VFL 2021 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no doubt in my mind our drafting has been quite good since Libba took over.

The fact that pick 26 last year was our highest since pick 4 in 2018 means that it was always going to be scrutinised though.

The frustrating part for me is that history shows it's very hard to find a quality mid in the draft outside of the top 30 and we've used one top 40 pick since 2015 on a mid.

The fact Libba he been given a poor hand most years meant that this was a pick we really had to try and nail.

Im rapt with the later selections we've taken in Byrnes, Bytel, Highmore, Connelly etc. but not sold it's enough to take us too far going forward.
I’m rapt with the Byrnes selection too. He looks a player , and a leader. Sometimes you don’t need time to work that kind of thing out , sometimes it’s just obvious. As for most others , thanks for all the stress.

We've read it all before with other draftees. Give them time.

It's a footy forum, people will give there opinion on decisions the club makes. It would be a boring place if we all waited to see how every decision plays out before we give our opinion.

You seem to be the sensitive one here.
Sure… I’m the one spending post after post whining about it.

At least you concede you’re going off half-cocked, I guess…

Yeah, Clark was a genuine mid by the time the draft came around. He dominated that back half of the year for Dandenong.

Not many had him in the top 10 prospects until probably just before the draft came around though.

Coff was the obvious selection at the time.

As a 17 y.o was a potential no.1 until he was injured in his draft year.

And you are the one here whining about what others post about. Sounds sensitive.
Cerebral response. Bravo.

That’s some “I know you are, but what am I?” shit.

Last edited:
Yeah, Clark was a genuine mid by the time the draft came around. He dominated that back half of the year for Dandenong.

Not many had him in the top 10 prospects until probably just before the draft came around though.

Our recruiters referred back to Clark and Coffield as u17s when talking about how Covid would impact last years draft, and said someone like Hunter Clark would still have been a very high selection if he didnt play his u18 year but Coffield might have not even been drafted without playing.

So our recruiters always rated Hunter Clark as an extremely high pick.

It was quite a jump from Brayshaw.

The biggest knock on him was that he was "vanilla"

Looking like a very good selection from Freo

Boring player, just plays well all the time, no X factor. Look at Dunstan, we have no clue where the ball will go, neither does he, that's real X factor.

From my recollection Hunter was always in the mix at our pick, Bonar was popular because of his size () and very very few people rated Naughton. Especially after he sprayed the ball everywhere during a champs game.

Coff was thereabouts but most were hoping for a Clark/Stephenson combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This heartburn over Matt Allison is a bit hyperbolic don’t you think?
I think only Stewart66 and myself can actually attest to seeing him in the flesh on a football ground.
The little I saw impressed me (and if a like from Stewie is an indication), I suspect he was impressed too.
The rest of you are getting your knickers in a twist based on dodgy video from one VFL game.
He was #26. That’s no first rounder and that’s no guarantee of a star.
Libba selected him for reasons that we aren’t privy to.
Who knows, maybe Ratts is really really keen on building a 21st century version of the Dick Clay/Francis Bourke winning wings from the other Richmond dynasty?
That’s as sensible a reason as anything else I have read in the last ten pages or so.

Training Today.

Jones trained well in main group , probably play minutes VFL this week
Clark / Frawley / Webster/ Wood in rehab group ….today with McKernan .

Gresham / Paton trained with rehab today but still done for year , but good to see.
Max Heath trained today in main season in yellow …vibe good .
Standouts today were Crouch , Ross …in general training .
Marshall moving best he has all year, clearly struggled pre season .

On the subject of Allison yeah early preseason was very promising, as year has gone think
he is just developing with the grind of AFL training , has grown a lot this year .
Being very conservative with Bytel …and while Billings trained with main group guernsey
didn’t do a lot , think injury has hampered him most of the year.

Finishing back on Allison think we will have better idea after big preseason in weight room
Kent is pressing for selection this week .

From my recollection Hunter was always in the mix at our pick, Bonar was popular because of his size (
emoji6.png
) and very very few people rated Naughton. Especially after he sprayed the ball everywhere during a champs game.

You might be right. I don't remember Clark being in the mix until much later in the year but that could be because we were always linked to players that ended up going before our pick as well (Brayshaw, Cerra, Stephenson).

Not playing midfield until after the champs had a few questioning whether he was a genuine mid, but the way he finished off the year I don't think there was any doubt.

Either way I was happy with the selection. I just hope we bite the bullet and play him as a genuine mid.

