Preview 2022 AFL Grand Final, Geelong vs Sydney @ 2:30pm at the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
JUST WOW…We’re going back to the big dance and are in the first Grand Final to be played at the MCG this decade following our comprehensive 71-point win over Brisbane on Friday night – to put that finals win into perspective, the combined margin for the other 7 finals is just 77 points

And with a 1-point victory over Collingwood, our opponent next week will be Sydney, a team with whom we share a long history. Going back to their days as South Melbourne, our two clubs have been going head-to-head since 1987, and faced each other on 228 occasions. But what makes our 229th clash a bit more special is that for the first time in 125 years will face off in the Grand Final

Go back 12 months, and it’s likely even the staunchest Geelong supporter would have struggled to confidently predict the 2022 season we’d have – we’d been smashed by Melbourne to the tune of 83 points in the prelim final and there were significant changes ahead for the club…Brian Cook departed the club after 23 years as CEO, we farewelled 3 experienced assistance coaches and there were those questioning where the regeneration of the playing list was going to come from as majority of our veteran group was playing on

We welcomed Steve Hocking as our new CEO, while from an assistant coaching perspective, some thought we missed the boat as we didn’t get a big name, instead “settling” for James Kelly, Matthew Egan & Josh Jenkins, though Eddie Betts was a universally loved appointment – maybe that’s exactly what was needed

With the fresh faces came a new approach, the assistants were given a blank slate to work with and asked to provide their ideas rather than coming into a system they had to fit within – gone was the perceived need for line coaches, along with it the cliques of the Wolfpack & Misfits, and instead we’re seeing a more inclusive, whole team approach which has clearly paid dividends so far as we’re seeing a Club that’s enjoying itself from the players on the field to those working off of it, especially in our social media team

And while finals is rarely the time we focus on the individual, there are two milestones we should acknowledge ahead of Saturday:
- Zach Touhy becomes just the second Irish lad to run out in game #250 - 120 Carlton & 130 with in the Hoops. I’m sure there’ll be plenty of fans on Saturday screaming out for him to get on the end of a torp

- Perhaps the slightly bigger milestone belongs to the guy in the #14, when he breaks yet another record in 2022, the season in which he became the most capped captain in AFL history, the first Cat to play 350 games and on Saturday he’ll become the first player in league history to run out in their 40th finals appearance - as I read yesterday, essentially 2 additional seasons he’s played just in finals

Whether Saturday will be his 355th and final match is yet to be seen, but Joel Selwood is a legend of the Geelong Football Club: across 16 seasons he’s played in 15 finals series, 12 preliminary finals and this will be his 6th grand final

But we know neither Joel or Tuohy would want additional attention this week ahead of their milestones, and instead it’ll be about the working towards the team goal and being the ones placing the cap on the AusKick kids heads after the final siren

So, the mindset that’s worked for us over the season & especially over last 15 matches is the mindset we need to take in this week, and as both Joel & Tuohy said in the pre-match address on Friday night:
Joel: ‘This is what we talked about too. Just professional at what we do. Hey. Let’s smile out there.’
Zach: ‘Take it on. Enjoy it. Enjoy it’
Joel: ‘And what we got to do. Is we’re going to just go forward with this. LETS DO IT’

Fc2RGN9akAAl7Nw

You sure? Could have sworn it was inside the stadium in 07. I remember so many people.
The players were presented on stage outside the ground.

As the other thread got closed before I could submit, let's try this again.

I too have some confidence, however I would think, and hope, both players and supporters heed the pain of 2008, in that everything before that first bounce matters not. It's what gets done on that day over 4 quarters is all that matters. The boys MUST turn up, AND turn it on early. Get on the front foot early and maintain a lead. Our best all year will beat anyone, and so if ever there is a need for every player to do their bit it's this one (obviously), otherwise we've wasted the past decade of ups and downs, seriously...this is the time we've been building to since beginning to farewell most that made up that late 2000s dynasty.

Swans did a lot of trash talking last night to Collingwood. I implore we own the MCG on Saturday and so that by half-time the Blue and White of Geelong own the stands, with the haunting sounds of the slow "GEEEEEEEE-LONNNNNGGGGG" echo throughout. Let's also hope we make the RIGHT list decisions, and not romantic or kind ones. No one really gets to the GF without niggles, but anyone unlikely to play the game out at the level required cannot be considered.

Also, once the club song plays of course, would love to hear the "Cat Attack" get cued up at the MCG on the big day. But alas, let's just respect that it is NOT ours to lose (media narrative garbage), but that we are best placed to win it now, after 11 years, SO STAND UP AND FIGHT. GO CATS!

The players were presented on stage outside the ground.

Inside the ground after 2007 (it was already set up due to them showing the game on big screens inside the ground); they organised the same set up to watch the 2008 GF

5cd224beed3a3e4bd3eb26263c1a2743

The 2009 family day was held outside, but not at St Marys - it was on the Geelong Cricket Club oval. Not sure on 2011 as I couldn't make it

Inside the ground after 2007 (it was already set up due to them showing the game on big screens inside the ground); they organised the same set up to watch the 2008 GF

2edb7847ae386bd28467bf577da3cd93

The 2009 family day was held outside, but not at St Marys - it was on the Geelong Cricket Club oval
Ah ok, I had the years mixed up.

This is a screenshot from the Brisbane board after their prelim loss. This same thing has been said by opposition teams for the past 15 years. Literally 15 years. Priceless. What our club has done over the past 15 years is truly outrageous. Year after year we continue to make the other 17 teams and their supporters look like complete idiots.

mod note - screenshot deleted (not permitted in posted format)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think in 2009 (not sure on 2011) that the big screen set up was at the waterfront - maybe ground redevelopment at the time?
I'm taking about the after events. I was sure one I went to one where the players were presented on stage on the sunday outside the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the GF I had from the Finals predictor , of course I had us coming our Premiers😁
The QF was massive as Pies are the real deal and the path via Brisbane will be telling IMHO.
Having said that I think this one will be close and probably a 60/40 in our favour.

Both teams are set with only Holmes and Reid the question marks - plenty of options to choose from though.
Both teams have superstars who can turn a game - this will be mouth watering👍
I was confident Scott would outcoach Fagan- this week will be different as Longmire and co are legit elite.

Best news is I’m air fare booked and taken out a second mortgage for the tickets so bring it on Catters - love this team and love this amazing Club👏👏

As a quick reminder:

We're hoping by now that you all know the terms & rules that you agreed to when you signed up, but for those who've forgotten them, here's the link - Terms and rules

But for those who need constant reminders of the basics:
  • NO direct quoting from other boards; this includes posts where you haven't removed the tag from the poster, or where you screen shot a post and then share the image here without editing out the poster
  • NO tagging opposition posters into threads on the Geelong board just to stir s**t
  • STOP the mod criticism; use the report function if you believe a post is out of line. Alternatively, start a private conversation with the mods from that board or one with Chief to raise your concerns with content, but mod criticism isn't on
  • STOP the public bitching about & sharing of inappropriate posts; if you didn't deem it appropriate the first time you saw it, why do you suddenly think it's appropriate to share now...

When I watched the Sydney V Melbourne QF, I was concerned that they would be tough to beat if they made the GF. Watching the PF against Collingwood, I saw a team the Cats can beat. The Catters will still need to bring it and play at their best, but we can take them.

In 2020, although the Cats played well that season, I always thought Richmond was the better team. This year, I think the Cats are the best team. With Holmes possibly being OK to play, we're in a good position. Get it done, Catters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back