Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't get over how sh*t our guernsey looks. Reckon I can pick up an exact replica at Queen Vic Market...

I was going to ask if it was really that bad, then I remembered the logo placement. Frustrating design.

One of my old workplaces used to have patterned tiles in the loo, and there was one that was rotated 90 degrees so it wasn't completing the pattern. This gives me the same feeling as that tile.

I was going to ask if it was really that bad, then I remembered the logo placement. Frustrating design.

One of my old workplaces used to have patterned tiles in the loo, and there was one that was rotated 90 degrees so it wasn't completing the pattern. This gives me the same feeling as that tile.

You'd think an Adidas product would look premium and refined. To add insult to injury; we've kept that stupid thick, bold strip down the sides of our away shorts, as well...

*face palm.

People in footy have this macho "no excuses" mindset and those that do won't appreciate that image probably. I've said it before but context is always really important if wanting to understand what outcomes really mean.

We didn't play good footy clearly, but I'm more happy to concede we had some good reasons for it.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
eAcH tEaM hAd To Go InTo LoCkDoWn aNd EvErYoNe hAd iT tOuGh

Hawks fans, AF question for you. How Titch is going and when do you think he will play first game for the year?
Cheers
Looks fit on the track but still in a limited program without full contact.

won’t be at all surprised to see him round 1, like last year when he was supposedly not going to make it after his leg break.

Hard to summarise as it's a long article - the first part talks a bit about how we're probably better stocked than expected for younger players, and how the injured senior guys (Gunners, Sic) are doing a lot of good work with development.

DGB & Sicily

On Sicily - “Obviously it’s a pain to lose Sicily but from a maturity point of view he has been really good. He is out on the track coaching and walking around with our defenders, talking to Denver about how to play the role and he has been one of our really strong leaders amongst our playing group."

On DGB - “He’s been going really well. We have played in little intra-club scratch matches of 20 and 30 minutes and he’s showing really good signs. You can understand why he’s an early pick, his reading of the ball in flight is outstanding. Like most of these kids he is still learning the game. It’s not for me to say who is in the selection frame (for Round 1) but if you looked at his match play last week you would say he’s ready to play. Then you look at other training stuff and he’s a little green and now quite ready. He is quite athletic and tall and can play a multitude of roles but he’s well suited to that mid-tier defender who can read the ball in flight and hopefully he is a guy who can turn over a lot of the footy in the way James Sicily plays.”

Downie

“He’s been playing mostly on a wing with a little bit of half back and half forward. He’s a ripper kid. Desperate to learn, desperate to improve, he wants to look at vision, he wants to grab hold of coaches. He has beautiful kicking stills and runs well in space.”

Brockman

“He is going to have a pretty special highlights tape. If we fast-forward 10 years, you look at the career he is going to have and if you look at the highlights tape there won’t be too many better."

“He has a desire to get after the opposition, he’s quite selfless around goals and he squares it quite a bit and puts teammates into better positions. He is agile and has nice skills on both sides, I didn’t initially know if he was left or right footed so he’s got a pretty bright future.”

Worps

“He is 22 and he is winning most of the physical testing, beating guys who are 27 and 28. He is on a mission as far as improvement not just of himself but the whole group. His promotion into the leadership group means he will get that exposure and drag a lot of younger guys along with him.”

Scrimshaw

“His body language sometimes suggests he is a little laconic but what he produces is pretty consistent in a tough position so he’s really important for us. He has a little X factor in the back half, he is a nice size, he can take a tall or small and he’s damaging by leg. He has started to figure out what is the really important part of his game and what he needs to produce consistently but also his weaknesses."

Day

“He is a guy who is just about the first magnet on the board. Where he plays this year, no one knows just yet. He played a lot as a defender and at times we pushed him up onto a wing and he wasn’t really ready to play there but he has such a high footy IQ. His ability to catch on is really strong. He will do some things at his age that he shouldn’t be able to do until 26. Just that clever little handball that most players would get cut off, but he has that spatial awareness. He’s going to be a player for us for a long time and it’s what we are trying to embed with that new wave of talent coming through.”

CJ

“His best is phenomenal but his worst did cost us fairly regularly and as a defender that’s quite tough. The thing he has worked on and credit to him is doing the simple things well."

Other names - Mitch Lewis and Kosi working very closely with McRae on refining their craft, both training extremely hard and showing a bit. Moore is looking to get a better run at it this year. Greaves a great example of hard work and is a very reliable player, which is needed to balance out the guys in defense who take the game on a bit more
No mentions of Jeka? Hopefully just keeping him under the radar.

