Preview 2022 AFL Grand Final, Geelong vs Sydney @ 2:30pm at the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuinely interested why you think 42/47 experts across SEN/Age have picked Geelong and how they are at $1.45. You think all punters and speculators across the land are blinded by romanticism for the Cats? Or just badly misplaced analysis?
Our ladder position, although we have not beaten the Swans, our preparation, our easier prelim.
I think we deserve being favourites if there has to be one, but Swans have a style and group of players very capable of winning, which would not then be an upset in my eyes

Sydney has not encountered a team this year with the talent, depth or form that Geelong has right now.

Not even close. So I think the pressure is on Sydney early, because they have to prove they can perform when the bar is raised. We are going to find out what they can do.

On the other hand, Collingwood was the second best team this year IMO. Our finals win over them, holding up under their 4 quarter pressure game at the MCG in front of their fans, will hold us in good stead tomorrow.

GO CATS

Last edited:

...well, I must say it is somewhat of a consolation to see that all you pussy cats are suffering just as thoroughly as I have been.

I swear it has been a creeping sickness in me over the past few weeks - I was ready for tomorrow a month ago!

Our ladder position, although we have not beaten the Swans, our preparation, our easier prelim.
I think we deserve being favourites if there has to be one, but Swans have a style and group of players very capable of winning, which would not then be an upset in my eyes
Fair enough. A few of the same conditions as 2020 vs Tigers then except for top of the ladder (we did that the year before but Tigers were still strong favourites for the prelim). One difference being that was a champion opponent who knew how to get it done in big finals. The other being our team simply lacked the skill, speed and dare of this group for going up gears. Didn't have the legs to run out games against the very best.

I see that differently now. From the 2019 prelim we add Duncan, Hawkins, Cameron, Stengle, SDK, Smith, Holmes (?), Close and Atkins. I think Sydney are worse than that 2019 Tigers team. It'll be a great game but there is a favourite. Just one of those unfortunate realities. Favouritism is determined hypothetically by both teams playing their best. If Sydney wins, Geelong have not played their best (and yes, that's very possible).

I wouldnt say parf is more flexible hes an inside mid whereas sam can play wing or hf. Moc is role flexible though agreed.
I can’t argue with your logic…it makes sense. But I am just going on evidence of what the MC have done this year - looking back, despite cryptic wording sometimes, they have actually been very consistent in choices - and conservative (going with what they know).

So that is why I think they go for almost last out first in type scenario (knowing it is more thought through than that!). MOC in and Parf sub. Whilst I agree Sam seems like a logical like for like with huge flexibility (at least the sam we remember is!) I think there is enough flexibility within the team (smith, Duncan, 2E etc) that they will just go with most proven for 2022.

Anyway I really really hope none of us get to prove who was right - but I fear we will all know soon which way they go in replacing Max…

A sense of doubt has come over me the past few hours.

Nothing compared to 09 and 11 and not even close to 07. Eerily similar to how I was feeling before 2020.
We have to remember Swans have similar experiences in GF’s. Only won 1 in 4 in recent history?

So they have same pressure….

Confident it will be a good day for the CATS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry Taylor Celebration GIF by geelongcats

T-minus 15 hours.

Let's go.

I got a bit stressed so I started listening to this, and now I feel weightless.

Don't worry, tomorrow lunch I will crank some 1980s guitar revving classics... when the first beer is opened ;)

Personally, I won't have the same feeling tomorrow should the Cats lose (unless they kick themselves out of the game) as I've felt the Dees were the best side. Injuries and poor form at the pointy end of the season were their downfall.
Dees were the best team for the first 10 games of the season. Their end of season record against the rest of the top 4 was something like 0-4. Include finals and its 0-5. Their record against the top 8 was 5-6. Include finals and its 5-8.
Thats hardly a team best in the comp. All teams get injuries, all teams have slumps. Demons issue last season was their forwardline, they got away with it last year and it totally burnt them this year.

Three times in a decade shows that these kind of odds, yes it'd be an upset but nothing insane. I'd still consider this less of an upset than Sydney's last flag.
Yeah odds don't mean much. Generally with form you either look at the previous meetings between the teams (we beat you but it was round 2 so it's too far back to matter) or say the last 8 rounds of the season on form (and both teams are 8- 0 with % around 130%).

If the grand final was at the SCG I would say we would be favourites but it's not so cats deserved favourites but it's def not a 70/30 game. A lot more like 55/45. Swans definitely respect cats but we match up well. Going to be a cracker I think!!! Deserves to be one anyways. Best of luck!

It's interesting, on MMM they spoke about our Chaos vs Sydney's control. Rewind back a few years and that's us as control vs Tigers as Chaos, and we all know how that turned out for us.

Everyone has been talking about Sydney's pressure, but I hope we come out and put insane pressure on them instead, bash and crash them as I think we're bigger and stronger than them in the mids and get that early chaos ball rolling, because if we do that, we'll win.

We can't allow them to get their kicking game going and use their pace. Especially if Holmes is out we'll be a bit slower too.

Ross the Boss said, if Sydney aren't pressuring us all game or it tapper's off at any stage, they're in trouble. So it would be awesome to get the jump on them and get that chaos going straight away.

Tag Warner like we did Neale, stop Heeney and Papely and that'll go a long way to us winning. Just hope Stanley plays well against Hickey and Hawk/Cameron kick strait.

Also, I don't believe Swans have a real match up for Blicavs when he's not rucking in the midfield.

Lets go Geelong!

I don't see how this team could be any better prepared for this match, so If its meant to be its meant to be as long as they leave nothing on the table.

A flag to send off some veterans would be grand, especially as the Swans youth is a big chance to be back in the GF over the coming years.

Anyone else disappointed in the first two episodes of andor? (Thought I’d break up the thread a bit. I don’t get nervous like you guys).

It just didn’t feel like Star Wars. And I still have no idea what’s going on.

For people starting early. Hit the market.
A slice of cantelope, cracked pepper, wrapped in prosciutto. Breakfast of champions.

Have I thrown your train of thought yet?
No?

A Bloody Mary works well too.

UK.

My neighbours are going to think I'm hosting some kind of after party when the boys start arriving at 5am. Also going to redefine exactly what a breakfast beer is.
awesome - i am attending a private bar in brixton owned by a friend who is hosting party. Are you in London?

The Cats are favourites for a reason. They've won 15 games in a row. We dominated a pretty good team last week. Our bottom 6 players are not liabilities any more. Kolo and Miers played their best games against Brisbane. Paddy D was like his old self. Couldn't ask for much more. Go Cats!

GRAND FINAL GAMEDAY!!!!!

CARN THE CATTERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back