Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

it seems like hes going to be more of a swingman which i think will be better than purely as a defender

BB has always been elite at filling in defensive gaps, it's just better when its not full time

Yeah I think he's been great zoning off and filling in the hole when he was playing in the ruck. But when he's forced to man up someone is when it's an issue.

I disagree. Big Boy has one or two years left at most. We aren't winning flags in that time, so we should be playing the next lot of players in that role, namely DGB. Sicily will be back next season anyway, so Big Boy is not needed there.
BB is needed there and DGB will get his chance when the selectors think the time is right. It may be sooner than I think considering that he has previously played against bigger bodied forwards.
He just hasn't played week after week against the likes of Lynch, Riewoldt, Buddy, Hawkins, Kennedy, Dixon who all would be fine with running through a new young defender each and every week. It would be interesting to see what DGB is made of, but at what cost?

Left field but I would love to see us throw Frost onto a wing for stints. He could wreak absolute havoc in short bursts. Think Embley on steroids...twice.

We need to create an advantage on the wing. I reckon Jaegar is also another way to give us a strength on a wing.

As for Day he is such a smart mover wouldn't surprise me to see him as a bit of glue up forward if our backline is providing enough run. He could be the Gunston replacement.
100% Day to replace Gunston

You shouldn’t need CD to tell you Hawthorn have a bunch of elite players.

Gunston, Breust, Sicily, Wingard, McEvoy, Mitchell is a very good bunch of players, even if you want to argue the definition of elite, with another group pushing behind them(Worps, Scrim, Day, Impey, Jom, Dimma, Phillips etc) to take us forward.

No surprise that when we had even just a handful of those players in the first group up and about we were a different side early in 2020.

If you’re putting a ceiling on what we can do in 2021 based on 2020 and saying we can’t get near finals, then I guess you’re ignoring how royally ****ed we were by that draw last year and the three separate hubs, as well as thinking our boys have nothing left to offer.

82A26977-DAC9-4DC3-A368-4A6AE232EE88.jpeg

Gunston, Breust, Sicily, Wingard, McEvoy, Mitchell is a very good bunch of players, even if you want to argue the definition of elite, with another group pushing behind them(Worps, Scrim, Day, Impey, Jom, Dimma, Phillips etc) to take us forward.

No surprise that when we had even just a handful of those players in the first group up and about we were a different side early in 2020.

If you’re putting a ceiling on what we can do in 2021 based on 2020 and saying we can’t get near finals, then I guess you’re ignoring how royally f’ed we were by that draw last year and the three separate hubs, as well as thinking our boys have nothing left to offer.

View attachment 1055999
Richmond kissed on the dick that day break advantage was such a massive advantage.

BB is needed there and DGB will get his chance when the selectors think the time is right. It may be sooner than I think considering that he has previously played against bigger bodied forwards.
He just hasn't played week after week against the likes of Lynch, Riewoldt, Buddy, Hawkins, Kennedy, Dixon who all would be fine with running through a new young defender each and every week. It would be interesting to see what DGB is made of, but at what cost?
I think he's going to slot in just like Day did and show his class.
Just looking at our defenders, there will be great competition between them this year for a position in the backline.

If you’re putting a ceiling on what we can do in 2021 based on 2020 and saying we can’t get near finals, then I guess you’re ignoring how royally f’ed we were by that draw last year and the three separate hubs, as well as thinking our boys have nothing left to offer.

View attachment 1055999
People in footy have this macho "no excuses" mindset and those that do won't appreciate that image probably. I've said it before but context is always really important if wanting to understand what outcomes really mean.

We didn't play good footy clearly, but I'm more happy to concede we had some good reasons for it.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

I think he's going to slot into just like Day did and show his class.
Just looking at our defenders, there will be great competition between them this year for a position in the backline.
100% DGB will slot into a Def that has just lost Chip,Sic, Stratts! Should have been pick #2 in the draft. I would say two Key backs, With both Scrimshaw&Dgb coming over to support.

On W.Day this guy will end up in the midfield sooner rather than later class and poise. Could be anything, think S.Pendels, M.bontempelli.

I think he's going to slot in just like Day did and show his class.
This is almost a certainty
Do you think the 2 young ones will play down back together or will Day move to the wing like others have mentioned?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tis training down there. Lost a lot with Stratton, Frawley and Sicily injured.

Such an intriguing year
Yeah that surely has a big impact down back, it's why I think we stick with BB down there. He, Burger n Jars the calmer heads needed.

