2021 Non-Crows AFL Discussion Part 1: we can have lots of fun!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree.
I spent a good part of my early years on BigFooty arguing this.

But like Chinese made MG, they have since absorbed the original club and have the right to that history now. Turning the SANFL club into the Power Reserves.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It wasn't a merger it was an acquisition.

They aquired and looted the Port Magpies for anything that was of value to them, including appropriating their history for marketing purpose.

But they still are not in any way the Port Magpies.

Shame every other state had joined already?
There are only three Australian rules playing states.
Without SA, they had no national competition.
SA was against joining an expanded VFL competition.
You stabbed SA in the back and now look where we are today.
Isnt it fun being screwed over by the VFL.
Bastards! I will never forgive or forget how you screwed over football in this state.

Never forget

full
Priceless

They don't. The Port Power have crafted an identity as the underdogs, the battlers.

Kochie doesn't actually give a sh*t about the prison bars, he just knows it's a battle he's destined to lose in the long term which is perfect for him.

Every year he can trot it out to show he's "fighting the man" and reinforce their branding niche.
Agree with this.

And the AFL/Eddie feeding into it.

I posted yesterday this is theatre. Still partially think Port will win the right to wear it next Thursday.

David wins....

It wasn't a merger it was an acquisition.

They aquired and looted the Port Magpies for anything that was of value to them, including appropriating their history for marketing purpose.

But they still are not in any way the Port Magpies.
Correct. Don't disagree at all.

History/Heritage is just PR to them.

Where was the push to have Daisy Borlase's son recognised as a FS for them?

Jono Brown's old man barely plays 50 games for Fitzroy and goes to Brisbane as a FS.

Whilst you are correct about Port pushing/crying to get more.

Why do the AFL allow Eddie to dictate what another club gets to wear in a game Collingwood are not involved in?

Few people seem to have an issue with this? A far bigger issue than Port's carry on.

What other deals does Eddie have with the AFL and his production company Jam TV?

Collingwood's issue (note Collingwood, not Eddie) is not just about one jumper in one (or two) games. Their biggest issue is that Port are trying to establish themselves as the black and white team. They have effectively white-washed Teal from their club (teal-washed?)

Look at their crowd. It is all black and white.

Collingwood are the black and white team in the AFL. There is value in that and they have a right to protect it.

4 points will be deducted from their total whether they win or lose. It doesn't assume that they'll win.
I'm calling bullshit on the 4 point deduction. Someone posted the penalties for this from AFL house previously and it was all financial penalties. I think Koch is making up a 4-point deduction so he can rule it out. I haven't seen the AFL or anywhere else confirm thats the case, but I have seen a AFL rule about the financial penalty with no comment on a points penalty.

Lol 😂
Just on the point of the prison bars, correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure I remember Eddie saying last year that Port asked them for permission to wear it for the 150 year celebration and Eddie offered them the chance to delay it by 12 months because of COVID, but Port were firm that they wanted to wear it in 2020 despite there being no fans at the game.

Yet now they're trying to argue that part of the reason why they should be able to wear it this year was because when they wore in 2020 there was no crowd.

As others have pointed out they're the kings of revising/altering history on the fly to suit their argument.
They do it with everything
Same seems to be happening with this redevelopment- have they checked with all the residents etc There seems to be ..
Nup
They’d rather ask forgiveness than permission if it means they get their own way
And they could never ever wear prison bars, bom bom bom bom bom
...for a thousand years ....

Why do the AFL allow Eddie to dictate what another club gets to wear in a game Collingwood are not involved in?

Few people seem to have an issue with this? A far bigger issue than Port's carry on.

What other deals does Eddie have with the AFL and his production company Jam TV?

When the club in question is using his teams branding I don’t blame him one bit

The Collingwood Football Club believe that the black and white stripes are their intellectual property in the AFL

The legal argument is not about whether other teams around the world wear similar designs, but whether Collingwood have a legitimate IP claim and whether Port using black and white stripes infringes on their IP.

It would be a very interesting court case, but I suspect that Collingwood will win.

There's clear evidence that Collingwood use the black and white stripes on their logo and other merchandise so from a commercial stand point it's definitely a very strong argument that it's their IP.

