalii had originally agreed to a $1.7 million deal with the Rabbitohs — the richest contract in the history of rugby league or union for a teenager — back in June.

But the contract couldn’t be registered until August 1, when he turns 17.

The 196cm giant spent the summer training with the NRL squad where he impressed supercoach Wayne Bennett.

Suaalii, a Glenmore Park product, has been in the South Syney juniors since age 11.

Currently a student at the Kings School in Parramatta, Suaalii was given special permission to play for the First XV aged just 14.

Union and League handing out millions of dollars to teenagers. Mental.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Union and League handing out millions of dollars to teenagers. Mental.

Seems Rusty will fund the Rabbitohs bid.
The boy can play:
At just 16, Suaalii has already represented NSW in rugby league, rugby union, AFL and basketball. He also represented the Australian Schoolboys and Australian under 18s rugby union sides.

FYI.

A targeted cyber attack is being blamed for an “unexpected disruption” to the Australian television ratings system overnight.
The ratings blackout has forced television executives to endure an anxious wait to pore over the daily ratings figures, which are usually released about 9am.

Of course, when he says "about" 15,000 watched each A-League game on Kayo last season, what he is really saying is that
you will find the odd match pushing up towards 15k.
Does anyone really believe that in a situation where the opening game of the return round can attract 12k, that in the previous season they were averaging 15k across the whole season on Kayo?

Of course, when he says "about" 15,000 watched each A-League game on Kayo last season, what he is really saying is that
you will find the odd match pushing up towards 15k.
Does anyone really believe that in a situation where the opening game of the return round can attract 12k, that in the previous season they were averaging 15k across the whole season on Kayo?

Any which way you look at it, 10k/12k/15k nationally is insignificance.

Good crowds at the WAFL’s opening weekend.

Peel vs Perth at Rushton Park - 3,499
Subiaco vs Claremont at Leederville Oval - 2,304
Swans vs West Perth at Bassendean Oval - 2,916
South vs East Freo at Fremantle Oval - 4,002

I just worked it is a good sign for the WAFL, besides from 2005, the weekends average crowd for the four games was the largest for a Round 1 since 1994 (the year before Freo entered the AFL).

And that 2005 Round 1 average crowd was boosted by the largest individual crowd in a Round 1 since 1986 (the year before West Coast entered the AFL).

Whilst this weekend didn’t even see a single crowd get into the top 10 largest crowds for a round 1 in that time, to have boosted the average.

D0EBA171-E3A8-45E4-99CA-5703E411258B.jpeg
So it means strong crowds across all the grounds so far.

I just worked it is a good sign for the WAFL, besides from 2005, the weekends average crowd for the four games was the largest for a Round 1 since 1994 (the year before Freo entered the AFL).

And that 2005 Round 1 average crowd was boosted by the largest individual crowd in a Round 1 since 1986 (the year before West Coast entered the AFL).

Whilst this weekend didn’t even see a single crowd get into the top 10 largest crowds for a round 1 in that time, to have boosted the average.

View attachment 918156
So it means strong crowds across all the grounds so far.
That's what you get when the AFL are not playing!

Holy moly someone tell Roy!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Don’t!

The old coot will pop a foofer valve.

It must be a Gillon McLaughlin trick!

he can’t talk about rugby without an AFL comparison. He will look for any stat he can find.

More twitter retweets, see, we are more popular!

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back