List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Has AJ been named for Sturt tomorrow given no vfl for next month?

No he’s a Collingwood player now. Could you imagine how ****ing stupid we’d look if he got injured playing for Sturt 3 days after we drafted him?!

No need to get uptight.

You just keep going on about Callow and how it was a 'golden opportunity' that the club stuffed up on. So, you thought he was a better prospect than Johnson. Your conviction is strong, so I naturally thought you must have watched his games . Obviously you haven't. I bet you had no idea (like most of us) who Johnson was a week prior to the draft.

There's no issue about having an opinion. But you seem to be extremely upset. Me, on the surface I thought Callow may be worth a look. But thought must be a reason why clubs let him pass. Collingwood included.
You’re reading in to it way too much. I’m frustrated because our club yet again refused to draft an actual key forward when presented with the opportunity to do so. Instead we got a tweener and a forward/ruck. They’ve learned nothing from the last few years and we’re still lacking a genuine tall forward target and will be for the foreseeable future now.

You’re reading in to it way too much. I’m frustrated because our club yet again refused to draft an actual key forward when presented with the opportunity to do so. Instead we got a tweener and a forward/ruck. They’ve learned nothing from the last few years and we’re still lacking a genuine tall forward target and will be for the foreseeable future now.

Yep, we did get a tweener and a forward/ruck, and do still lack a genuine tall forward target, probably for the next 3 years at least.

But if we'd have drafted Callow we still probably wouldn't have a genuine tall forward target, as he isn't any good. Not many genuine tall forward targets get taken late in a mid season draft or equivalent.

I still think it would be foolhardy to let him play for sturt this week as he has just had an ankle injury anyway, could you imagine the outcry if he got injured playing for them I could, besides which going by our recent injury profiles we have more than enough ways to injure our own players unfortunately.

Yep, we did get a tweener and a forward/ruck, and do still lack a genuine tall forward target, probably for the next 3 years at least.

But if we'd have drafted Callow we still probably wouldn't have a genuine tall forward target, as he isn't any good. Not many genuine tall forward targets get taken late in a mid season draft or equivalent.
Making finite statements like ‘he isn’t any good’ is idiocy. Plenty of players have been overlooked or taken late and turned in to great players. Callow’s performances this year have eclipsed 90% of his peers playing the same position, so he’s clearly overlooked because of a perceived weakness or low ceiling, but those are perceptions and not facts. How many drafts was Checkers overlooked for? 8 years?

I still think it would be foolhardy to let him play for sturt this week as he has just had an ankle injury anyway, could you imagine the outcry if he got injured playing for them I could, besides which going by our recent injury profiles we have more than enough ways to injure our own players unfortunately.
Good thing Sturt isn't playing this week then. Must have a bye.

Making finite statements like ‘he isn’t any good’ is idiocy. Plenty of players have been overlooked or taken late and turned in to great players. Callow’s performances this year have eclipsed 90% of his peers playing the same position, so he’s clearly overlooked because of a perceived weakness or low ceiling, but those are perceptions and not facts. How many drafts was Checkers overlooked for? 8 years?
That’s true but let’s not kid ourselves. Checkers found himself playing in the forward line out of necessity and was a revelation. He wasn’t recruited as a forward. Would he have been as effective playing as a relatively undersized key backman? I don’t know.

I haven’t watched Callow closely but if you look at his game numbers in isolation, he looks to have played 2 good games (his best against the worst team in the comp) and 6 very games. To say his performances have eclipsed 90% of his peers is a stretch. Because in 6 of those games (75%) I very much doubt it.

That’s true but let’s not kid ourselves. Checkers found himself playing in the forward line out of necessity and was a revelation. He wasn’t recruited as a forward. Would he have been as effective playing as a relatively undersized key backman? I don’t know.

I haven’t watched Callow closely but if you look at his game numbers in isolation, he looks to have played 2 good games (his best against the worst team in the comp) and 6 very games. To say his performances have eclipsed 90% of his peers is a stretch. Because in 6 of those games (75%) I very much doubt it.
His size would be less of an issue down back then up forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no point arguing about this - let's revisit in 12 months time.

All I know is that every single professional recruiter decided they didn't want him to play for their club in either the ND last year, or the MSD this year. That doesn't usually happen to players who become solid key forwards. Hawthorn took him after they chose to take someone else in the first mid season round (a draft that last year only really yielded two players who were useful).

But yeah, Mihocek did it, so that means that any key forward taken late will become a solid contributor like Mihocek. And Dane Swan was taken at pick 58, so that means every pick 58 should be come a gun too.

Guess you can't get injured when you're already injured.

I’m sure Collingwood could find a way to make it happen!

Which part of keeping him in prime physical playing condition don't you understand?

The part that suggests he play for Sturt lol. Which part of why risk it did you not understand?

Johnson is 23 yo and as ready to go as anyone.............. what is he talking about.
Johnson is fine but the Begg selection on the other hand... technically speaking... he has a point.

this is what the AFL say the midseason draft is for:

"Why is the Mid-Season Rookie Draft being introduced?
It's an effort to limit the impact of long-term injuries and premature retirements at AFL clubs.

Holding the draft midway through the season gives clubs the opportunity to replenish their lists for the back half of the campaign."

I'm not sure drafting a guy with a long term injury that will prevent him from playing for the next 12 months is what the AFL had in mind there. Begg was allowed to be in the draft by the AFL so they can hardly turn around and say we somehow have taken unfair advantage by selecting him... they need to tighten up the eligibility rules if they think it's an issue.

There's no point arguing about this - let's revisit in 12 months time.

All I know is that every single professional recruiter decided they didn't want him to play for their club in either the ND last year, or the MSD this year. That doesn't usually happen to players who become solid key forwards. Hawthorn took him after they chose to take someone else in the first mid season round (a draft that last year only really yielded two players who were useful).

But yeah, Mihocek did it, so that means that any key forward taken late will become a solid contributor like Mihocek. And Dane Swan was taken at pick 58, so that means every pick 58 should be come a gun too.
No, it doesn’t mean that at all. Don’t twist my words. There’s a stark difference between not writing a player off instantly based on their draft position and assuming they’re going to be a gun. It’s astonishing people here aren’t able to differentiate between the two.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2021 Mid-Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back