2020 Pre-Season Supplemental Selection (PSS) & Mid-Season Rookie Drafts (MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

Minch is more the player we need. Cassar doesn't add any value in the area we have few back ups
I reckon that's the thinking.

They must like Cassar, but acknowledge we need depth in the small forward role, which Minchington is.

They will probably use the MSD to take Cassar

Darcy Cassar is a bit of a shy guy so not the confident boss you want to recruit, but i would prefer him to a guy who has had 8 years in the system for little return, it seems obvious that giving Cassar 2 years to prove himself is a better option than giving a guy with a busted up body who has yet to prove he belongs at the highest level another shot imo.

My guess is the club is keeping its options open for the MSD. Cassar spent 2 weeks with us similar to Partington. Perhaps the club will keep an eye on both and reassess positional needs closer to the MSD
Do we have a spot available to add someone via MSD if we add Minch via PSS or whatever acronym it uses?

Darren Minchingtoncut & pasted Info and Video

He has been at the club for a year: we know what we hope he could bring to our teams and club.

Info:
DOB: 9 December 1993 (age 26), Height:179 cm (5 ft 10 in), Weight: 82 kg (181 lb)

Video

And Jumper 41 in his pre draft video:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My understanding based on the AFL.com article at the time of listing with BHH

As I understood it because he retired Deledio needed to be nominated and overlooked in the drafts to be eligible

He didn't do so
https://news-networkeditorial.s3-ap...masthead/heraldsun/leader/pdfs/draft_list.pdf

So assume it's a non-starter.

My understanding based on the AFL.com article at the time of listing with BHH
I think the requirement of registering for and being overlooked in the national draft was only in relation to a player being re-selected by his former club or Morris and the Bulldogs. So doesn't apply to Lids, but could be wrong.

Coincidentally, the AFL introduced this rule right after Rioli retired. Just sayin.

Many seem to think that Darren Minchington is the type of player that we need = a pressure forward.

Darren is fast... agreed. But his past seems to indicate he is better suited as a receiver.

I’d prefer we use Oli .. or Finn as a pressure forward.

Maybe ask Minchington to play for half a year at Box Hill to show he can be a pressure forward... and that his body will hold up, and then pick him up in the MSD.

Keep the spot open.

Last edited:
Many seem to think that Darren Minchington is the type of player that we need = we need a pressure forward.

Darren is fast... Agreed. But his past shows him as a receiver not the one to pressure.

Mincho is not the guy we need to fill the hole for a pressure forward.

I’d prefer we use Oli .. or Finn as a pressure forward.

My thought is that we ask Minchington to excel in the VFL as a pressure forward.

keep the spot open
Finn Has the physical attributes, but playing him there means not developing him in inside/outside midfield roles, which are probably more valuable in the mid-long term.

Olli isn’t & from what I’ve seen & read, will never be a pressure forward.

Lids is definitely a player of our interest.

I love the irony of ending up with Franklin, Roughy, Lewis AND Deledio from the 2004 draft, but how many
#1 picks from other clubs can we fit in the side? The 3-peat only had 1 #1 pick, and if we have Deledio in the side, we'll have 3 running around.

If they really plan to see how he goes for the first half of the year body wise at Box Hill and then grab him if he's still 100% health wise in the MSD, then this seems like a smart move.

I love the irony of ending up with Franklin, Roughy, Lewis AND Deledio from the 2004 draft, but how many
#1 picks from other clubs can we fit in the side? The 3-peat only had 1 #1 pick, and if we have Deledio in the side, we'll have 3 running around.

If they really plan to see how he goes for the first half of the year body wise at Box Hill and then grab him if he's still 100% health wise in the MSD, then this seems like a smart move.
We’d kinda have 4x because JO’M was the first pick before the first pick in that weird little pre-draft thingo back in 2011/2 or whenever it was.

Harry Pepper impressed me in the NAB Champs and NAB League Finals with his team first defending. He would leave his direct opponent to apply pressure
and provide support for his team mates and then run hard to pick up a loose opponent. Harry is quick and has shown good footy smarts and could
well fill the role as a pressure forward in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 Pre-Season Supplemental Selection (PSS) & Mid-Season Rookie Drafts (MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back