Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This still works for us getting Humphrey or Tsatas. I don't care how sneaky we have to get, getting one of those two makes this whole offseason a massive A+ win. I know people are off of Tsatas, and I'm aware I just did a whole spiel about him but let's not get silly here guys. I would still take Tsatas with the first pick if we had it, he's got the production of Ashcroft with higher upside. Call it a hot take, call it delusional, just make sure we call his name out.

Why does he have a higher upside to Ashcroft?

When our midfield is as s**t as it is anyone is going to look rolled gold.

Poo
Humphrey B Bear
Tsatas
Clark
MacKenzie

Anyone of these players will be best 22 round 1.
….but not Cooper Stephens who is 3 years older and taken at pick 16….?

We took Ward at 7 and he only played 14 games.

I agree one of those kids SHOULD walk straight into our midfield but for every Bailey Smith or Andrew Brayshaw, there’s a Paddy Dow, LDU, Josh Sinn, Finn Callaghan, etc. who doesn’t walk straight in and start contributing.

Why does he have a higher upside to Ashcroft?
More athletic, more evasive, has a frame that can be built upon, and he's shown flashes of brilliance by foot. Ashcroft is a workhorse with a ton of value to a team and someone you can rely on to bring energy and competence to every game. Tsatas has athletic traits that Ashcroft just doesn't, he's good overhead and his deficiencies can be worked on. Ashcroft might be a better prospect, but I don't think he'll end up the best player in this draft. He's almost guaranteed to be top 3-5 though, which is why he's so highly valued. Tsatas could be the best player in the competition with his midfield nous and natural tools.

More athletic, more evasive, has a frame that can be built upon, and he's shown flashes of brilliance by foot. Ashcroft is a workhorse with a ton of value to a team and someone you can rely on to bring energy and competence to every game. Tsatas has athletic traits that Ashcroft just doesn't, he's good overhead and his deficiencies can be worked on. Ashcroft might be a better prospect, but I don't think he'll end up the best player in this draft. He's almost guaranteed to be top 3-5 though, which is why he's so highly valued. Tsatas could be the best player in the competition with his midfield nous and natural tools.
Many of the best midfielders ever haven't been great defensively. If you're that good, it's less of an issue.

It's clearly an area for Tsatas to work on and may be the reason he isn't locked into the top 3. But we have pick 7. You take that talent if he's there.

Was his ball use (and to a lesser extent his decision making) in the Metro v Country game an aberration? Because it was terrible.

Also his sprint testing at the recent combine was not too impressive. I don't know his agility results, but they weren't top ten. Do you believe that was due to his previous injury?

Maybe the injury had impacted his Metro v Country game too. It was impressive to wrack up those kinds of numbers, but as I said he was really poor by foot and had a few wayward handballs.

We're not interviewing these kids 3+ times each and then selecting one who has glaringly obvious deficiencies with regards to a fundamental part of their game or personality/attitude.

I just can't see Sam Mitchell involving himself personally in a crucial football department process that ultimately provides a poor result due to something that was immediately obvious to armchair experts online.

If we pick Tsatas or Phillipou and they fail then I'm sure it won't be for the reasons people are currently concerned about.

Many of the best midfielders ever haven't been great defensively. If you're that good, it's less of an issue.

It's clearly an area for Tsatas to work on and may be the reason he isn't locked into the top 3. But we have pick 7. You take that talent if he's there.
James Hird, as much as I hate the cheating ****, was a brilliant player and only averaged 1.7 tackles a game. Robert Harvey only managed 1.5 tackles a game on his way to two Brownlow Medals. Tsatas will have every chance to improve defensively, but it's not like can't be great without being a dominant defensive force.

We're not interviewing these kids 3+ times each and then selecting one who has glaringly obvious deficiencies with regards to a fundamental part of their game or personality/attitude.

I just can't see Sam Mitchell involving himself personally in a crucial football department process that ultimately provides a poor result due to something that was immediately obvious to armchair experts online.

If we pick Tsatas or Phillipou and they fail then I'm sure it won't be for the reasons people are currently concerned about.
Just then reported on 10 news Tsatas almost a certainty to become a Bomber if you can believe them .

Was his ball use (and to a lesser extent his decision making) in the Metro v Country game an aberration? Because it was terrible.

Also his sprint testing at the recent combine was not too impressive. I don't know his agility results, but they weren't top ten. Do you believe that was due to his previous injury?