Can’t wait for all this positivity to be set alight when the Bulldogs run over us in our first hitout, and everyone forgets the progress and development being reported on at training in favor of writing off the entire year.

should be good.
Oh don’t worry even if the Bulldogs don’t over run us, HODGEYROAD will still give us all a dose of his “Doom and Gloom”

Any chance of a summary for non subscribers?
People actually subscribe to the Hun. o_O

I’d rather have my nuts put in a vice and have someone that does not like me give it a turn every half an hour rather than read anything that fat Essendank supporting Flog Robbo, has to say.

Any chance of a summary for non subscribers?

Hard to summarise as it's a long article - the first part talks a bit about how we're probably better stocked than expected for younger players, and how the injured senior guys (Gunners, Sic) are doing a lot of good work with development.

DGB & Sicily

On Sicily - “Obviously it’s a pain to lose Sicily but from a maturity point of view he has been really good. He is out on the track coaching and walking around with our defenders, talking to Denver about how to play the role and he has been one of our really strong leaders amongst our playing group."

On DGB - “He’s been going really well. We have played in little intra-club scratch matches of 20 and 30 minutes and he’s showing really good signs. You can understand why he’s an early pick, his reading of the ball in flight is outstanding. Like most of these kids he is still learning the game. It’s not for me to say who is in the selection frame (for Round 1) but if you looked at his match play last week you would say he’s ready to play. Then you look at other training stuff and he’s a little green and now quite ready. He is quite athletic and tall and can play a multitude of roles but he’s well suited to that mid-tier defender who can read the ball in flight and hopefully he is a guy who can turn over a lot of the footy in the way James Sicily plays.”

Downie

“He’s been playing mostly on a wing with a little bit of half back and half forward. He’s a ripper kid. Desperate to learn, desperate to improve, he wants to look at vision, he wants to grab hold of coaches. He has beautiful kicking stills and runs well in space.”

Brockman

“He is going to have a pretty special highlights tape. If we fast-forward 10 years, you look at the career he is going to have and if you look at the highlights tape there won’t be too many better."

“He has a desire to get after the opposition, he’s quite selfless around goals and he squares it quite a bit and puts teammates into better positions. He is agile and has nice skills on both sides, I didn’t initially know if he was left or right footed so he’s got a pretty bright future.”

Worps

“He is 22 and he is winning most of the physical testing, beating guys who are 27 and 28. He is on a mission as far as improvement not just of himself but the whole group. His promotion into the leadership group means he will get that exposure and drag a lot of younger guys along with him.”

Scrimshaw

“His body language sometimes suggests he is a little laconic but what he produces is pretty consistent in a tough position so he’s really important for us. He has a little X factor in the back half, he is a nice size, he can take a tall or small and he’s damaging by leg. He has started to figure out what is the really important part of his game and what he needs to produce consistently but also his weaknesses."

Day

“He is a guy who is just about the first magnet on the board. Where he plays this year, no one knows just yet. He played a lot as a defender and at times we pushed him up onto a wing and he wasn’t really ready to play there but he has such a high footy IQ. His ability to catch on is really strong. He will do some things at his age that he shouldn’t be able to do until 26. Just that clever little handball that most players would get cut off, but he has that spatial awareness. He’s going to be a player for us for a long time and it’s what we are trying to embed with that new wave of talent coming through.”

CJ

“His best is phenomenal but his worst did cost us fairly regularly and as a defender that’s quite tough. The thing he has worked on and credit to him is doing the simple things well."

Other names - Mitch Lewis and Kosi working very closely with McRae on refining their craft, both training extremely hard and showing a bit. Moore is looking to get a better run at it this year. Greaves a great example of hard work and is a very reliable player, which is needed to balance out the guys in defense who take the game on a bit more

People actually subscribe to the Hun. o_O

I’d rather have my nuts put in a vice and have someone that does not like me give it a turn every half an hour, rather than read anything that fat Essendank supporting Flog Robbo has to say.

Difficult to comprehend but I believe so. Probably mainly only Essendon apologists and similar illiterati.

I don’t know about anyone else on here, but I’m really excited to see the development of Scrimshaw, Day and Greaves. Hopefully there will be games played at the MCG.
Last pre-season camp there was a couple of drills that really showed Days elite ball use & Greaves decision making under pressure.

They had to kick the ball around a hexagon & players would have to run out of the hexagon with the right timing & then take a mark in a box (set out by markers) on the lead, so they had to time the lead & the players had to kick the footy into the box. Will Day & Michael Hartley was perfect everytime. Greaves was amazing in the match simulation, didn't get flustered just stayed calm.

Brockman

He is going to have a pretty special highlights tape. If we fast-forward 10 years, you look at the career he is going to have and if you look at the highlights tape there won’t be too many better."

“He has a desire to get after the opposition, he’s quite selfless around goals and he squares it quite a bit and puts teammates into better positions. He is agile and has nice skills on both sides, I didn’t initially know if he was left or right footed so he’s got a pretty bright future.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back