2020 Pre-Season Supplemental Selection (PSS) & Mid-Season Rookie Drafts (MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pre-Season Supplemental Selection & Mid-Season Rookie Drafts
Background Info

Pre-Season Rookie Selection:

• Clubs will be able to sign players via the rookie list between December 1 and March 15 to fill list spots or to replace retired or seriously injured players.
  • To be eligible for the rookie-list places, players must have nominated for the most recent NAB AFL Draft, or had previously been on the list of an AFL club (termed a pre-season supplemental selection), although they cannot be re-listed by the AFL club that they left the previous season. Retired players must also must have nominated for the most recent NAB AFL Draft.
  • must have nominated for last year's draft to be eligible to be selected.
  • Clubs will be able to take part in the mid-season rookie draft if they have a list spot available, or if they create one by moving a long-term injured or retired player to the new 'inactive list'.

Mid Season Rookie Draft
Draft rules (2019): https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04...les-clubs-allowed-to-test-up-to-three-players
  • Mid-year rookies can be selected for 6 or 18-months.

Last edited:
Recent Reports

HAWTHORN

January 31, 2020

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...e/news-story/29766a025eb08c4d27a07acf6130fab7

At the start of December, the final Hawks spot was Darren Minchington’s to lose. But he may have some competition from one of the unluckiest players to miss out on being drafted in November.
A year after joining Hawthorn via St Kilda, Minchington was delisted at the end of 2019. However, he remained with the training group and was all but guaranteed a rookie spot via the SPP if he completed the pre-season.
However, the Hawks have also been looking at Western Jets half-back Darcy Cassar, who was surprisingly overlooked in last year’s drafts.

Darcy Cassar

Jan 22, 2020

HAWTHORN is weighing up the prospect of handing exciting youngster Darcy Cassar an AFL lifeline after he was overlooked in last year's NAB AFL Draft

Darren Minchington
December 2, 2019
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/de...e/news-story/95b1ab31814992608f1c6cc466312572

Delisted Hawk Darren Minchington set to return to Waverley Park in bid for another chance

Luke Partington
Nov 29, 2019
https://www.afl.com.au/news/202618/dunn-bennell-brown-who-else-will-get-a-ssp-lifeline

(the Hawks have) also shown interest in Magarey medallist Luke Partington

Last edited:

Darcy Cassar … cut & pasted Video, Articles, Comments and Info

Video

Western Jets/Vic Metro | Utility
31/07/2001 | 184cm | 82kg
Footy jumper: No 39

Video can also be found at: Dark Blue Jumper No: 16, then light blue Jumper No: 20
https://draftprospects.prod.afl/prospect/281163

------------------------------------

Articles

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/darcy-cassar/

STRENGTHS:

Accumulation
Versatility
Kicking
Outside game
Rebounding

Cassar’s best traits were on full show in his early-season purple patch where he was able to sweep up a heap of ball in the back half and use his efficient kicking to hit both short and long targets on the rebound. His 41-disposal effort against Geelong Falcons was the peak of that form and came just at the right time – in the lead up to the National Championships – duly highlighting Cassar’s ability to create damage from his wealth of possessions in the back half. At the fore of that was Cassar’s sound kicking and the way he mixes his options, relieving pressure with easy short kicks to set up a counter or using his penetration to simply clear down the line. It also points toward his versatility, adapting to the move seamlessly after originally being touted for more of a mid-forward role at the start of the year. We were reminded of Cassar’s forward craft in his outing against Vic Country though, with the Metro representative slotting a shrewd dribbler early in the piece, while he moved up onto a wing many times for the Jets. Clubs love players who they can see fitting in just about anywhere, and it is no secret that Cassar can do just that.

IMPROVEMENTS:

Consistency
Inside work

We say just about anywhere, and that is because Cassar still has a way to go in terms of improving his inside game. His uncontested possession rate hovered at 65 per cent across each level this year, making him very much that outside type who prefers the flanks or wing. While his ability to create on the outer is valuable, Cassar is still unproven in terms of winning his own ball consistently. Still, he averaged 2.5 tackles in all three of his NAB League seasons, but will have to work on the defensive side of his game in order to become a more two-way and all-round player. Consistency is the other area of improvement for Cassar and while it may seem harsh given his awesome run of five games early in the year, he was a touch more patchy later on. His disposal high of 41 in the NAB League was countered but was followed late in the season by a tally of 11 in the Jets’ penultimate game. When he is not dominant, Cassar can also fade in and out of games too, popping up in smaller spurts of his usual form. If he carried on his form into the back half of the year and had a greater impact up forward, Cassar could well have pushed into first-round contention. But in terms of his upside and what he showed in the defensive half, he has plenty of traits for fans to look forward to in the future.

