Prediction 2021 Draft Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who aren’t quite in a position to do a full phantom draft, but who would still like to have a go at predicting the draft, please use this thread to post your predictions :)

The current draft order is available in the pinned thread, here:

In accordance with board rules, phantom drafts which do not fulfil the requirements of a full first round using the current draft order (at time of posting), and preferably with a bit of explanation and willingness to explain your decisions, may also be merged into this thread.

Following the Trade Period, the current order for the first round of the draft is:

1. North Melbourne
  2. GWS Giants
  3. Gold Coast Suns
  4. Adelaide
  5. Hawthorn
  6. Fremantle
  7. Richmond
  8. Fremantle
  9. St Kilda
  10. West Coast Eagles
  11. Essendon
  12. Port Adelaide
  13. GWS Giants
  14. Brisbane Lions
  15. Richmond
  16. Sydney Swans
  17. Melbourne
  18. Brisbane Lions

Last edited:
Applied this new-fangled formatting and spellcheck thingamajigs.

1 (Roos) JHF
2 (Hawks) Pick Swaps GWS- Hawks F Callaghan
3 (Pies) GC Bid On N Daicos Pies Match bid
4 (Dogs) GC Bid On S Darcy WB Match Bid
5 (GC Suns) J Gibcus
6 (Crows) J Rachele
7 (GWS) M Andrew
8 (Dockers) N Erasmus
9 (Tigers) J Ward
10 (Dockers) J Amiss
11 (Saints) Nas Wanganeen-Milera
12 (WC) M Johnson
13 (Ess) J Goater
14 (PA) A Draper
15 (GWS) J Sinn
16 (Lions) B Hobbs
17 (Tigers) T Sonsie
18 (Swans) J Van Rooyen
19 (Dees) C Chesser
20 (Lions) S Butler

21 (Dockers) J Motlop

22 (Roos) D Wilmot
23 (GWS) Bid Matched From Cats J Fahey
24 (Cats) T Browne
25 (Ess) Pick Swap For FP J Williams
26 (Hawks) R Bazzo
27 (Blues) Z Taylor
28 (Tigers) M Roberts
29 (Tigers) L Alleer
30 (Tigers) B Howes
31 (WC) T Conway
32 (Cats) M Knevitt
33 (Saints) Swans Bid Saints Matched M Owens
34 (Swans) J Clarke
35 (Cats) S Banks
36 (Crows) C Murley
37 (Cats) C Dean
38 (WC) A Sheldrick
39 (Pies) C McDonald
40 (Saints) Dees Bid Saints Matched M Windhanger
41 (Dees) N Long

And That's A Wrap😎
If the Roos, have to choose from Wilmot, Brown Bazzo and Taylor at 22 I would be happy all fit a need.

Andrew and Gibcus are the two interesting ones. I think GC take one of them at 5 and then the other could slide out of the top ten.

I'm hoping the Saints take a mid but I have a feeling if he makes it that far we'd probably grab Gibcus.

1. North Melbourne - Horne-Francis
2. Collingwoos - Daicos
3. Western Bulldogs - Darcy
4. GWS Giants - Callaghan
5. Gold Coast Suns - Andrew
6. Adelaide - Rachele
7. Hawthorn - Ward
8. Fremantle - Erasmus
9. Richmond - Hobbs
10. Fremantle - Amiss
11. St Kilda - Gibcus
12. West Coast Eagles - Johnson
13. Essendon - Sinn
14. Port Adelaide - Wanganeen-Milera
15. GWS Giants - Goater
16. Brisbane Lions - Sonsie
17. Richmond - Chesser
18. Sydney Swans - Draper
19. Melbourne - Butler
20. Brisbane Lions - Wilmot

Andrew and Gibcus are the two interesting ones. I think GC take one of them at 5 and then the other could slide out of the top ten.

I'm hoping the Saints take a mid but I have a feeling if he makes it that far we'd probably grab Gibcus.

2. Collingwoos - Daicos
5. Gold Coast Suns - Andrew
6. Adelaide - Rachele
7. Hawthorn - Ward
8. Fremantle - Erasmus
9. Richmond - Hobbs
10. Fremantle - Amiss
11. St Kilda - Gibcus
12. West Coast Eagles - Johnson
13. Essendon - Sinn
14. Port Adelaide - Wanganeen-Milera
15. GWS Giants - Goater
17. Richmond - Chesser
18. Sydney Swans - Draper
19. Melbourne - Butler
Depends on which one they pick. I don't see Richmond passing on Andrew

Top 5 seems to be taking shape, jhf,Callaghan, gibcus,rachele and Andrew. I Still think gws moves spots with gc. Not including f/s selections ill go with

1. North Jhf
2. Gc Callaghan
3. Gws Andrew
4. Adelaide rachele
5. Hawks gibcus probably not a need atm but best available
6. Freo Ward
7. Richmond Johnson
8. Freo Erasmus
9. Saints NWM
10. Eagles Sinn

