2020 Pre-Season Supplemental Selection (PSS) & Mid-Season Rookie Drafts (MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

You're a state league team. A player has just signed an AFL contract.

No need to be seething, there is jusy a better opportunity for the player. Cant get annoyed about it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I was hardly trying to defend it mate - I was posing a thought as to why that might be angry - like I also said, it was a guess.

What's the deal with South Adelaide?
They've probs built their 2020 plans around having him as 1st Ruck, then they lose him 2x weeks before the season starts - that's my guess.
You're a state league team. A player has just signed an AFL contract.

No need to be seething, there is jusy a better opportunity for the player. Cant get annoyed about it.

Brooksby played for South Adelaide, without much fanfare, for several years. He'd just signed to go back to them. This is the second time that South have lost a ruckman in less than nine months. Michael Knoll was picked up in the mid season draft last year and that really did disrupt their midfield set up. Yeah, if I was part of a struggling club who had signed up a good past player & then watched him go off somewhere else, I'd be pretty "annoyed" too.

Brooksby played for South Adelaide, without much fanfare, for several years. He'd just signed to go back to them. This is the second time that South have lost a ruckman in less than nine months. Michael Knoll was picked up in the mid season draft last year and that really did disrupt their midfield set up. Yeah, if I was part of a struggling club who had signed up a good past player & then watched him go off somewhere else, I'd be pretty "annoyed" too.
Create an environment to people succeed. If someone has been given an opportunity you cant provide, you shake their hand and wish them good luck.

Otherwise, change your recruitment strategy if you wish. Get guys that are no chance of getting AFL listed.

Sorry wasnt having a go. Just saying my thoughts on the matter haha.

Sorry man - all good.

From what I understood, the SA team was complaining of how late in the (pre) season it was occurring.

I'm sure they wish these players all the best, but I can appreciate their frustration. I doubt they're compensated either - perhaps the club should get some form of compensation?

I'd also like to see State League clubs get some form of incentive to bring in players from other sports - give the players a year or 2 at State Level before AFL. Just a thought & probs getting off topic.

CJ upgrade from Cat B to Cat A.

I am unsure if this is possible, the AFL’s rules are so convoluted, but it may be that the Hawks will upgrade Jiath from a Cat B rookie (not able to play unless elevated to the senior list due to an LTI) to Cat A Rookie = he can play anytime.

Personally : I love it when CJ is on the field. He defends with gusto, he beats opponents with his jump, he tackles well, he runs to space, he stuffs up on occasion, but he often intercepts and then creates.

CJ could do a part of the Hardwick role... as a lock down defender, but not be the creative kicker.
And when Hardwick comes back... CJ could be released to a Half back role.

If CJ can be upgraded, maybe this was part of the reason that Minchington was not PSSed.

Keegan Brooksby is 197cm and 29 years old. A good mark but not great. I don’t see it.
TOB in the middle for his jump.
Connor Nash (198cm) in the Ruck around the ground as he is a better option for his follow up, he has great hands and is an awesome tackler.
It has been suggested above that his value on the list could be to protect reeves from spending too much time in the ruck at vfl. Not going to find a ruckman at this stage of the year who is unsigned. So it is either list them or do without.

It has been suggested above that his value on the list could be to protect reeves from spending too much time in the ruck at vfl. Not going to find a ruckman at this stage of the year who is unsigned. So it is either list them or do without.
Also, because of his cool name

So with Golds injury does this free up another spot on the senior list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t see why now we wouldn’t go back to Minchington. Unless he did another soft tissue injury we don’t know about? Would be perfect chance to sign him now and we need his zip in small forward spot.

I don’t see why now we wouldn’t go back to Minchington. Unless he did another soft tissue injury we don’t know about? Would be perfect chance to sign him now and we need his zip in small forward spot.

Darcy Cassar please.

LTI Gould’s and get this kid on the park ASAP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Minch is another 26yo player with unfortunate hammy injuries.

Will Golds a fast runner in his 2nd year at the club, sadly will be out for the year.

I'm unsure what the best option is for the club, I'm still curious on young Darcy Cassar as he appeared a likely type.
Cassar played all areas of the ground and is a good kick.
If the club wants like for like Cassar is an option.

Does anyone know where Cassar has signed with for season 2020?

I've tried to check info but unable to find any info on where he will be playing.

Minch is another 26yo player with unfortunate hammy injuries.

Will Golds a fast runner in his 2nd year at the club, sadly will be out for the year.

I'm unsure what the best option is for the club, I'm still curious on young Darcy Cassar as he appeared a likely type.
Cassar played all areas of the ground and is a good kick.
If the club wants like for like Cassar is an option.

Does anyone know where Cassar has signed with for season 2020?

I've tried to check info but unable to find any info on where he will be playing.
Pretty sure it's a SANFL club, for 3yrs from memory

Edit: that may have been the ex-eagle midfielder, now that I think of it - forget his name

Who’s available?

Minchington
Partington
Cassar

The only realistic option is to convince Rioli to come out of retirement. ;)

If Rioli had a change of heart, would he be eligible for the mid-season draft?

