2020 Pre-Season Supplemental Selection (PSS) & Mid-Season Rookie Drafts (MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

Minch. Lock him.

Well if that's the case good luck to him.

I can see why we would choose him over Cassar, as the club probably see us as a legit premiership threat and a player like him could come im handy.

Personally though I would prefer Cassar.

Minch can't even get on the park for more than a few weeks at a time so to me it's a wasted pick.

Hope I'm wrong.

We’d kinda have 4x because JO’M was the first pick before the first pick in that weird little pre-draft thingo back in 2011/2 or whenever it was.

That is certainly arguable. GC gave up pick 4 and and a first round compo pick (not sure what number it was) to get that mini draft pick (and pick 31) from GWS. If the compo pick was high enough that might make the mini draft pick equivalent to pick 1 in the full afl draft (part of the reason GC were using at the time for justifying so much for an injured JOM).

Well if that's the case good luck to him.

I can see why we would choose him over Cassar, as the club probably see us as a legit premiership threat and a player like him could come im handy.

Personally though I would prefer Cassar.

Minch can't even get on the park for more than a few weeks at a time so to me it's a wasted pick.

Hope I'm wrong.
We're desperate for a small fwd. Desperate.

That is certainly arguable. GC gave up pick 4 and and a first round compo pick (not sure what number it was) to get that mini draft pick (and pick 31) from GWS. If the compo pick was high enough that might make the mini draft pick equivalent to pick 1 in the full afl draft (part of the reason GC were using at the time for justifying so much for an injured JOM).
Interesting way to look at it. If I recall, JOM was a standout and would have gone pick 1 in the ND if there was no mini draft.

If we use it I’d prefer Minchington. There is risk of course, but the pick is there to take a risk I reckon. We’ve had all pre season to watch him and make a judgement call and decide if it’s worth a punt. If he does somehow get over his hammies he will make our squad stronger this upcoming season given his playing style. If he pulls it again pre season it’s curtains but at the moment I’m erring on the side of having a punt on him, and don’t think it’s the end of the world if it doesn’t come off.

Interesting way to look at it. If I recall, JOM was a standout and would have gone pick 1 in the ND if there was no mini draft.

Yes that too, although like father son picks it can be tricky to speculate on where they would go in an open draft. JOM was certainly the standout, but if the team with the #1 pick really felt they had a stacked midfield and were shallow in KP or rucks it is possible he'd have dropped a place or two. Patton for example went #1 that year.

If you look at the 2011 draft we've done pretty well out of it for a team whose first pick was 33. From that draft we now have Patton, JOM, Wingard, Tom Mitchell and used our pick 33 on Hill. Those kind of numbers really make a mockery of those folks on the main board who criticise Hawthorn for "ignoring the elite end of the draft". More than one way to get elite talent onto your list.

If you look at the 2011 draft we've done pretty well out of it for a team whose first pick was 33. From that draft we now have Patton, JOM, Wingard, Tom Mitchell and used our pick 33 on Hill. Those kind of numbers really make a mockery of those folks on the main board who criticise Hawthorn for "ignoring the elite end of the draft". More than one way to get elite talent onto your list.
Wow didn't realise they were all the same draft class which is exactly 10 years after we nailed the 2001 draft.

Wow didn't realise they were all the same draft class which is exactly 10 years after we nailed the 2001 draft.

Arguably a better haul than 2001 if Patton plays out his career without further injury problems (a big if admittedly).

Looking at players that eventually made their way to us, and played senior games:
2001:Hodge, S.Mitchell , Hale, Brown, Ladson, Cox
vs
2011: JOM, Wingard, Patton, T.Mitchell, Hill

Peak talent probably a bit higher in 2001, but I reckon 2011 has higher average talent, we traded in Gunston in 2011 too, but probably not right to include him given we are talking "players drafted in that year that eventually made their way to our list".

Such a pity we let Hill slip away, given he's ended up coming back to Melbourne anyway.

Arguably a better haul than 2001 if Patton plays out his career without further injury problems (a big if admittedly).

Looking at players that eventually made their way to us, and played senior games:
2001:Hodge, S.Mitchell , Hale, Brown, Ladson, Cox
vs
2011: JOM, Wingard, Patton, T.Mitchell, Hill

Peak talent probably a bit higher in 2001, but I reckon 2011 has higher average talent, we traded in Gunston in 2011 too, but probably not right to include him given we are talking "players drafted in that year that eventually made their way to our list".

Such a pity we let Hill slip away, given he's ended up coming back to Melbourne anyway.
You forgot Lake

You forgot Lake

Oops, so I did. Stopped looking carefully that far down the list. Looking at how that end of the draft panned out, seems I wasn't the only one who stopped looking that far down. Lions, Freo, Saints and Melbourne all declined to pick any player with their last pick despite their picks being before where Lake went. Shows how massively underrated he was. Hopefully Mitchell Lewis is another player that shows going 70+ doesn't mean you're no good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oops, so I did. Stopped looking carefully that far down the list. Looking at how that end of the draft panned out, seems I wasn't the only one who stopped looking that far down. Lions, Freo, Saints and Melbourne all declined to pick any player with their last pick despite their picks being before where Lake went. Shows how massively underrated he was. Hopefully Mitchell Lewis is another player that shows going 70+ doesn't mean you're no good.
Wasn't the only under-rated player. Did you check the rookie draft?

Wasn't the only under-rated player. Did you check the rookie draft?

You're right, quite a few gems that year in the Rookie draft (Quinten Lynch, Matthew Boyd, Sandilands, Rutten, Bock, Pods), sadly we didn't seem to end up benefiting from any of them, we did seem to continually dodge Bret Thornton during trade week though, so that that's a positive :) It seems not many really good mids go in the Rookie draft in general, but its less unusual to see decent small forwards, small defenders or even the odd decent KP players come through the rookie draft.

Taking Minchington is the more prudent move because he more fits the areas that we're lacking for depth. Cassar might end up a good footballer, but I'm not sure we're too hungry for back flankers, particularly ones that likely won't see game time for a couple of seasons.

To be fair, if you look down the list of the 2001 Draft, you won't see "Lake's" name! That Brian Harris bloke went alright though.

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 Pre-Season Supplemental Selection (PSS) & Mid-Season Rookie Drafts (MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back