Can you think of another indigenous player with an incredible highlight reel that also played for hawthorn? Might make a good point of comparison? 😂😜
If only I was allowed to.

Sorry Bris, you’ll just have to pretend like I made a comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to summarise as it's a long article - the first part talks a bit about how we're probably better stocked than expected for younger players, and how the injured senior guys (Gunners, Sic) are doing a lot of good work with development.

DGB & Sicily

On Sicily - “Obviously it’s a pain to lose Sicily but from a maturity point of view he has been really good. He is out on the track coaching and walking around with our defenders, talking to Denver about how to play the role and he has been one of our really strong leaders amongst our playing group."

On DGB - “He’s been going really well. We have played in little intra-club scratch matches of 20 and 30 minutes and he’s showing really good signs. You can understand why he’s an early pick, his reading of the ball in flight is outstanding. Like most of these kids he is still learning the game. It’s not for me to say who is in the selection frame (for Round 1) but if you looked at his match play last week you would say he’s ready to play. Then you look at other training stuff and he’s a little green and now quite ready. He is quite athletic and tall and can play a multitude of roles but he’s well suited to that mid-tier defender who can read the ball in flight and hopefully he is a guy who can turn over a lot of the footy in the way James Sicily plays.”

Downie

“He’s been playing mostly on a wing with a little bit of half back and half forward. He’s a ripper kid. Desperate to learn, desperate to improve, he wants to look at vision, he wants to grab hold of coaches. He has beautiful kicking stills and runs well in space.”

Brockman

“He is going to have a pretty special highlights tape. If we fast-forward 10 years, you look at the career he is going to have and if you look at the highlights tape there won’t be too many better."

“He has a desire to get after the opposition, he’s quite selfless around goals and he squares it quite a bit and puts teammates into better positions. He is agile and has nice skills on both sides, I didn’t initially know if he was left or right footed so he’s got a pretty bright future.”

Worps

“He is 22 and he is winning most of the physical testing, beating guys who are 27 and 28. He is on a mission as far as improvement not just of himself but the whole group. His promotion into the leadership group means he will get that exposure and drag a lot of younger guys along with him.”

Scrimshaw

“His body language sometimes suggests he is a little laconic but what he produces is pretty consistent in a tough position so he’s really important for us. He has a little X factor in the back half, he is a nice size, he can take a tall or small and he’s damaging by leg. He has started to figure out what is the really important part of his game and what he needs to produce consistently but also his weaknesses."

Day

“He is a guy who is just about the first magnet on the board. Where he plays this year, no one knows just yet. He played a lot as a defender and at times we pushed him up onto a wing and he wasn’t really ready to play there but he has such a high footy IQ. His ability to catch on is really strong. He will do some things at his age that he shouldn’t be able to do until 26. Just that clever little handball that most players would get cut off, but he has that spatial awareness. He’s going to be a player for us for a long time and it’s what we are trying to embed with that new wave of talent coming through.”

CJ

“His best is phenomenal but his worst did cost us fairly regularly and as a defender that’s quite tough. The thing he has worked on and credit to him is doing the simple things well."

Other names - Mitch Lewis and Kosi working very closely with McRae on refining their craft, both training extremely hard and showing a bit. Moore is looking to get a better run at it this year. Greaves a great example of hard work and is a very reliable player, which is needed to balance out the guys in defense who take the game on a bit more

Awesome, thanks for that.

Love hearing that Downie has that drive, that Brockman has that magic, that Day is all class and that DGB is ready in terms of his ability.

How did we get Brockman so late?
Surely if there ever was a year in which you went overweight on talent vs other qualities, this was the year.
He is almost a complete package for his type of player.

If Sam Mitchell is projecting him have a long career, this soon into his first pre-season...

There was talk that Brockman was one in a long line of players West Coast were kinda trying to hide away.

Can't get over how sh*t our guernsey looks. Reckon I can pick up an exact replica at Queen Vic Market...

They are eye-catching in person. Stand out on the shelves at Rebel.

Funnily enough they are getting universal praise on the 'new jumper designs for 2020' thread on this site.

They are eye-catching in person. Stand out on the shelves at Rebel.

Funnily enough they are getting universal praise on the 'new jumper designs for 2020' thread on this site.
Which just tells you how full of idiots Bigfooty is.

Just putting it out there but Sam Mitchell has been the best thing about our pre season this year. The extra insight we are getting about players in his vids on the Hawks website, the footage of him speaking to the Box Hill boys and now this article. It’s awesome to get so much in-depth discussion about our players

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back