-----------------------

November 26, 2019
Providing some speed and dash off half-back with neat kicking skills, Darcy Cassar is a player with some top shelf traits, and just needs to iron out inconsistencies to take the next step. At his best he is contending for a top 20 (draft) spot…

November 11, 2019
Having had experience in all thirds of the ground – playing mid/forward as a bottom-ager last year, and as a defender/forward at points this season, Cassar has versatility on his side. He stepped it up in a mid-season purple patch for the Western Jets where he even racked up 40-plus disposals coming out of defence. Averaging 69.6 per cent by foot, Cassar was typically deployed as a rebounding defender who was the choice to dispose of the ball cleanly when moving in transition. He did only win the football in a contest 35.6 per cent of the time, but it was also his role that lead to this. Cassar does have power on his side in the way he moves, with a 3.01-second 20m sprint, as well as good endurance that helps him run out games. His upside is quite solid as well given what he has shown over the past 18 months, and depending on where AFL clubs might want to deploy him at the elite level, it will be interesting to see how his career progresses and what role he will play at the top level.

October 7, 2019
As a bottom-ager last year, Cassar thrived as a half-forward/wing who would move the ball in transition and show power in his running to be able to impact for his side going inside 50. He is capable of hitting the scoreboard while playing in the forward half, but as he has shown so far in season 2019, he is just as adaptable in defence. Cassar has spent the season in the backline for the Western Jets, averaging a massive 28.2 disposals, 6.8 marks and 6.9 rebounds per game. He has added that element to his game, and expect him to be a versatile player at the national championships for Vic Metro, playing up whichever end is required of him, while also being able to play in the midfield.
Last month: The Jets were eliminated in the semi-finals by Gippsland Power, with Cassar picking up the 17 disposals and three marks in that game after a quiet game against Northern Knights in the elimination final where he had 11 touches and just the one rebound. His form prior to that was quite good, but just showed the consistency to iron out at the next level.

-------------------------

Last edited:
Darren Minchington Update

01/02/20 From the thread: 2020 HFC Pre Season Training

Minchington injured again.

Also the young fella from SA with the business at the front and party at the back (Josh Morris) look(s to have)… a knee injury and all bandaged up which is sad to see.
Another hamstring niggle I was told. Not sure how bad or how long. In the rehab group and working the bikes.
Back tightness only. No damage at this stage to the hamstring. Should only be out of action for a small amount of time.
He did it last week

Last edited:
Thanks for the terrific research Alite. Darcy has trained very well and has not looked out of place. He has a mature body for an 18 year old, reads the
play well and has good skills. From what I've observed I think Darcy has shown he is prepared do everything in his power to earn the last place on
the list. I hope he gets the opportunity to live his dream of playing in the AFL.

I'd like to see us take Cassar in the supplemental period and tell Minch we'll pick him up in the mid season draft should we need another small or medium forward then
We've only got one spot left on our list, don't you need a spare if you plan to add someone mid-season?

We've only got one spot left on our list, don't you need a spare if you plan to add someone mid-season?
Hence why I said "should we need another small or medium forward".

By mid season most clubs have at least 1 player that is placed on the LTI list that wasn't on it at the start of the season opening up a rookie spot

Just looking at his possessions, his number of contested possessions to uncontested possessions has dropped each year since 2017. He went from 27 (contested) and 22 (uncontested), 132 and 184, and in 2019 had 93 and 170. Read an article on Hartung and a few other AFL flops. All were mainly uncontested types.

Hard pass from me.

Just looking at his possessions, his number of contested possessions to uncontested possessions has dropped each year since 2017. He went from 27 (contested) and 22 (uncontested), 132 and 184, and in 2019 had 93 and 170. Read an article on Hartung and a few other AFL flops. All were mainly uncontested types.

Hard pass from me.
Some of that is due to position and role changes. I’ve seen some ‘utility’ players suffer from their own versatility when it comes to being drafted. Worried why all clubs passed on him, suggests an attitude or similarly serious problem. Nothing like the scare of not being drafted to fix that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard pass from me.
Go read grant birchall’s pre-draft comments. Was highly uncontested before and after. But could win one when he needed too. See hill. See smith.

Hard pass from me.

I never thought Hartung's problem was the uncontested side of his game - it was his horrible decision making. He would get the ball, run 40 metres forward, pause, look both ways, hesitate then handball to a teammate with an opposition player right next to him. Hilly would run 40 metres then hit a forward on the chest. Both would squib contests during the regular season.

If Cassar has the workrate and the drive to succeed then I don't think his uncontested possessions pre-draft really matter. He still averaged something like 3 tackles which suggests he can get down and dirty. Here is a quote from Knightmare regarding Cassar: 'Good kicking/vision. Provides run. Intercepts. Will get consideration from the mid draft point onwards with a good season.' Truth be told I'd prefer him to a constantly injured Minchington.

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 Pre-Season Supplemental Selection (PSS) & Mid-Season Rookie Drafts (MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back