List Mgmt. 2022 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who below us do you think might look at Busslinger? North need another KPD but don’t think they’d take him at #1. Despite being a WA boy it’s not an area of need for the Eagles. Essendon are pretty much locked on for an inside mid. Adelaide don’t need a KPD. Hawks already have Blank and DGB as young KPDs so might look elsewhere although I could see the merit in them taking Busslinger.

GWS (Davis retiring, Haynes and O’Keefe getting on), Port and Gold Coast all make a bit more sense to me.
Most teams draft the best available in the first round rather than purely on needs.
West Coast need everything, if they think he's the best available they'll consider him.

Most teams draft the best available in the first round rather than purely on needs.
West Coast need everything, if they think he's the best available they'll consider him.

West Coast I reckon will take either George Wardlaw or Elijah Hewett. Both pick 1 contenders, both tough mids, and Hewett is a WA boy.

I can see it now, Busslinger available at our selection and we don’t take him…

This board will explode.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
"At pick #9 the Bulldogs take ... number 531654 ... LACHIE SULLIVAN!"

1657706927061.jpeg

Have only seen a few highlights of Busslinger at this stage, which were neither here nor there for me, so no real opinion yet, but given that frame you’d want him to be quick or you’ve just got a skinny Fischer McAsey.

Draft seems light on for high end talls, particularly defenders, which always makes the “best KPF/KPD in the draft” fraught.

Have only seen a few highlights of Busslinger at this stage, which were neither here nor there for me, so no real opinion yet, but given that frame you’d want him to be quick or you’ve just got a skinny Fischer McAsey.

Draft seems light on for high end talls, particularly defenders, which always makes the “best KPF/KPD in the draft” fraught.

Yeah, he isn't the quickest and I think he will be more a 2nd/3rd tall defender. I wouldn't trade up in the draft to get him. I'd be very happy if we got him at our current pick though.

I don't think he's as unathletic as McAsey.

There’s a Northern Knights KPD named Sam Grant, which is such a Dogs name we almost need to bring him in on principle.

KPDs of note after Busslinger:

Lewis Hayes
James Van Es
Ryan Eyers

Jed Rule and Tom McCallum show up a lot at full back or CHB in the NAB league team of the week, but they’re both around 192cm.

Who below us do you think might look at Busslinger? North need another KPD but don’t think they’d take him at #1. Despite being a WA boy it’s not an area of need for the Eagles. Essendon are pretty much locked on for an inside mid. Adelaide don’t need a KPD. Hawks already have Blank and DGB as young KPDs so might look elsewhere although I could see the merit in them taking Busslinger.

GWS (Davis retiring, Haynes and O’Keefe getting on), Port and Gold Coast all make a bit more sense to me.

Disagree on a few of those calls. North could easily bid on Ashcroft then take Busslinger without it being viewed as too much of a reach. They won’t be interested in any pure kids around that mark so it will likely be someone like Sheezel or Busslinger.

Essendon are in a similar boat, they don’t need any more mids, they’re already chockers with good experienced and developing options. They’ve got good developing key defenders too but if they’re secretly unhappy with their development Busslinger would make sense for them.

Adelaide are another with some good developing tall defenders but if they’re not coming on as much as they’d like they could turn to the almost sure thing in Busslinger.

Main point being, we’d have to finish the season very poorly to get into his range, injury or not.

I can see it now, Busslinger available at our selection and we don’t take him…

This board will explode.

People lost their minds when we passed over James Seller back in the day.

Who?

Exactly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Via Fox Footy

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Draft picks:
9, 27, 37, 63

List state of play: As the 2022 season has progressed, the Dogs’ key defensive depth has been exposed. They’ve conceded a lot of goals to key forwards, ranked 15th for opposition score per inside 50 percentage and struggled to intercept the ball in the back. The Dogs could address this deficiency during the trade period, but there’s a few key defensive prospects in the draft.

Ideal draft prospects: WA’s Jedd Busslinger could still be up for grabs by the time the Dogs pick, but he’d have to get through local club West Coast first — and possibly St Kilda — first. But there’s ample other options. Eastern Ranges’ Lewis Hayes — the brother of Port Adelaide’s Sam Hayes — is racking up the intercepts for Vic Metro in the champs. If the Dogs wanted to use a later pick on a key back, they could turn to Tasmania’s Tom McCallum — an exciting 192cm prospect that averaged nearly four intercept marks for the Allies in the champs — WA’s Hugh Davies or Victorian duo James Van Es and Josh Weddle.

Is busslinger a similar sort of player to the Hawks DGB?

Previous answer from PMBangers:

I think Busslinger would be capable of playing round 1 like Gibcus, he doesn't have the raw athleticism of Gibcus but is a smart player which allows him to intercept well, and he's probably more damaging with his disposal and offers more in transition. I'd say he's pretty similar to DGB however, but again I like his disposal a bit more heading forward, but DGB is probably better in one-on-ones

Disagree on a few of those calls. North could easily bid on Ashcroft then take Busslinger without it being viewed as too much of a reach. They won’t be interested in any pure kids around that mark so it will likely be someone like Sheezel or Busslinger.

Essendon are in a similar boat, they don’t need any more mids, they’re already chockers with good experienced and developing options. They’ve got good developing key defenders too but if they’re secretly unhappy with their development Busslinger would make sense for them.

Adelaide are another with some good developing tall defenders but if they’re not coming on as much as they’d like they could turn to the almost sure thing in Busslinger.

Main point being, we’d have to finish the season very poorly to get into his range, injury or not.
Do you think Essendon would downgrade pick #3 for 2 later firsts? Surely their list is better balanced with 2 of Cadman, Jefferson, Keeler (Scully and Lemmey will slip I think) than a KPD? It might be attainable even if not included in a Dunkley trade.

Mattaes Phillipou seems like an amazing talent. Late birthday, already 192cm - has a bit of Fyfe about him. Probably no chance of falling to our pick. If only his dad played more than a couple of games with us..

Yeah I reckon he goes top 5, recruiters generally drool over tall midfielders like him. We probably should be focusing on someone that's a better kick anyway.

I would love for Busslinger to get to us. I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't get a key defender through the door with one of our first 2 picks

Yeah I reckon he goes top 5, recruiters generally drool over tall midfielders like him. We probably should be focusing on someone that's a better kick anyway.

I don’t think recruiters tend to drool over tall mids as much as bigfooty does. Guys like Erasmus, Josh Goater, Matt Johnson and Reef Mcinnes were all hyped up as potential high picks but none really eventuated.

I don’t think recruiters tend to drool over tall mids as much as bigfooty does. Guys like Erasmus, Josh Goater, Matt Johnson and Reef Mcinnes were all hyped up as potential high picks but none really eventuated.

Fair enough, I actually wasn't aware of that. I haven't followed the draft the last couple years and can't really comment on any of those names.

For mine, Phillipou will go top 5 because I think he has some pretty rare traits. He regularly hits the scoreboard and his overhead marking is quite special. He started off as a medium forward so has a good understanding of how to play forward which is good. But it's pretty clear his primary position is as an inside mid where his inside work is first class and he has a decent burst of speed which he uses well. He's the closest thing that we've had in the draft to an Oliver/Fyfe IMO. I guess we shall see though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back