Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Treacy gets better every game. Chapman is just getting going again after missing a lot of footy but he's class.
Brandon Walker already one of the best stoppers of smalls in the game and good on the counter.
Even if O'Driscoll ends up a bust its pretty good business from Freo in a relatively weak pool.
Unreal drafting really considering the strength of this draft.

Coming from a fair way back but Perkins is coming with a hurry. Bedding down his spot as a fwd/mid and averaging 19.7 and almost a goal a game this year. Showing he’s going to be a very, very good player.

Nik Cox is showing signs of life after the unicorn spluttered early days

Oh, and the most talented of the three army picks came back after several weeks out in the VFL and had 25 and 10 marks.

As I said, coming from a long way back and the top 5 - 10 guys are exceptional players. Gulden, Holmes, McDonald, Jamara etc.

Coming from a fair way back but Perkins is coming with a hurry. Bedding down his spot as a fwd/mid and averaging 19.7 and almost a goal a game this year. Showing he’s going to be a very, very good player.

Nik Cox is showing signs of life after the unicorn spluttered early days

Oh, and the most talented of the three army picks came back after several weeks out in the VFL and had 25 and 10 marks.

As I said, coming from a long way back and the top 5 - 10 guys are exceptional players. Gulden, Holmes, McDonald, Jamara etc.
Love watching Archie. Going to be a big game player I reckon

Love watching Archie. Going to be a big game player I reckon
I mentioned just the other day, he’s probably not as dynamic as what people (myself) were hoping but his production level is quite good. On top of that, exactly what you said, he seems to rise when the big moments are at stake.

It’s not ridiculous to float the idea that Josh Treacy would be a top 2 pick in the draft now. Only Errol Gulden is clearly ahead of him here at this stage, 4 years in. Holmes and Jamarra are the other two that you can mount a decent case for being ahead of him but it’s certainly not clearcut.
What Treacy is doing is almost unprecedented for a player taken in the rookie draft as a key forward. We hear it all the time - elite key forwards come almost exclusively in the first round. It’s the hardest position in the ground to find an elite talent. Off the top of my head, we have to go back to Taylor Walker 17 years ago for a top quality long term key forward taken in the junk pick range of the draft.

It’s not ridiculous to float the idea that Josh Treacy would be a top 2 pick in the draft now. Only Errol Gulden is clearly ahead of him here at this stage, 4 years in. Holmes and Jamarra are the other two that you can mount a decent case for being ahead of him but it’s certainly not clearcut.
What Treacy is doing is almost unprecedented for a player taken in the rookie draft as a key forward. We hear it all the time - elite key forwards come almost exclusively in the first round. It’s the hardest position in the ground to find an elite talent. Off the top of my head, we have to go back to Taylor Walker 17 years ago for a top quality long term key forward taken in the junk pick range of the draft.
Using unprecedented talking about young players is going to get you in trouble haha. I do struggle to think who I'd clearly take ahead of him. JUH more talented, Holmes is very very good but theres just something about the big angry full forward had all the right kind of aggression.

Unbelievable growth this year

Walker was a zone selection or something though, not a true junk pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Using unprecedented talking about young players is going to get you in trouble haha. I do struggle to think who I'd clearly take ahead of him. JUH more talented, Holmes is very very good but theres just something about the big angry full forward had all the right kind of aggression.

Unbelievable growth this year
Unprecedented may be too strong a word, but it’s remarkable how few elite key forwards there are over the last 15 or 20 years that did not come from the very pointy end of the draft. You can get all other positions in the rookie draft at an elite level every now and then. There has been AA small forwards, rucks, key defenders even elite midfielders outside the top 30 picks in a reasonably regular basis. I’m not saying Treacy will reach that level (but quite hopeful the way he’s going).

Off the top of my head in recent times, naming some of the elite key forwards of the comp here:
Cameron
Curnow
Hawkins
Mackay
Franklin
Riewoldt x 2
Lynch
Daniher
Josh kennedy
Hogan
Pavlich

Actually I’ve thought of one. Nick Larkey at pick 73 in 2016. But jeez it’s rare.
All the other current top end guys come from the top end of the draft. If you can jag a key forward with a nothing pick it’s huge for the club.

Unprecedented may be too strong a word, but it’s remarkable how few elite key forwards there are over the last 15 or 20 years that did not come from the very pointy end of the draft. You can get all other positions in the rookie draft at an elite level every now and then. There has been AA small forwards, rucks, key defenders even elite midfielders outside the top 30 picks in a reasonably regular basis. I’m not saying Treacy will reach that level (but quite hopeful the way he’s going).

Off the top of my head in recent times, naming some of the elite key forwards of the comp here:
Cameron
Curnow
Hawkins
Mackay
Franklin
Riewoldt x 2
Lynch
Daniher
Josh kennedy
Hogan
Pavlich

Actually I’ve thought of one. Nick Larkey at pick 73 in 2016. But jeez it’s rare.
All the other current top end guys come from the top end of the draft. If you can jag a key forward with a nothing pick it’s huge for the club.
Mitch Lewis also has potential, bloke has been injured for 2 years though

Larkey was pick 73.

Amarty was a rookie.

Good KPFs off the top of my head that were taken outside the first round are:

Ben Brown, Kurt Tippett, Jake Waterman, Nick Larkey, Mitch Lewis

You’d think Treacy was projects to be the best or second best of that group.

Only asterisk is the draft was covid impacted you wonder if he wouldn’t have fallen through the cracks in a regular year

Good KPFs off the top of my head that were taken outside the first round are:

Ben Brown, Kurt Tippett, Jake Waterman, Nick Larkey, Mitch Lewis

You’d think Treacy was projects to be the best or second best of that group.

Only asterisk is the draft was covid impacted you wonder if he wouldn’t have fallen through the cracks in a regular year
I’m certain he would have gone top 30 in a normal year with no Covid issues.
Especially given the draft wasn’t particularly strong in hindsight.

Larkey is the one obvious example I reckon. He’s an absolute gun and will have a massive next 5-6 years I feel, with more AA awards on the way as North rise.

I’m not overly convinced on Mitch Lewis though he’s had his injury battles to be fair.

It’s the consistent accuracy of Treacys goal kicking that is so exciting for freo fans. He’s just a dead eye in front of the sticks. The likes of Naughton and Max King have been traumatised by inaccurate goal kicking over the years and it’s held them back so far from joining the elite key forwards of the comp.

I’m certain he would have gone top 30 in a normal year with no Covid issues.
Especially given the draft wasn’t particularly strong in hindsight.

Larkey is the one obvious example I reckon. He’s an absolute gun and will have a massive next 5-6 years I feel, with more AA awards on the way as North rise.

I’m not overly convinced on Mitch Lewis though he’s had his injury battles to be fair.

It’s the consistent accuracy of Treacys goal kicking that is so exciting for freo fans. He’s just a dead eye in front of the sticks. The likes of Naughton and Max King have been traumatised by inaccurate goal kicking over the years and it’s held them back so far from joining the elite key forwards of the comp.

Whenever he’s been fully fit I’ve actually really rated Lewis it just hasn’t happened enough and now I think the injuries have taken a toll on his mobility

Remove this Banner Ad

Back