The Collingwood Football Club believe that the black and white stripes are their intellectual property in the AFL

The legal argument is not about whether other teams around the world wear similar designs, but whether Collingwood have a legitimate IP claim.

It would be a very interesting court case, but I suspect that Collingwood will win.

There's clear evidence that Collingwood use the black and white stripes on their logo and other merchandise so from a commercial stand point it's definitely a very strong argument that it's their IP.
The bravado in which Eddie talked about taking it to court, suggests to me they have already sought legal council on the matter and probably been advised that they would win.

Similarly Im sure our degenerate neighbours with their free legal aid have been told similarly that they would lose any court challenge.

Hence why it probably will never go to court.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood's issue (note Collingwood, not Eddie) is not just about one jumper in one (or two) games. Their biggest issue is that Port are trying to establish themselves as the black and white team. They have effectively white-washed Teal from their club (teal-washed?)

Look at their crowd. It is all black and white.

Collingwood are the black and white team in the AFL. There is value in that and they have a right to protect it.
Yep a valid point.

The legal argument is not about whether other teams around the world wear similar designs, but whether Collingwood have a legitimate IP claim and whether Port using black and white stripes infringes on their IP.

Who sues who?

AFL control all IP.
They own it all.

How can Port sue the AFL, when the AFL effectively owns Port.

Collingwood's branding/imagery is all owned by the AFL as well. Albeit Collingwood are not AFL owned, member ran

It is like one MacDonald's franchise owned store suing an independently owned McDonald's store for using the MacDonalds branding.

The bravado in which Eddie talked about taking it to court, suggests to me they have already sought legal council on the matter and probably been advised that they would win.

Similarly Im sure our degenerate neighbours with their free legal aid have been told similarly that they would lose any court challenge.

Hence why it probably will never go to court.

It would be like opening a hamburger shop and using a giant yellow M as the branding.

It seems pretty cut and dried to me legally.

I suspect you're right that both sides know where they stand legally and that's why Port will never take it to court.

It would be like opening a hamburger shop and using a giant yellow M as the branding.

I suspect you're right that both sides know where they stand legally and that's why Port will never take it to court.
1e4b4404858161cb8fab9e4621cb8487.jpg

Incidentally, a man called McDonald did try to open a store using his surname.

You do know that it's not a real place and was a joke from Coming To America don't you?
Yes.

It is a closed shop though. I can't see how Port, owned by the AFL can sue Collingwood (or vice versa) for stealing branding, when all the branding is owned by the AFL.

Between the three there is no case. AFL is a franchise system.

Yes.

It is a closed shop though. I can't see how Port, owned by the AFL can sue Collingwood (or vice versa) for stealing branding, when all the branding is owned by the AFL.

Between the three there is no case. AFL is a franchise system.

It's not a matter of "suing"

i only have a limited legal knowledge, but from what I am aware the only way that the matter can reach court is if the AFL makes a decision and then Port or Collingwood take that decision to the Supreme Court.

Hypothetically if the AFL made a decision along the lines of Port not being allowed to wear black and white stripes, then Port could appeal that decision via the Supreme Court and then it will become a case about Collingwood's IP and whether Port (by using black and white stripes) would be infringing upon it.

Just the same as if the AFL were to tell Port that they could use it, Collingwood would then have the right to challenge that decision in the Court.

The legal argument is between the CFC and the PAFC

It's not a matter of "suing"

i only have a limited legal knowledge, but from what I am aware the only way that the matter can reach court is if the AFL makes a decision and then Port or Collingwood take that decision to the Supreme Court.

Hypothetically if the AFL made a decision along the lines of Port not being allowed to wear black and white stripes, then Port could appeal that decision via the Supreme Court and then it will become a case about Collingwood's IP and whether Port (by using black and white stripes) would be infringing upon it.

Just the same as if the AFL were to tell Port that they could use it, Collingwood would then have the right to challenge that decision in the Court.

The legal argument is between the CFC and the PAFC
But neither PAFC or CFC own that IP.

AFL do.

AFL also own Port.

Remember it is one franchise system. Not 18 individual clubs playing in a league that is its own entity. Like most Footy Leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back