Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

The training session I saw there are a number of drills focussed on close in handball in the chaos of a stoppage. Ball still hit the deck quite a few times. But also a few youngsters like Moore have good quick hands.
McRae acquisition paying off already

Interesting stuff.

Do we have two open list spots now? So can add Bravo and still have a pick mid season?
Based on match sim I’d be staggered if he or the kid from Tas are added. Admittedly just joined in so improvement is to come but I think we need to remember neither were drafted or rookied. I think our add on for Scully is a box hill player or not at all.

Impey will play back. Day lined up on the wing a few times during the intra

That's what we want to see. I guess this also means that Burgoyne will likely play forward when he's in the side.

Greaves, Impey, Scrimshaw, Frost, Hartigan and Hardwick are likely locked into defensive roles. Add in DGB and maybe Downie, a rotating Day and/or a returning Sicily and we have quite a few options there.

I think our backline could be quite exciting. Especially if Hartigan can hold his own against KPF's of the league.

And then there's Blicav from KPB. To be honest I can't think of any other KPB who has been a success as a wingman.

It's usually in reverse, players moving from the wing to essentially KP spots - great names such as Ablett Snr and Langford in the AFL and Judd2Sewell in SFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Left field but I would love to see us throw Frost onto a wing for stints. He could wreak absolute havoc in short bursts. Think Embley on steroids...twice.

We need to create an advantage on the wing. I reckon Jaegar is also another way to give us a strength on a wing.

As for Day he is such a smart mover wouldn't surprise me to see him as a bit of glue up forward if our backline is providing enough run. He could be the Gunston replacement.

BB just had a top 4 BnF playing there. If he’s not needed elsewhere and we need an extra tall, he’s gotta be the first pick.

I disagree. Big Boy has one or two years left at most. We aren't winning flags in that time, so we should be playing the next lot of players in that role, namely DGB. Sicily will be back next season anyway, so Big Boy is not needed there.

Left field but I would love to see us throw Frost onto a wing for stints. He could wreak absolute havoc in short bursts. Think Embley on steroids...twice.

We need to create an advantage on the wing. I reckon Jaegar is also another way to give us a strength on a wing.

As for Day he is such a smart mover wouldn't surprise me to see him as a bit of glue up forward if our backline is providing enough run. He could be the Gunston replacement.

I think Day could be that advantage - he's strong in the air, and will (based on his efforts last season) at least halve the contest he isn't able to win outright. Tall, quick, good in the air and smart.

Hopefully Phillips gut-runs and opens up the ground and Day positions himself on the fat side for switches.

I disagree. Big Boy has one or two years left at most. We aren't winning flags in that time, so we should be playing the next lot of players in that role, namely DGB. Sicily will be back next season anyway, so Big Boy is not needed there.
Yeah I only said if he’s needed. Like you I’d much rather see DGB etc. But BB won’t be first ruck so based on that, it’s gotta be utility across the ground you’d think.

I think Day could be that advantage - he's strong in the air, and will (based on his efforts last season) at least halve the contest he isn't able to win outright. Tall, quick, good in the air and smart.

Hopefully Phillips gut-runs and opens up the ground and Day positions himself on the fat side for switches.
Yep can see that too. Like it.

All for new ideas & input from outside sources but god I hope we don't try & become a Richmond clone

I think we will as the first stage of the game plan evolution to become a great side and beat Richmond.

As if you look at Clarko tactical game plans that have won us premierships they have been a game plan to beat the best team.

The 2008 game plan was to beat Geelong

The 2010 - 2011 game plan was a copy of Collingwoods and once we mastered this.

We changed our game to beat Collingwood and because every club was playing like Collingwood we could beat them also .

Our game style was more to do with kicking and drafting left footers with great kicks other clubs couldn’t copy us as easy as it took many drafts to get the players to do it.

it seems like hes going to be more of a swingman which i think will be better than purely as a defender

BB has always been elite at filling in defensive gaps, it's just better when its not full time

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back