Play Nice 2022 AFL/AFLW Crowds/TV Ratings/Stream thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't know they had access to the revenue stream in bold.

I was of the understanding that revenue from - all events and matches, not just its home games - was limited to some corporate inventory. Do you know if its substantially more than that?
My understanding is the merchandising aspect is definitely in the deal. They used to get a cut of the merchandising turnover sold by the other clubs too. Although I think this has since been amended.

Both codes nothing special on FTA TV capital city ratings AFL #11 the NRL #14

The thing with Thursday nights is that there are a number of very popular shows on up against the football so I doubt it will ever be the ratings bonanza the TV moguls think it will be.

SEVEN’S AFL: THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALLSeven Network390,00012,000223,00048,00065,00041,000

THURSDAY NIGHT NRL LIVENine Network307,000173,00037,00085,0004,0008,000

not too bad for a thursday night in QLD. with the gold coast expected to get 20k at least on Saturday this could be the first time in a while there's 45k+ attending aussie rules in QLD in a single weekend
rare for two games in one weekend tho

My understanding is the merchandising aspect is definitely in the deal. They used to get a cut of the merchandising turnover sold by the other clubs too. Although I think this has since been amended.

IF the AFL wanted to equalise the dollars for the clubs homed there, they could.

IF the AFL wanted to equalise the dollars for the clubs homed there, they could.
It's not that simple. These contracts are water tight. It's easier to wait until 2025 when I'm sure all clubs will be put on level footing. AFL controls the stadium and the fixture, they can fukc over Essendon (or any/every team) if they want to.

It's not that simple. These contracts are water tight. It's easier to wait until 2025 when I'm sure all clubs will be put on level footing. AFL controls the stadium and the fixture, they can fukc over Essendon (or any/every team) if they want to.

It'd be the AFL equalising the dollars. Not impacting the contracts.

Surely the halfwits at the AFL have to get on top of this. Continually sellout games not cracking 45k in a 52k stadium. Cut down the side of the medallion club would be a start.
The medallion club is only 5k. Some of them would turn up. Any idea what sort of numbers.

Not much the AFL can do about that given people pay about $6k a year for those seats and its a 12 month right purchased.

What sort of split of the other 5+k not turning up would be Carlton members with rights and not turning up and the rest being other corporates who have boxes/seats but are no shows.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The medallion club is only 5k. Some of them would turn up. Any idea what sort of numbers.

Not much the AFL can do about that given people pay about $6k a year for those seats and its a 12 month right purchased.

What sort of split of the other 5+k not turning up would be Carlton members with rights and not turning up and the rest being other corporates who have boxes/seats but are no shows.

The AFL aren't losing any money from people not showing up, but I'm sure they'd want that boost to the annual average attendances number by a sellout getting closer to capacity. It's almost 20 percent down on actual capacity for sellouts at marvel which isn't great.

A sellout literally means that all seats are sold. You can't force all ticketholders to turn up on the night.
it happens in US sport and big soccer clubs in Europe. I hope the AFL can find a system which works within the next decade to maximise crowds.

A chance for just about the lowest crowd since WWII for GWS/Hawthorn on Sunday.

150mm of rain forecast for a mid winter clash between 14th and 15th is the least promising conditions I have ever heard of.

3,059 between the Bears and Footscray at Carrara in 1992 the current low.

On a more positive note, I flew back to Melbourne from Sydney this morning and there was a huge number of Swans supporters at the airport and on the flight. Good to see.

A chance for just about the lowest crowd since WWII for GWS/Hawthorn on Sunday.

150mm of rain forecast for a mid winter clash between 14th and 15th is the least promising conditions I have ever heard of.

3,059 between the Bears and Footscray at Carrara in 1992 the current low.

Given the deluge that has been predicted, almost guaranteed.

Yeah they're hardly going to get rid of the Medallion club given it's by far the biggest moneyspinner for the stadium. That's the reason why tenant clubs pay no rent.

The alternative is charge tenant clubs a rental fee, and in return they can sell those seats. Yeah, I don't think so, the clubs would have a fit if they were given a stadium deal similar to Optus Stadium.

On a more positive note, I flew back to Melbourne from Sydney this morning and there was a huge number of Swans supporters at the airport and on the flight. Good to see.
Crowd will be decent at the G today. From what I understand Essendon believe they will have a bigger than expected turnout today with the family friendly time slot apparently leading to good pre sales from its members wanting to take their kids and supporters starved of a daytime slot. They also have a young members do today at the ground.

Leaning towards exceeding 40,000 today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2022 AFL/AFLW Crowds/TV Ratings/Stream thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back