Hopefully Coff can get his confidence back. Clark, Coffield and Higgins could end up being a very good core group all taken from that draft if we get things right.

Training Today.

Jones trained well in main group , probably play minutes VFL this week
Clark / Frawley / Webster/ Wood in rehab group ….today with McKernan .

Gresham / Paton trained with rehab today but still done for year , but good to see.
Max Heath trained today in main season in yellow …vibe good .
Standouts today were Crouch , Ross …in general training .
Marshall moving best he has all year, clearly struggled pre season .

On the subject of Allison yeah early preseason was very promising, as year has gone think
he is just developing with the grind of AFL training , has grown a lot this year .
Being very conservative with Bytel …and while Billings trained with main group guernsey
didn’t do a lot , think injury has hampered him most of the year.

Finishing back on Allison think we will have better idea after big preseason in weight room
Kent is pressing for selection this week .
Gee that would be a good recovery from Jones. He's still listed as 2 to 3 weeks.

Not sure there is a need to bring him back that quick though, we would want to be confident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen him in 3 or 4 of his VFL games now which were televised. The others were much better footage than on the weekend.

He's a long way off and would struggle to get a VFL game if he wasn't on an AFL list.

Not sure you actually had to see the game in the flesh to get a good indication of how he is going.

26 might be late for a first round pick but is still a good pick.
I have seen Allison on about 6 occasions at a game and at training and I have yet to see him have a possession. I have never seen a player who runs around but never gets involved in the game.

I think it was the Cats that had Clark at 1 from memory.

Liked Naughton a lot but hats off to our recruitment of Clark .
We would played Naughton as a defender too …little doubt .
Coffield will be good long term player if we’re patient..for mine.

Didnt realise Twomey had Higgins that low …think he will really blossom next year Higgins .

Higgins looked incredible but he'd left school to concentrate on footy and there was a theory that he had less improvement left in him. He was a footy player not an athlete too. I think he was the highest ranked player in the TAC possibly even.

I have seen Allison on about 6 occasions at a game and at training and I have yet to see him have a possession. I have never seen a player who runs around but never gets involved in the game.
You obviously haven't watch me play. It's almost an elite skill that takes effort to be so invisible on a field. Maybe a magic trick..

From my recollection Hunter was always in the mix at our pick, Bonar was popular because of his size () and very very few people rated Naughton. Especially after he sprayed the ball everywhere during a champs game.

i rated naughton... i'll have to dig it up but i think i said we should be considering him with one of our picks... i did get criticised for having that view though, some seemed to be puzzled as to why naughton was good. its very rare you get such a dominant attacking KPD.

i was keen on coffield (really really keen), not as much on Clark, thought he was a bit "vanilla". i wasn't keen on bailey smith.

thought walsh looked amazing!!!!

Liked Naughton a lot but hats off to our recruitment of Clark .
We would played Naughton as a defender too …little doubt .
Coffield will be good long term player if we’re patient..for mine.

Didnt realise Twomey had Higgins that low …think he will really blossom next year Higgins .
Yeah I agree S66 I really rate Higgins will be a very good player for a long time

Last edited:
You might be right. I don't remember Clark being in the mix until much later in the year but that could be because we were always linked to players that ended up going before our pick as well (Brayshaw, Cerra, Stephenson).

Not playing midfield until after the champs had a few questioning whether he was a genuine mid, but the way he finished off the year I don't think there was any doubt.

Either way I was happy with the selection. I just hope we bite the bullet and play him as a genuine mid.

Hopefully Coff can get his confidence back. Clark, Coffield and Higgins could end up being a very good core group all taken from that draft if we get things right.
Thought Coff was looking good before the hammy went, have no doubt he will be one of our most important players going forward

I was having a read up about Coffs draft year. He is that mid we need, big body
And “apparently” break away speed. I’m hoping he has a massive preseason and we actually give him a crack in the middle.

I was having a read up about Coffs draft year. He is that mid we need, big body
And “apparently” break away speed. I’m hoping he has a massive preseason and we actually give him a crack in the middle.
Looks nothing like a mid at AFL level IMO.

He rarely wins his own footy unless the ball is in the air.

He looks ok with ball in hand in traffic but if the ball is in dispute he looks fumbly.

Maybe the wing but we'd be better off pumping games into Clark than Coff IMO.

His strength is clearly his marking. He's got speed but you would hardly know it watching him. Needs to take the game on more.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2021 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back