Darcy Cassar … cut & pasted Video, Articles, Comments and Info

Video

Western Jets/Vic Metro | Utility
31/07/2001 | 184cm | 82kg
Footy jumper: No 39

Video can also be found at: Dark Blue Jumper No: 16, then light blue Jumper No: 20
https://draftprospects.prod.afl/prospect/281163

------------------------------------

Articles

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/darcy-cassar/

STRENGTHS:

Accumulation
Versatility
Kicking
Outside game
Rebounding

Cassar’s best traits were on full show in his early-season purple patch where he was able to sweep up a heap of ball in the back half and use his efficient kicking to hit both short and long targets on the rebound. His 41-disposal effort against Geelong Falcons was the peak of that form and came just at the right time – in the lead up to the National Championships – duly highlighting Cassar’s ability to create damage from his wealth of possessions in the back half. At the fore of that was Cassar’s sound kicking and the way he mixes his options, relieving pressure with easy short kicks to set up a counter or using his penetration to simply clear down the line. It also points toward his versatility, adapting to the move seamlessly after originally being touted for more of a mid-forward role at the start of the year. We were reminded of Cassar’s forward craft in his outing against Vic Country though, with the Metro representative slotting a shrewd dribbler early in the piece, while he moved up onto a wing many times for the Jets. Clubs love players who they can see fitting in just about anywhere, and it is no secret that Cassar can do just that.

IMPROVEMENTS:

Consistency
Inside work

We say just about anywhere, and that is because Cassar still has a way to go in terms of improving his inside game. His uncontested possession rate hovered at 65 per cent across each level this year, making him very much that outside type who prefers the flanks or wing. While his ability to create on the outer is valuable, Cassar is still unproven in terms of winning his own ball consistently. Still, he averaged 2.5 tackles in all three of his NAB League seasons, but will have to work on the defensive side of his game in order to become a more two-way and all-round player. Consistency is the other area of improvement for Cassar and while it may seem harsh given his awesome run of five games early in the year, he was a touch more patchy later on. His disposal high of 41 in the NAB League was countered but was followed late in the season by a tally of 11 in the Jets’ penultimate game. When he is not dominant, Cassar can also fade in and out of games too, popping up in smaller spurts of his usual form. If he carried on his form into the back half of the year and had a greater impact up forward, Cassar could well have pushed into first-round contention. But in terms of his upside and what he showed in the defensive half, he has plenty of traits for fans to look forward to in the future.

-----------------------

November 26, 2019
Providing some speed and dash off half-back with neat kicking skills, Darcy Cassar is a player with some top shelf traits, and just needs to iron out inconsistencies to take the next step. At his best he is contending for a top 20 (draft) spot…

November 11, 2019
Having had experience in all thirds of the ground – playing mid/forward as a bottom-ager last year, and as a defender/forward at points this season, Cassar has versatility on his side. He stepped it up in a mid-season purple patch for the Western Jets where he even racked up 40-plus disposals coming out of defence. Averaging 69.6 per cent by foot, Cassar was typically deployed as a rebounding defender who was the choice to dispose of the ball cleanly when moving in transition. He did only win the football in a contest 35.6 per cent of the time, but it was also his role that lead to this. Cassar does have power on his side in the way he moves, with a 3.01-second 20m sprint, as well as good endurance that helps him run out games. His upside is quite solid as well given what he has shown over the past 18 months, and depending on where AFL clubs might want to deploy him at the elite level, it will be interesting to see how his career progresses and what role he will play at the top level.

October 7, 2019
As a bottom-ager last year, Cassar thrived as a half-forward/wing who would move the ball in transition and show power in his running to be able to impact for his side going inside 50. He is capable of hitting the scoreboard while playing in the forward half, but as he has shown so far in season 2019, he is just as adaptable in defence. Cassar has spent the season in the backline for the Western Jets, averaging a massive 28.2 disposals, 6.8 marks and 6.9 rebounds per game. He has added that element to his game, and expect him to be a versatile player at the national championships for Vic Metro, playing up whichever end is required of him, while also being able to play in the midfield.
Last month: The Jets were eliminated in the semi-finals by Gippsland Power, with Cassar picking up the 17 disposals and three marks in that game after a quiet game against Northern Knights in the elimination final where he had 11 touches and just the one rebound. His form prior to that was quite good, but just showed the consistency to iron out at the next level.

-------------------------

just giving this one a bump....

I hope now With Gould’s knew that we give this kid a go.

CJ upgrade from Cat B to Cat A.

I am unsure if this is possible, the AFL’s rules are so convoluted, but it may be that the Hawks will upgrade Jiath from a Cat B rookie (not able to play unless elevated to the senior list due to an LTI) to Cat A Rookie = he can play anytime.

Personally : I love it when CJ is on the field. He defends with gusto, he beats opponents with his jump, he tackles well, he runs to space, he stuffs up on occasion, but he often intercepts and then creates.

CJ could do a part of the Hardwick role... as a lock down defender, but not be the creative kicker.
And when Hardwick comes back... CJ could be released to a Half back role.

If CJ can be upgraded, maybe this was part of the reason that Minchington was not PSSed.

apart from that he’s shown enough that we need to ward off other clubs sniffing around

Minch. Believe
Would be a massive feel good story if he got another chance like this (not for poor Golds) and managed to cement a spot in the 22. Fingers crossed he is given the opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 Pre-Season Supplemental Selection (PSS) & Mid-Season Rookie Drafts (MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back