If gws keeps picks 2

1. North jhf
2. Gws Callaghan
3. Gc Gibcus
4. Adelaide Rachele
5. Hawks Andrew

Top 5 seems to be taking shape, jhf,Callaghan, gibcus,rachele and Andrew. I Still think gws moves spots with gc. Not including f/s selections ill go with

1. North Jhf
2. Gc Callaghan
3. Gws Andrew
4. Adelaide rachele
6. Freo Ward
7. Richmond Johnson
8. Freo Erasmus
9. Saints NWM
10. Eagles Sinn

If gws keeps picks 2

1. North jhf
2. Gws Callaghan
3. Gc Gibcus
4. Adelaide Rachele
5. Hawks Andrew
just my top 5.. I think it will end up like this

1. North JHF
2. Hawthorn - Callaghan
3. GC Gibcus
4. Crows Rachele
5. GWS Andrew

I have this feeling the hawks will make a stupid offer to GWS on draft night that they just could not refuse to get Callaghan. Even if GWS didn't do that, GC imo are alock to take Gibcus if he is on the board Callaghan being available or not. One of our most reliable ITK's is very very strong the crows will take Rachele and won't look to trade down as they think he won't be there if they do and they really want him. GWS then get Andrew at 5 who all along they have been keen on and probably bank a 2022 1st rounder that may end up being a top 5 pick from the hawks

1. North JHF
2. Hawthorn - Callaghan
3. GC Gibcus
4. Crows Rachele
5. GWS Andrew

I have this feeling the hawks will make a stupid offer to GWS on draft night that they just could not refuse to get Callaghan. Even if GWS didn't do that, GC imo are alock to take Gibcus if he is on the board Callaghan being available or not. One of our most reliable ITK's is very very strong the crows will take Rachele and won't look to trade down as they think he won't be there if they do and they really want him. GWS then get Andrew at 5 who all along they have been keen on and probably bank a 2022 1st rounder that may end up being a top 5 pick from the hawks
Giants turning 2 second rounders into Pick 5 and Hawks F1 .... where do we sign

1. North JHF
2. Hawthorn - Callaghan
3. GC Gibcus
4. Crows Rachele
5. GWS Andrew

Yeh I think there is also a chance it happens, I have no doubt Callaghan would be first on our draft board outside horne. I guess it depends what comes back hawks way , 2 1sts for 2+ future 2nd is bold but borderline insanity or will it be 2 for 5 and a swap of 1sts next year. Both good deals for gws but the latter most hawks supporters would feel more comfortable with .

1. North Jhf
2. Gc Callaghan
3. Gws Andrew
4. Adelaide rachele
6. Freo Ward
7. Richmond Johnson
8. Freo Erasmus
9. Saints NWM
10. Eagles Sinn

If gws keeps picks 2

1. North jhf
2. Gws Callaghan
3. Gc Gibcus
4. Adelaide Rachele
5. Hawks Andrew
Can't see Hawthorn going two years in a row taking a key defender in the top 10

Especially with a couple of good mids available

Yeh I think there is also a chance it happens, I have no doubt Callaghan would be first on our draft board outside horne. I guess it depends what comes back hawks way , 2 1sts for 2+ future 2nd is bold but borderline insanity or will it be 2 for 5 and a swap of 1sts next year. Both good deals for gws but the latter most hawks supporters would feel more comfortable with .
Apparently the crows had tried to move up to pick 2 in the early stage of this long drawn out wait till draft night and I can only guess it might have looked similar - ie swap pick 2 for 4 and a swap of 2022 1sts. Now if so and it was rejected, the hawks would need to come up with something bigger as the crows offer of that deal would trump the hawks (ie pick 4 being slightly better than pick 5 and both clubs being a case for a top 5 pick next year).

But it might take something really silly to get them to flex and do a deal and it may be that 2 x 1sts for pick 2 is the rate ..but that is really spitballing. But come draft night I would not be surprised to see Callaghan in a hawks jumper

1. North Melbourne -JHF
  2. Collingwood - Daicos
  5. Gold Coast Suns - Andrews
  6. Adelaide - Rachele
  7. Hawthorn - Ward
  8. Fremantle - Eramus
  9. Richmond - Hobbs
  10. Fremantle - Johnson
  11. St Kilda - Sinn
  12. West Coast Eagles - NWM
  13. Essendon - Amiss
  14. Port Adelaide - Goater
  15. GWS Giants - Gibcus
  17. Richmond - JVR
  18. Sydney Swans - Owens
  19. Melbourne - Chesser
Bloody hard all in all.