Maybe the injury had impacted his Metro v Country game too. It was impressive to wrack up those kinds of numbers, but as I said he was really poor by foot and had a few wayward handballs.
I think his VICM performance was endemic of both a relatively new position as an inside midfielder against a really strong team, some defensive effort put into him keeping him very accountable, and just a bad game. I agree with Davo-27's sentiment that when you walk out on the field you're accepting that you're fit to play, but he still brought what I thought was a decently productive game. By all accounts, he tested a lot better in preseason testing and I wouldn't be surprised if he was able to get back to his best in a professional environment. More importantly than just testing, he uses his speed on the field really well and makes an impact with his athleticism which isn't always the case with athletic midfielders. Elijah's a player with a ton of tools and great production, refining that down into a solid role for him will make it easier for him to get acclimatized to AFL-level midfield pressure and the stronger bodies. I'd be in favour of playing him off a wing alongside Amon and really drilling him on defensive running to start off, playing as a fat-side zoning defender before letting him loose in attack. He's got good hands and has shown he can take a strong mark when he stands under it, and letting him work his way into a more attacking role while having a strict assignment to not let his man get the better of him. He also seems to try and be a general as a midfielder but gets a bit caught up in his own head. Give him a strong midfield leader like Moore and a general in Sicily to direct him and let him focus on his role and his defensive effort will improve. Playing in space will let him use his skills without wearing the damage of playing as a stoppage midfielder, where you'll see his skills really shine. Ultimately, when I review his tape I am really impressed with his ability to get his hands to the footy first, his composure when he does get the footy with a bit of space, and his blitz heading inside 50. He's a unique player that isn't easy to pin down, but with his base I would take him over any other player in the draft.

What I would like to know is how much better is Phillipou’s defensive side of the game than Tsatas? If he is more locked in defensively then it might be such a bad thing if the * take Tsatas before us.

I just have a feeling of Tsatas is gone when we pick then Mackenzie will be selecting his namesake. Mackenzie is likely a safer pick whereas Phillipou could end up being anything the way he takes the game on.

How many more sleeps until the draft MrPremiership?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People worrying way too much about tsatas defensive side, the only real slight worry is whether he can transition into an inside mid at AFL level!!? İt May not be a problem for other clubs but for us, we NEED a gun inside mid/frwd.
As I mentioned late yesterday, tsatas is been eyed by the Don's and Hawks have been super impressed by Humphrey. Didn't get anything on how the phlippa interview went but I believe Humphrey is quite high on our list along with Clark.
İ would love both.

People worrying way too much about tsatas defensive side, the only real slight worry is whether he can transition into an inside mid at AFL level!!? İt May not be a problem for other clubs but for us, we NEED a gun inside mid/frwd.
As I mentioned late yesterday, tsatas is been eyed by the Don's and Hawks have been super impressed by Humphrey. Didn't get anything on how the phlippa interview went but I believe Humphrey is quite high on our list along with Clark.
İ would love both.
We bloody need both 🤪

James Hird, as much as I hate the cheating *, was a brilliant player and only averaged 1.7 tackles a game. Robert Harvey only managed 1.5 tackles a game on his way to two Brownlow Medals. Tsatas will have every chance to improve defensively, but it's not like can't be great without being a dominant defensive force.
Now make this comparison with someone who started their career post 2000, because the game has changed far too much for Hird and Harvey's numbers to be at all relevant to a guy being drafted in 2022.

Ok I think I'm ready for my first post. I've just finished reading these 200 odd posts up to this point. So, I want to give a summary to others who may have just joined to save them a bit of time. I'll refer to the discussions as they evolved as stages with "Stage 1" referring to the earliest.

Stage 1: We are getting Mackenzie. Good skills with the best kick in the draft. But he is a bit boring and safe. Hold on! We could also be getting Clark for his leadership and tenacity despite only being 4 foot tall. And importantly to spite Geeeeelol.

Stage 2: Mackenzie is a great kick. But he's got no x-factor. He's boring. But also so good with his skills. But it doesn't matter because the club will probably pick Clark because he's Sam's type of a player. Clark! Mackenzie! Clarke! Mackenzie!

Stage 3: Enter the FIGJAM! This guy has the X-factor just look at those 90 seconds of highlights. If you watch it twice it will be like 180 seconds! But he's arrogant. That's because he's confident and just a kid who hasn't had any media training. But he reminds me of Thorpe and gives me Burton vibes! Listen, he's the greatest young player to have never played in the AFL yet. He's what we need. But will he slide to us? Of course! No one else will notice.

