Prediction 2021 Pass Mark For Each Team

Remove this Banner Ad

May 13, 2007
<---------
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Seahawks, Huskies, Newcastle Utd.
Interested to discuss what supporters think that the pass mark for each team would be for the coming season. Going off their 2020 ladder position, here are my minimum expectations;

Port – flag
Brisbane – flag
Richmond – flag
Geelong – flag
West Coast – flag
Saints – top 4. Was going to say grand final but a rise of a couple of places will be a good effort
Bulldogs – top 4. Same thoughts as the Saints
Collingwood – finals. Chance to drop out so to stay in the finals after their post-season would be a fair effort
Melbourne – finals
GWS – not to drop back any further than they are now. A freefall would be terrible but it's on the cards after losing some decent players
Carlton – finals
Fremantle – finals
Essendon – not worse than 14th. Expecting them to fall so if they can stay out of the bottom 4 then a good result for me
Gold Coast – up four places and into the top 10. Needs to keep improving with the talent they have
Hawthorn – any rise on last year
Swans – any rise on last year
Kangaroos – not last
Adelaide – not last

Essendon actually having a clear game plan, getting games into the kids, no serious injuries we usually have 1 or 2 a year

I would rather finish 16 have a clear vision for the year then finish 9 and have zero clue

I think only Geelong needs a flag for a pass mark, because of how much they traded in. It's win or bust pretty quickly.

Port and Brisbane are up and coming so have time. A flag win is not necessarily expected of them, and it's not likely the last chance.

Richmond, we have 3 in 4 years and while we are the best team, teams don't stay up forever. We have cashed in well from our dominance and while not winning would of course be disappointing, flags from here are a bonus. Even the great Brisbane team was only a serious threat for 4 years.

West coast weren't close last year, way too harsh to say winning it all is the minimum expectation.

I don't necessarily think a pass mark for us is related to our ladder position. It's more about development and improvement in our young core, ensuring they're better players and more experienced at the end of the year than they are now.
same as us, hopefully not bottom but give the kids a go

West coast weren't close last year, way too harsh to say winning it all is the minimum expectation.
We're expected to be winning with the profile of our list, especially so considering that some of our senior players are getting close to finishing up.

With a decent run of injuries and a bit of luck we'll be around the mark.

Essendon actually having a clear game plan, getting games into the kids, no serious injuries we usually have 1 or 2 a year

I would rather finish 16 have a clear vision for the year then finish 9 and have zero clue

Agree with this. I don’t necessarily see our year rated by wins/losses but the clarity that comes with continuity for our top 25 players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be disappointed if we miss finals, losing Treloar/Phillips/Stephenson shouldn't hurt us much based on last seasons form, a fit De Goey/Sidebottom and Howe and an improved season from Grundy would hold us in good stead, so yeah finals for me and a rough flag chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope the Scully rumours aren’t true aka Patton’s problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scully saw Pattos junk and went into sabitical?

I'll be disappointed if we miss finals, losing Treloar/Phillips/Stephenson shouldn't hurt us much based on last seasons form, a fit De Goey/Sidebottom and Howe and an improved season from Grundy would hold us in good stead, so yeah finals for me and a rough flag chance.
And if you have injuries this year as well, like you've had so much in recent years?

You might get those particular guys guys back, but then lose others, and you've now got much worse depth to cover for them, having lost 3 best 22 types, with match-hardened bodies and experience, and replaced them with untried kids.

And if you have injuries this year as well, like you've had so much in recent years?

You might get those particular guys guys back, but then lose others, and you've now got much worse depth to cover for them, having lost 3 best 22 types, with match-hardened bodies and experience, and replaced them with untried kids.
Well we did ok last season, Stephenson was as useless as useless gets and Phillips hardly played, Treloar will be missed but he was nowhere near at his best, his form since his double hammy had been average, as i said based on last years form none of those 3 will hurt us IMO, none of them finished top 10 in our BaF.

Trying to do assessments based off 2020 is very difficult with the return to longer game time and the hopeful return to normality in terms of preparation and day to day life. Four key setbacks in the pre-season can alter expectations quite considerably, there has to be a perception of "What if everything goes to plan", but things change quickly and the planners over estimate their position. Not to pick on Essendon, but they are a great example in that their great point of difference was the run from half back of McKenna and Saad and they are both gone now. Things evolve Richmond were at the cross roads in 2016, and chose the right path and have become a powerhouse as a result, but even they need to find a few new pieces to continue the evolution. Do Fremantle have the courage to move past Fyfe, Mundy and Hill and hand over team ownership to the new breed, we will find out. Only three teams can win the flag in 2021 in my opinion, but there is a chasing bunch who need luck and development to genuinely contend, hell even the first three need that.

Richmond, we have 3 in 4 years and while we are the best team, teams don't stay up forever. We have cashed in well from our dominance and while not winning would of course be disappointing, flags from here are a bonus. Even the great Brisbane team was only a serious threat for 4 years.

I'm generally quite happy if my team makes the Top 4 - as in prelim week. If you are the reigning premiers, it's probably the pass mark (they're the best 4 teams in the comp - anything can happen on the day, so nothing is guaranteed - it's not a failure if you don't make or win the GF, just a disappointment).

If you make Prelim week, you have
a) looked foward to the game each week
b) won a lot of games along the way
c) been in the discussion all year
d) won at least one final

I'll take that any year.

I'm generally quite happy if my team makes the Top 4 - as in prelim week. If you are the reigning premiers, it's probably the pass mark (they're the best 4 teams in the comp - anything can happen on the day, so nothing is guaranteed - it's not a failure if you don't make or win the GF, just a disappointment).

If you make Prelim week, you have
a) looked foward to the game each week
b) won a lot of games along the way
c) been in the discussion all year
d) won at least one final

I'll take that any year.
Completely agree. The only reason I say Geelong must win the flag this year for a pass mark, is because they've thrown so much draft and future capital at it, and their core is getting so old, that it's a boom or bust situation.

That's not a criticism cats fans, it's worth the shot given you've been close. 1 flag is worth 10 years of future pain, given that's still ahead of the average in an 18 team comp.

Off Tap your idea of "minimum expectations" is too high IMO. A pass mark should be based on steady incremental improvement. For Brisbane, we made the SF in 2019, the PF in 2020, so incremental improvement would be the GF in 2021. If we lost the GF I wouldn't consider that a failure, because the team is still young and would only need a small improvement to win a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2021 Pass Mark For Each Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back