Position 2021 Fantasy Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

My defence appears to be settled somewhat for this time of year, other lines not so much.

Laird, Doch/Witherden, Williams, Milera, H.Young, L.Jones (Gould, Wehr)

Just not decided on Doch v Witherden, throw McDonald into that mix as well.
If Jones isn't round 1 ready, hopefully DGB or Cox are.
What about Duggan over Witherden? I think there is a permanent inside mid spot for him. Even when Yeo comes back. Recruited as a mid. Tackles well. Reads the play well. Did well in the midfield at end of last year with no preparation and training restrictions.

My defence appears to be settled somewhat for this time of year, other lines not so much.

Laird, Doch/Witherden, Williams, Milera, H.Young, L.Jones (Gould, Wehr)

Just not decided on Doch v Witherden, throw McDonald into that mix as well.
If Jones isn't round 1 ready, hopefully DGB or Cox are.
Similar to mine. Laird, Witherden, Williams, Milera, Cumming, Young (Gould, Wehr)

Duggan will play midfield this year. Could be a very unique pick that pays off

As a west coast supporter would you take him ahead of Witherden? I can make a case for both but I just feel Witho could explode this year. Looks perfectly suited to that style you play for patches of games where Hurn kicks it to Witho who kicks it sideways to Sheppard who goes back to Witho who goes back to Hurn who then goes back to Witho.
Might only be about 25 metres gained but suddenly Witherden has gained 18 points in about 30 seconds. Lloyd-esque.

Clearly I’ve been thinking too much about this :drunk:

As a west coast supporter would you take him ahead of Witherden? I can make a case for both but I just feel Witho could explode this year. Looks perfectly suited to that style you play for patches of games where Hurn kicks it to Witho who kicks it sideways to Sheppard who goes back to Witho who goes back to Hurn who then goes back to Witho.
Might only be about 25 metres gained but suddenly Witherden has gained 18 points in about 30 seconds. Lloyd-esque.

I’ve currently got Witho. Duggan played midfield the back end of last year and averaged around 89 adjusted (I think - did the calculations a while back now). So he’s certainly got upside. But Witho has upside and comes in discounted. Think he will suit our game style to a tee and also think he slots in easily enough considering Duggan moves up field permanently and Nelson is currently coming back from a hamstring

What about Duggan over Witherden? I think there is a permanent inside mid spot for him. Even when Yeo comes back. Recruited as a mid. Tackles well. Reads the play well. Did well in the midfield at end of last year with no preparation and training restrictions.
C: Gaff - Kelly - Redden
R: Naitanui - Shuey - Sheed
INT: Yeo (eventually), Duggan

I think we are a little too stacked in the middle to be giving significant midfield minutes to Duggan. Obviously if injuries strike, then he'll get solid midfield minutes and should score well.
Either way, I think I am sold on Docherty at D2.

C: Gaff - Kelly - Redden
R: Naitanui - Shuey - Sheed
INT: Yeo (eventually), Duggan

I think we are a little too stacked in the middle to be giving significant midfield minutes to Duggan. Obviously if injuries strike, then he'll get solid midfield minutes and should score well.
Either way, I think I am sold on Docherty at D2.
My only concern with Docherty is that Carlton have said they want to move the ball quicker, so maybe not as much chipping it around the backline. Otherwise he’s great value for a guy that could push 100 again

My only concern with Docherty is that Carlton have said they want to move the ball quicker, so maybe not as much chipping it around the backline. Otherwise he’s great value for a guy that could push 100 again
I do a mini valuation of all players on my watchlist, and what I see as their best and worst case scenarios.
I think that Docherty is priced below or just on his worst case scenario average wise (88). His best case scenario in my mind is around 104, when you consider his ability (120+) but then also consider a changing game style and the addition of Saad/Newman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do a mini valuation of all players on my watchlist, and what I see as their best and worst case scenarios.
I think that Docherty is priced below or just on his worst case scenario average wise (88). His best case scenario in my mind is around 104, when you consider his ability (120+) but then also consider a changing game style and the addition of Saad/Newman.
Well without injury Doc went at 93 so maybe that’s worst case?

With Lloyd over priced, Whitfield injured and Laird locked into most sides, which other premium defenders do you fully trust anyway? Docherty probably as good as that next bunch of Crisp, Stewart, Mills etc

If I had to choose between the two Eagles, it's Witherden over Duggan for mine. If things go right, they'll be looking to give Witho the ball at every opportunity. He's the Jetta replacement for playmaking kicks to set up the inside 50s.

Would love to see Duggo have a breakout year as a mid but he's just never been a big accumulator. One of those guys whose game doesn't seem to translate as well to fantasy scoring. Happy to be proven wrong.

That said, I'm currently thinking of downgrading Witho to Cumming and Cunnington to Sier, in order to get Preuss up to Grundy (to pair with ROB). Probably a safer bet for 260 points between the three, with a higher ceiling. Plus it wouldn't hurt to get a sighter to see how Witho gels at the Eagles.

If I had to choose between the two Eagles, it's Witherden over Duggan for mine. If things go right, they'll be looking to give Witho the ball at every opportunity. He's the Jetta replacement for playmaking kicks to set up the inside 50s.

Would love to see Duggo have a breakout year as a mid but he's just never been a big accumulator. One of those guys whose game doesn'ta seem to translate as well to fantasy scoring. Happy to be proven wrong.

That said, I'm currently thinking of downgrading Witho to Cumming and Cunnington to Sier, in order to get Preuss up to Grundy (to pair with ROB). Probably a safer bet for 260 points between the three, with a higher ceiling. Plus it wouldn't hurt to get a sighter to see how Witho gels at the Eagles.
I agree somewhat with this. More a SuperCoach selection I think. No doubt he will average decently but probably doesn’t have the upside of someone like a Witho / Williams / Docherty at that price point

Would love to see Duggo have a breakout year as a mid but he's just never been a big accumulator. One of those guys whose game doesn't seem to translate as well to fantasy scoring. Happy to be proven wrong.

I agree somewhat with this. More a SuperCoach selection I think. No doubt he will average decently but probably doesn’t have the upside of someone like a Witho / Williams / Docherty at that price point

Excellent insight all round, cheers :thumbsu:

Would Williams at D2 be too light on?

Laird, Williams, Harmes, Milera, Young, Gould

Feel like if I go ROB at R2 I need to be light on somewhere

You stole my backline :eek: Except I've got Lloyd at D1. Which could possibly change. I don't think he's overpriced, but he is fully priced

Remove this Banner Ad

Position 2021 Fantasy Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back