Apparently the crows had tried to move up to pick 2 in the early stage of this long drawn out wait till draft night and I can only guess it might have looked similar - ie swap pick 2 for 4 and a swap of 2022 1sts. Now if so and it was rejected, the hawks would need to come up with something bigger as the crows offer of that deal would trump the hawks (ie pick 4 being slightly better than pick 5 and both clubs being a case for a top 5 pick next year).

But it might take something really silly to get them to flex and do a deal and it may be that 2 x 1sts for pick 2 is the rate ..but that is really spitballing. But come draft night I would not be surprised to see Callaghan in a hawks jumper

Yeh you're not wrong about the wait. It's going to be Interesting to see how it plays out, if we do go for the crazy trade to get Callaghan the club obviously see's him as that potential top 10 afl mid and expects the team to go better then most expect next year. I'm not completely against it but I'd say alot of supporters won't be happy and then comes the expectation and pressure on the kid to deliver.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh you're not wrong about the wait. It's going to be Interesting to see how it plays out, if we do go for the crazy trade to get Callaghan the club obviously see's him as that potential top 10 afl mid and expects the team to go better then most expect next year. I'm not completely against it but I'd say alot of supporters won't be happy and then comes the expectation and pressure on the kid to deliver.
We wont do that deal.

1. North JHF
2. Hawthorn - Callaghan
3. GC Gibcus
4. Crows Rachele
5. GWS Andrew

If this is the case then the Hawks would be crazy to do that trade as by the sound of it Callaghan will be there at 5 (7) anyway.

With nothing but gut feel, I'll have a go at this:
  2. Collingwood - Daicos
  3. Bulldogs - Darcy
  4. GWS Giants - Andrew
  5. Gold Coast - Gibcus
  6. Adelaide - Callaghan
  7. Hawthorn - Erasmus
  8. Fremantle - Ward
  9. Richmond - Hobbs
  10. Fremantle - Amiss
  11. St Kilda - Rachele
  12. West Coast - NWM
  13. Essendon - Draper
  14. Port - Goater
  15. GWS - Van Rooyen
  16. Brisbane Lions - Sinn
  17. Richmond - Bazzo
  18. Sydney - Sonsie
  19. Melbourne - Johnson
  20. Brisbane Lions - Chesser

2. Collingwood - Daicos
  3. Bulldogs - Darcy
  4. GWS Giants - Andrew
  5. Gold Coast - Gibcus
  6. Adelaide - Callaghan
  7. Hawthorn - Erasmus
  8. Fremantle - Ward
  9. Richmond - Hobbs
  10. Fremantle - Amiss
  11. St Kilda - Rachele
  12. West Coast - NWM
  13. Essendon - Draper
  14. Port - Goater
  15. GWS - Van Rooyen
  17. Richmond - Bazzo
  18. Sydney - Sonsie
  19. Melbourne - Johnson

Bold of you to assume we'll pass on MJ, or that he'll fall to 19.

2. Collingwood - Daicos
  3. Bulldogs - Darcy
  4. GWS Giants - Andrew
  5. Gold Coast - Gibcus
  6. Adelaide - Callaghan
  7. Hawthorn - Erasmus
  8. Fremantle - Ward
  9. Richmond - Hobbs
  10. Fremantle - Amiss
  11. St Kilda - Rachele
  12. West Coast - NWM
  13. Essendon - Draper
  14. Port - Goater
  15. GWS - Van Rooyen
  17. Richmond - Bazzo
  18. Sydney - Sonsie
  19. Melbourne - Johnson
Love the picks for us Patty, if it goes that way on the night I wonder if we take Wilmot over Chesser.

Bold of you to assume we'll pass on MJ, or that he'll fall to 19.

He just reminds me a little of Dev Robertson, hence why I could see him sliding. Feels like he could be #10-12 on many boards, but that some clubs will still have their picks around 7-10 available late into the teens.

Again though, off absolutely no expertise.

Love the picks for us Patty, if it goes that way on the night I wonder if we take Wilmot over Chesser.

It's a tough one I guess. I feel like Chesser has a little more versatility, and that (alongside his well-touted leadership abilities) might make us lean towards him. Could see it going either way though.

Have seen a number of phantoms linking us with Sonsie as well. Would be over the moon with that. I think he's a very good chance to look like a steal a few years down the track.

2. Collingwood - Daicos
  3. Bulldogs - Darcy
  4. GWS Giants - Andrew
  5. Gold Coast - Gibcus
  6. Adelaide - Callaghan
  7. Hawthorn - Erasmus
  8. Fremantle - Ward
  9. Richmond - Hobbs
  10. Fremantle - Amiss
  11. St Kilda - Rachele
  12. West Coast - NWM
  13. Essendon - Draper
  14. Port - Goater
  15. GWS - Van Rooyen
  17. Richmond - Bazzo
  18. Sydney - Sonsie
  19. Melbourne - Johnson
Bold of you to assume we'll pass on MJ or that he will fall to 19.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2021 Draft Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back