Round one best guess for mine

Sheppard Barrass Hurn
Rotham McGovern Witherdon
Gaff Shuey Duggan
Ryan Darling Cripps
Langdon Kennedy Allen
Naitanui Kelly Redden

Cole Sheed Jones Williams

I dont know about cole. Solid B Grader who hasnt got any real standout skill. Just solid not spectactular.
Yeah thing is we don't have 22 spectacular players. Look at what Richmond have done with a heap of solid B graders and a half a dozen elite players. I can see Cole and Nelson both stepping up a level this year with added list pressure and they are hitting that age where their experience and maturity start to come to the fore.

Gday how has witherden been going?

Got plenty of the ball, was used as a distributor in windy conditions. Made 3-4 bad decisions and execution was off on another 3-4 as well. We were however getting pumped the whole time.

Is still finding his feet in regards to position in side, running patterns, team mates abilities etc.

Negatives being he's not great overhead, not great speed and not great defensively.

Need to see him with more of a full strength midfield and forward line in front of him to determine if he is definitely best 22 or borderline. Will get a better update after this weeks game.

If he gets the same amount of ball with better distribution this week he is likely a starter and could produce some good fantasy numbers however at this stage doesn't look like he is significantly ahead of cole or nelson and likely fighting for the 7th defender position in the side imo. As it stands if Duggan plays significant time in defence rather than midfield I don't have a spot for Witherden in the best 22. Others will likely significantly disagree with me but I prefer Rotham as a defender who can play tall or small and is a good kick and if Duggan plays significant minutes in defence I prefer Nelson for his aggression and ability further up the ground.

West coast have a significant history of players being traded in not playing to their best until their second / third season in our system. If Hurn has games out or rests then Witherden is in every game however.

So we can play two ruckmen I can also see how a defender loses their place in the side so Allen can play as he seems to be too good to be left out and may play some defence as well as forward this year.

Have a new series going on our website in preparation of the 2021 season. Running through all the club's lists and best 22s and the West Coast one has just dropped. Always feel like a supporters' judgement is one of the best going around so give us a follow, check it out and let us know your thoughts!

Round one best guess for mine

Sheppard Barrass Hurn
Gaff Shuey Duggan
Ryan Darling Cripps
Langdon Kennedy Allen
Naitanui Kelly Redden

Cole Sheed Jones Williams
Apologies for the intrusion. Who is missing from your best for R1 in your team, if any?

Apologies for the intrusion. Who is missing from your best for R1 in your team, if any?

Definitely Yeo (and Rioli)
Possibly Kennedy
Doubts over Waterman and Williams who are borderline best 22

From that side really only Yeo and Waterman. Then there’s a few guys on the fringes which won’t surprise to see included in Nelson, Brander, X O’Neill

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely Yeo (and Rioli)
Possibly Kennedy
Doubts over Waterman and Williams who are borderline best 22
From that side really only Yeo and Waterman. Then there’s a few guys on the fringes which won’t surprise to see included in Nelson, Brander, X O’Neill

Thanks for that.

Of course Yeo is a walk in.

Hope Waterman is back soon.

With Willie back, our round 23 team

Sheppard Barrass Hurn
Gaff Shuey Brander
Ryan Darling Cripps
Rioli Kennedy Allen

Naitanui Kelly Yeo

Sheed Williams Waterman Duggan
Whoever is in form out of Nelson/Cole to bench
Duggan to wing
Brander to WAFL

*chef's kiss*

With Willie back, our round 23 team

Sheppard Barrass Hurn
Gaff Shuey Brander
Ryan Darling Cripps
Rioli Kennedy Allen

Naitanui Kelly Yeo

Sheed Williams Waterman Duggan

Pretty bloody tasty line-up, and a lot stronger across the board in comparison to 2018 premiership team.

Cole - Shep
Schoey - Rotham
Jetta - Witho
Redden - Gaff
Masten - Brander
Lecca - Allen
Slyce - NN
Hutch - TK
Vardy - Williams
Venables - Waterman

Hard to argue that on paper & with expected development in 2021 (Rotham/Brander/Allen/Williams) that each of those replacements are not all better than their 2018 counterparts.

