Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take away the Essendon gushing I really enjoy this kid's brashness. We have enough hard working types - if this kid backs up his bumptious manner on the training track and on gameday then I would love him at the club.
Self-confident or a FIGJAM… The former can elevate the player if they have a great work ethic, but the latter can be a problem, both for the players development and for the cohesiveness of the group.

The Hawk’s recruiting group are reportedly conducting more interviews than most clubs… so I’ll back them to determine whether Mattaes is cheeky / brash … or a just a knob. 🤔😅

Last edited:

I think Cooper Stephens coming across may have influenced our draft plans . He’s a recent 1st round DP who did nothing wrong at sadly the best team in the comp when given an opportunity, I don’t think he is viewed as making up numbers rather being a piece of the puzzle with expectations of playing a vital role . From what I saw of the U18 cships a similar player would be McKenzie which is why we may have gone cold on him and looking for something different.

Stephens needs to get off the sauce apparently and that’s the reason cats were happy to offload

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Stephens needs to get off the sauce apparently and that’s the reason cats were happy to offload

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Screenshot_20221124-203318.png

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the man doesn't even get on the tomato sauce, let alone over indulges in the alcoholic version.

I'm fine with Mackenzie at our pick. Fine with any of the mids available TBH. Like I could genuinely know.

Sam is my favourite footballer of all time. I'm all in on him as a coach too.

But... even I know a coach shouldn't force who to pick. If we take Mackenzie, I really hope MM and the recruiting team are the ones driving this.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With all the scenarios happening would not be dissatisfied if we ended up with McKenzie. Good size at 188cm ….. an all round attacking mid. Clean, good decision maker by hand and foot always raising his eyes before executing a dart pass forward to advantage and will lay a tackle when he can.

Last edited:
Welcome to HFC Jhye……
I've said all along I'll be happy regardless, but without being privy to the interviews and looking at our current list profile I'd be going with Jhye. What a team this young needs is more driven, fight til the end type of youngsters. Clark would slot perfectly in with Ward and Newc as a midfield group who will push each other for a solid 10+ years.

But... even I know a coach shouldn't force who to pick. If we take Mackenzie, I really hope MM and the recruiting team are the ones driving this.

Sam said in an interview this year that he gets input but it’s McKenzie and the recruiting team who call the shots on that one.

Watching MacKenzie highlights again. I’m back in love. Oozes class
His mind is quick, his hands are fast, tackles, has a neat 30m pass, follows up for a 1-2 … drawing players to him and so releasing pressure on the ball carrier.. which are all great traits… but I love the way he plays low by moving with his knees bent when in a pack while hunting the ball. He is low enough to pickup the ball but still able to power out through a gap or see the best option to release a ball carrier. He is an extractor who puts the ball to advantage and a perfect long-term fit with Newc, CMac, Ward and co.

I don’t think there is a bad draft-night decision for the Hawks (time will tell on whether the player chosen develops well). All in our draft pick window look to be great prospects. I’m also good with strengthening our 2023 draft hand if that is what happens. But like you smash I regard Cam Mac very highly And would be stoked if he becomes a Hawk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back