Stage 4: Word is Dodo likes FIGJAM for breakfast. What? Does that mean Tsatas will slide to us? Wow! He's the best in draft really. FIGJAM is nice but have you ever had Tzaatar for a snack? Tsatas has it all. We would be crazy to not pick him if he slides to us. I still think FIGJAM is nicer.

Stage 5: We are getting one of Tsatas, FIGJAM, Clark or McKenzie. Dodo is playing mind games. He's trying to move down the draft because he thinks FIGJAM is going to slide and that's who he wants. So what's he asking for? Three first rounders: this year's, next year's and last year's and the first born of the current club champion. That doesn't even make sense. As I said mate it's just mind games mate.

Stage 5: Why doesn't anybody think we should get Humphrey? He's a gun! Yeah, we are a chance. It's going to be either Tsatas, FIGJAM, Clark, Mackenzie or Humphrey. Apparently, we flew FIGJAM and co to Melbourne for another interview. We called Dodo's bluff! We are playing mind games too. Dodo is sure to pick him now. Tsatas is definitely sliding to us. Either way we are getting one of Tsatas, FIGJAM, Clark, Mackenzie or Humphrey. We are interviewing Gibney. We don't want him we are just trying to get Wet Coat nervous so they either take him or give us their pick. We are definitely getting one of Tsatas, FIGJAM, Clark, Mackenzie, Humphrey or Ginbey. But no matter which one I personally like I trust MM to make the right decision.

Stage 6: I don't think anybody knows who we are getting but aside from Ashcroft, Cadman, Wardlaw and Sheezel it could be anyone. But, everyone in the know, everyone who has no idea and all those inbetween really want you to "Sheezel my nizzle".

Last edited:
It's perfectly reasonable to wonder why a midfielder who has such undeniable offensive output (probably second only to Ashcroft) is going to slide as far down as Pick 7 or 8. Even more so that the slide is becoming obvious after the interview process has started.

We know that his weakness is defense, and typically the defensive side of a player is influenced more by mindset than it is by anything physical. If it is a physical thing you can normally see the intent at least, they just can't complete the tackle or aren't quick enough to apply pressure, but with Tsatas the intent is the issue. From the footage I've watched he seems to actively avoid pressuring players and tackling fairly often.

It's not quite so simple to just "teach him how to defend" if the intent is the issue, and maybe there's a theme in his interviews that reinforce that he might not be open to being taught. Sam delisting Downie has shown one thing, he values a player who will go when it's their turn.

Spoiler alert

Reluctantly I borrowed my mates ‘Tardis’ , I say reluctanty because we all the like the element of suspense/drama.

But for those that cannot wait til Monday, I can share the Top 10 only
1. Ashcroft (shock horror - bid was made and matched)
2. Cadman (Giants couldn’t type his name in quick enough
3. Wardlaw (North spent the last few weeks scouring Bigfooty to make such selection)
4. Sheezel (sloppy seconds in Norf double)
5. Tsatas (scum conflicted but went homegrown talent)
6. Ginbey (Suns pounced)
7. Feel A Poo (Hawks went best available)
8. Clark ( Cats got their man)
9. MacKenzie (Saints committed to their man - despite B.Bear available)
10. Hollands (blues pounced on midfielder)

Refuse to share more. But we get some gems as we go along.

Spoiler alert

Reluctantly I borrowed my mates ‘Tardis’ , I say reluctanty because we all the like the element of suspense/drama.

But for those that cannot wait til Monday, I can share the Top 10 only
1. Ashcroft (shock horror - bid was made and matched)
2. Cadman (Giants couldn’t type his name in quick enough
3. Wardlaw (North spent the last few weeks scouring Bigfooty to make such selection)
4. Sheezel (sloppy seconds in Norf double)
5. Tsatas (scum conflicted but went homegrown talent)
6. Ginbey (Suns pounced)
7. Feel A Poo (Hawks went best available)
8. Clark ( Cats got their man)
9. MacKenzie (Saints committed to their man - despite B.Bear available)
10. Hollands (blues pounced on midfielder)

Refuse to share more. But we get some gems as we go along.
I’m more chance of being drafted than Humphrey is of sliding out of the top 10. 😬

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back