Pretty bloody tasty line-up, and a lot stronger across the board in comparison to 2018 premiership team.

Cole - Shep
Schoey - Rotham
Jetta - Witho
Redden - Gaff
Masten - Brander
Lecca - Allen
Slyce - NN
Hutch - TK
Vardy - Williams
Venables - Waterman

Hard to argue that on paper & with expected development in 2021 (Rotham/Brander/Allen/Williams) that each of those replacements are not all better than their 2018 counterparts.

Schoey played the best game of his career in the 2018 grand final. Whilst im probably the biggest Rotham supporter on here if he is able to perform at that level or close to it consistently he is AA.

Witho is definitely not a touch on Jetta in 2018

Brander hasn't performed to the level of Masto even if you want to class them together as both playing as defensive wingmen.

Vardy in 2018 in also highly undersold on his performance in the finals and if we get anything like his output from Williams this year then we should be considered kissed on the dick

Redden finished runner up in the 2018 best and fairest so really thats a tie at best.

Lecca if Allen can have 50+ shots on goal whilst providing 14+ disposals a game and 15 goal assists then again we should feel kissed on the dick. Best case scenario Allen matches that output this year.

Lastly unless Waterman is playing as a wing / utility it is highly unlikely that we play 4 tall forwards and two ruckmen so he shouldn't even be in the conversation.

I will however agree that either of Langdon or JJ could provide significantly more to the side than Venables did in 2018.

The others I strongly agree with.

22 for round 1 assuming Langdon joins Yeo as unavailable, Williams and Waterman don’t get up, but everyone else is available:

B: Hurn, Barrass, Cole
HB: Sheppard, McGovern, Nelson
C: Gaff, Kelly, Duggan
HF: Cripps, Darling, Jones
F: Ryan, Kennedy, Allen
R: Naitanui, Shuey, Sheed
I: Witherden, Redden, Petruccelle, Vardy
E: Hedwards, Rotham, XON, Brander

Two main selection issues:
1. Which of Nelson, Witherden or Rotham misses out in the backline (Cole has locked himself in for mine). If I was picking I’d leave out Withers as I don’t think he’s shown as much as the others, but I get the feeling the MC will be keen to get games into him. Rotham is the unlucky one, possibly a victim of the fact we’re very tall up forward.

2.Who backs up NicNat. Ideally it’d be Williams but I’ve assumed he won’t be ready. One option is to use Allen in that role, which leaves a spot open for another running player like Brander (tall but not playing tall) or possibly XON. But taking Allen in as backup ruck against Witts is a huge risk with the longer quarters, so that leaves Vardy by default with Allen playing as a roaming forward, sort of what Waterman did last year.

Langdon going down and Petch playing reasonably well has probably settled that selection issue. Jones I feel is a lock. The rest largely pick themselves.

Much rather us play Allen as second ruck if Bailey is unavailable. Really don’t like playing three talls up front + Vardy. Yuck

With limited rotation this season, fitter players who can go for longer will be picked if it comes down to it at selection. We won't be able to carry passengers. Especially if playing 2 genuine ruckman

The backline is tough I think Cole was outstanding v Freo ,Rotham was very composed and a solid wall back also Witho looks to be a good pick -up ..

Cole Barrass Hurn

Shep Gov Witho

Gaff Kelly Duggan

Sheed Allen Ryan

Cripps Darling Jones

R] Nick Redden Shuey

I] Edwards , Rotham , Nelson , XON

I prefer Edwards to Vardy as a backup and Jones ahead of Ahchee and Petch ..

I don’t reckon Kennedy gets up for Round 1, so we’ll go with something like...

Cole Barrass Sheppard
Witherden McGovern Hurn
Duggan Shuey Gaff
Jones Darling Cripps
Ryan Allen Petrucelle

Naitanui Kelly Sheed

Nelson Vardy Redden O’Neill

So missing from our B22 would be Kennedy, Yeo and Waterman....and I’d prefer to play Williams over Vardy if they feel the need for 2 rucks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2021 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back