List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone on the draft board posted that Gold Coast will take Johnson with their first selection.
From what the Age are reporting, we’ll have taken him already!

I’m not saying choose Moyle over Callow. Just that Moyle at pick 3 is not a bad outcome at all
No, but he’ll be gone by #2 now and the question is how well we use #3 on someone else.

including interviewing Norwood key forward Jackson Callow, who has a number of suitors before Essendon’s No. 10 pick.

Geelong and Collingwood are also weighing up their options a day out from the mid-season draft.

The Magpies were set to make two picks in the mid-season draft and may take three players, depending on whether they send Tyler Brown in for season-ending shoulder surgery.

They see this week’s draft as an opportunity to make up for the shortfall in the November edition, where they will match a bid for father-son prospect and likely No. 1 pick Nick Daicos.

The draft points required to secure Daicos will likely leave Collingwood with only back-end selections after that as the club tries to resurrect its fortunes.

Callow getting more suitors, we need to swoop.

Ok, Lynch shades him on stars this year.

Don’t know how a person can think Lynch after 5 years in the system has more AFL ruck potential than young Moyle... who has a trajectory of development and improvement that is 10 times more rapid.

Given the two. I know who I’d be choosing to have on the list going forward

Sooner or later Lynch will end up in the state leagues like AFL exiled rucks so often do. If he continues to develop and has some luck he might get another go at AFL level.

How many more years should we wait for him to be if AFL standard? At least Gault played 8 games in 5 years.

I’m not saying choose Moyle over Callow. Just that Moyle at pick 3 is not a bad outcome at all

I think Lynchy would be okay at senior level. Will he ever get that opportunity at Collingwood? I don't know. Will Moyle be the better ruckman longer term? I don't know. Should we use a MSD pick to select a ruckman when we already have good ruck depth? Pass from me.

Last edited:
Should we temper our expectations about the MSD? These guys have mostly been overlooked before. We might do OK with the first pick, but a second and even a third - very unlikely to be much at this depth.

As others have noted, Callow is not ‘plug and play’, and it could be a while before we see him in the seniors. It’s most likely about development for him, not an immediate contribution.

Noble was unusual, and is one of three or four players from the 2019 MSD still on a list. And he was our only pick, not a second or third.
Yep MSD is a couple of rungs down from the ND, hope is one thing but expectations are another.

Pick 3: Collingwood
The Pies have young key defenders and running backs but require midfielders and key forwards as well as a small forward. Heath is ideal and the Magpies would seriously be looking at Tyson Stengle. Heath won’t last until their second selection, so they will have to take him here and develop him into a key forward/second ruck role. So I’m suggesting Heath is the ideal choice. They might think with Stengle’s indiscretions over the past two years, he might get through to their second selection. Knowing recruiter Derek Hine, he will have a smokey in mind if they decide to not take Stengle or he is already gone.

Pick 3: Collingwood
The Pies have young key defenders and running backs but require midfielders and key forwards as well as a small forward. Heath is ideal and the Magpies would seriously be looking at Tyson Stengle. Heath won’t last until their second selection, so they will have to take him here and develop him into a key forward/second ruck role. So I’m suggesting Heath is the ideal choice. They might think with Stengle’s indiscretions over the past two years, he might get through to their second selection. Knowing recruiter Derek Hine, he will have a smokey in mind if they decide to not take Stengle or he is already gone.

Author: Matt Rendell lol

That's all you need to know.

Yep MSD is a couple of rungs down from the ND, hope is one thing but expectations are another.
Yeah I agree but also this year is not like other years. You see guys like Edwards and Callow who probably get drafted under normal circumstances last year. Now I get that Callow played in the TSL last year but without the National Champs and Nab league footy last year he was left in a weak comp that is not rated by recruiters

Given not long ago it was reported we were set to use pick 3 on Stengle, I dont think anyone could know which pick we'll use on which player.

We have to cross our fingers and hope they get the selections right.

Pray they select Callow first.

Johnston didn't even play on the weekend. Not injured.
Thought I’d heard on SEN last night that we are iff stengle- or Strngle was off to Collingwood.

Thought I’d heard on SEN last night that we are iff stengle- or Strngle was off to Collingwood.
Yeah, its mentioned in the HS too this morning. Maybe when we heard we had a 2nd interview with him, that was not a good thing as we initially assumed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn’t put anything past North. They were crying for a key forward yet passed on Logan MacDonald for yet another midfielder who is in and out of the team.

Fingers crossed....

To be fair both Powell and Phillips are going to be guns (Phillips just taking a bit longer to find his feet) and Lazzaro will also be a handy player from the looks of things.

Hopefully brown off for surgery and we take 3 picks

Callow at 3 otherwise gone.
Johnson possibly still there at our second pick and Richmond probably take freeman, Stengle should be there for our third.

Be nice to get all 3, should at least get 2.

Then theres the usual hine smoky:think:
Hopefully wright is calling the shots not hine

We should have let him go to Brisbane, out of respect for him.

A bit revisionist that is - he went about as far down the path as you can go with another club without actually signing for them and chose to stay with us for what was most likely a bit less money. As a club we weren't quite at the stage where we were considering chucking out three best 22 players for the net equivalent of pick 65 in DVI points back then either.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back