Team Mgmt. 2021 starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Think that's why there have been murmurings about Stoddart, Bonner (who I think is an outside mid anyway) and Hind.

Not sure he's a great defender, but I really liked Stoddart a couple of years ago.

I'm more concerned about defending though too - those three names don't improve us defensively at all (though I admittedly know nothing about Bonner apart from what I've read), do they? Who plays on Liam Ryan, Charlie Cameron, Dan Butler, etc.?

Not sure he's a great defender, but I really liked Stoddart a couple of years ago.

I'm more concerned about defending though too - those three names don't improve us defensively at all (though I admittedly know nothing about Bonner apart from what I've read), do they? Who plays on Liam Ryan, Charlie Cameron, Dan Butler, etc.?
Not really, but there'll be a mature aged player somewhere that'll be draftable for that.

B Francis - Ambrose/BZT - Ridley
HB Redman - Hurley - Smith
C Langford - McGrath - Merrett
HF Snelling - Stewart - Zaharakis
F Tippa - Wright - Stringer
R Draper - Parish - Shiel
Int. Laverde - Heppell - Caldwell - Hind
Emg. Clarke - Ham - Guelfi - Hooker

Three top 10 picks too, would hope at least one of those is getting a run in round 1.

We'll need a miracle to make the eight next year. Very underwhelming 22, not to mention average depth.

Yeah, next season will probably be the first in many I don't expect us to make the Grand Final.

B: Redman Hurley Francis
HB: Ridley Hooker Heppell

C: Caldwell Shiel Merrett
Foll: Draper Parish McGrath

HF: Laverde Stewart Smith
F: Tippa Stringer Wright

B: Langford , Zaka , Hind , Gleeson

B: Redman - Zerk-Thatcher - Francis
HB: Ridley - Hurley - Heppell
C: Langford - Shiel - Merrett
HF: Smith - Stewart - Stringer
F: Laverde - Wright - McDonald-Tipungwuti
R: Draper - McGrath - Parish
I/C: Caldwell - Hind - Snelling - Ham

Hopefully one or two of our top 10s can come in for Snelling and/or Ham.

B Francis Zerk-Thatcher Redman
HB Heppell Hurley Ridley
C Langford McGrath Merrett
HF Smith Stewart Parish
F Tipungwuti Wright Stringer
FOLL Draper Shiel Caldwell
INTER Snelling, Hind, Laverde, Zaharakis

Something like;-

Hurley Zerk Ambrose
Redman Ridley Hind
Caldwell McGrath Merrett
Langford Stewart Zakka
Stringer Wright/Hooker Tippa

Draper Parish Shiel

Bench: Heppell Smith Snelling Laverde

Emergencies from: Francis Gleeson Ham Clarke Guelfi

Last edited:
Can't believe I forgot Ridley in another thread...

B: Redman-Ambrose-Hind
HB: Ridley-BZT-McGrath
C: Langford-Parish-Merrett
HF: Stewart-Wright-Walla
F: Smith-Hooker-Stringer

R: Draper-Shiel-Caldwell

IC: Snelling-Francis-Heppell-Hurley

Em: Laverde-Crauford-Zaharakis-Cutler

This is the fun bit, we’ve actually got a pretty good clutch of kids, especially so with 3 top 10 picks, but this is where we can choose to be young and exciting, or not.

McGrath, Ridley, Caldwell, Parish, Francis, Zerk, Jones, Bryan, Draper with 3 top 10 selections and Brand and Eyre on the way is not bad at all, need to play them, develop them and believe in them. It’s not going to pop any eyes but it’s pretty good and they all fit the modern game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Redman - Zerk-Thatcher - Francis
HB: Ridley - Hurley - Heppell
C: Langford - Shiel - Merrett
HF: Smith - Stewart - Stringer
F: Laverde - Wright - McDonald-Tipungwuti
R: Draper - McGrath - Parish
I/C: Caldwell - Hind - Snelling - Ham

Hopefully one or two of our top 10s can come in for Snelling and/or Ham.
No hooker ?

Pre draft...
Firsts :

B: Redman Hurley Francis
HB: Ridley Hooker Heppell

C: Caldwell Shiel Merrett
Foll: Draper Parish McGrath

HF: Laverde Stewart Smith
F: Tippa Stringer Wright

B: Langford , Zaka , Hind , Gleeson

Seconds:

B: Guelfi ZThatcher Ambrose
HB: xxxx McBride xxxxxx

C: Ham xxxxxxx Cutler
Foll: Bryan Clarke xxxxxx

HF: Cahill Jones Johnson
F: Phillips Townsend Snelling

B: Mosquito McQuillan xxxxx xxxxxxxx

Hurley BZT Francis
Heppell Ridley Hind
McGrath Langford Shiel
Laverde Hooker Snelling
Stringer Stewart Tippa

Draper Parish Merrett

Interchange: Smith Caldwell Ambrose Wright

Emergency: Jones, Ham, Guelfi, Redman

Our defence is rock solid with Hurley, Ridley, Ambrose and Francis leading the charge. Feel like Heppell will be played back a lot in 2021 and offers a bit with his marking power and footy smarts
On ball brigade is interesting - still need a few big bodies and I feel Langford has the frame and now confidence to be our inside mid beast and can rotate with the mercurial Stringer
There’s plenty of pace and running power around the ground with the likes of Hind, Ambrose, Tippa, Snelling, Shiel and Merrett
Its the forward line that might be our weak link BUT that can change quickly if Hooker and Stewart can kick 50+ goals between them (Hooker MUST play forward!) I would love to see young Jones come on in 2021 and take over from Hooker but we need a few more tall forward options which no doubt we will look at with picks 6,7 and 8 in a few days time...
Go Bombers!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
This is the fun bit, we’ve actually got a pretty good clutch of kids, especially so with 3 top 10 picks, but this is where we can choose to be young and exciting, or not.

McGrath, Ridley, Caldwell, Parish, Francis, Zerk, Jones, Bryan, Draper with 3 top 10 selections and Brand and Eyre on the way is not bad at all, need to play them, develop them and believe in them. It’s not going to pop any eyes but it’s pretty good and they all fit the modern game.

We've got kids but very few I would put as certainties to contribute.

bolded = AFL impactful player (4)

underlined = tested and contributing AFL worthy player (3)

italic = untested at AFL level. (7)

We have well and truly made our own bed in regards to our kids, Essendon has always had decent enough kids at the lower level buut have nearly always found a way to wait ourselves out of playing them.

If the coaching staff actually embrace this mini re set and play the kids then seeing a resurgence shouldn't be out of the question. All comes down to everyone at the club buying in and going in the same direction

Not counting draft picks

B Hind Hooker Ridley

HB Redman Hurley Heppell

C Langford McGrath Merrett

HF Tippa Stewart Zaharakis

F Snelling Wright Stringer

R Draper Parish Shiel

Int. Laverde Francis Caldwell Smith

Why are people seriously picking Hooker and Zaharakis. They shouldnt be on a list anymore
Honestly, if this season was anything to go by in terms of selection, I’d be shocked if Zaka wasn’t selected round 1.

He had a few good games TBF, not that I’m trying to defend his 5 disposals in 2 weeks or whatever it was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Mgmt. 2021 starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back