No Oppo Supporters 2022 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
bedford for mod
bedders after 19 seconds on the job

ron swanson computer GIF

A name that should be in the mix for the St Kilda job but I really hope that isn't is Don Pyke.

He rejected the Essendon gig understandably but purely from a talent perspective I'd much rather go to the Bombers than the Saints.

Please don't leave us Don, half the posters will be whipping Longmire to death next year if we regress!!!
Ready for duty sir!

This is how bad Ch 9 are on Sports Sunday they had the headline Essendon Bombers sack coach Brett Ratten

I've tried to read around to get a clear answer on this, but cannot figure it out. Can anyone explain why an out-of-contract player needs to be traded to their new team? Why can't they just walk there?

I know if the player is not a free agent then the team they're departing gets compo under the AFL system (unlike in the major American sports where you get zero), but I thought that compo was figured out by the AFL, not hashed out in negotiations by the clubs.

Seems crazy that a player with no binding contract for next season (Dunkley for instance) can want to go to a team and that team also wants to pay the player what they want – so both parties are happy – but yet the deal can fall through if the new team doesn't have the right assets to barter with the original team. This didn't happen in the end with the Dunkley deal, but could have.

I've tried to read around to get a clear answer on this, but cannot figure it out. Can anyone explain why an out-of-contract player needs to be traded to their new team? Why can't they just walk there?

I know if the player is not a free agent then the team they're departing gets compo under the AFL system (unlike in the major American sports where you get zero), but I thought that compo was figured out by the AFL, not hashed out in negotiations by the clubs.

Seems crazy that a player with no binding contract for next season (Dunkley for instance) can want to go to a team and that team also wants to pay the player what they want – so both parties are happy – but yet the deal can fall through if the new team doesn't have the right assets to barter with the original team. This didn't happen in the end with the Dunkley deal, but could have.
They can walk if they want to. I think Lenny Hayes did it. Possibly Darren Jolly did it to us too from memory. Happens occasionally. Did we trade for Tippett, I can't remember, I'm getting old lol.

Its mostly an etiquette thing that trades happen. Also a team like sydney players know they can come here and we'll trade them in good faith.

They can walk if they want to. I think Lenny Hayes did it. Possibly Darren Jolly did it to us too from memory. Happens occasionally. Did we trade for Tippett, I can't remember, I'm getting old lol.

Its mostly an etiquette thing that trades happen. Also a team like sydney players know they can come here and we'll trade them in good faith.

Think you mean Ball as Lenny was one clib player and Jolly got traded for pick 14 and third IIRC.

Tippett PSD

Agree that it really does look like etiquette and fostering relationships at trade table rather than just winning (also can be picked by another club in PSD)

If OOC players become FA after completion of contracts, I reckon a lot of rules will be required to change.

Draft contracts longer and with club and player options, club made trades and no trade clauses in contracts, nomination process to be state based only and likely unlimited future trading of picks up to four years away.

Honestly simpler to keep it the way it is and actually have proper process and discussion if changing the rules instead of knee jerk moves

Think you mean Ball as Lenny was one clib player and Jolly got traded for pick 14 and third IIRC.

Tippett PSD

Agree that it really does look like etiquette and fostering relationships at trade table rather than just winning (also can be picked by another club in PSD)

If OOC players become FA after completion of contracts, I reckon a lot of rules will be required to change.

Draft contracts longer and with club and player options, club made trades and no trade clauses in contracts, nomination process to be state based only and likely unlimited future trading of picks up to four years away.

Honestly simpler to keep it the way it is and actually have proper process and discussion if changing the rules instead of knee jerk moves

Hmm certainly the way it was reported though is that there was two options: (a) Brisbane find a trade the Dogs are happy with, or; (b) Dogs will walk Dunkley to the pre-season draft. I don't believe what I'm suggesting as a third option – (c) Dunkley has no binding contract and therefore can just sign with Brisbane – was really an option at all. It doesn't seem Dunkley chose not to pursue that option due to etiquette, I don't believe it was really a choice at all?

Hmm certainly the way it was reported though is that there was two options: (a) Brisbane find a trade the Dogs are happy with, or; (b) Dogs will walk Dunkley to the pre-season draft. I don't believe what I'm suggesting as a third option – (c) Dunkley has no binding contract and therefore can just sign with Brisbane – was really an option at all. It doesn't seem Dunkley chose not to pursue that option due to etiquette, I don't believe it was really a choice at all?

Option C is the current UFA.

If an uncontracted player isn't an UFC then need to nominate for either PSD or National draft.

Can also be delisted I believe and then any team can get them with a contract

Option C is the current UFA.

If an uncontracted player isn't an UFC then need to nominate for either PSD or National draft.

Can also be delisted I believe and then any team can get them with a contract

Such a needlessly complicated system and screws the players... If a player is out of contract, that in and of itself should constitute unrestricted. The major US sports do this so much better.

Such a needlessly complicated system and screws the players... If a player is out of contract, that in and of itself should constitute unrestricted. The major US sports do this so much better.

Disagree on the screws the players.

Current balance of power would be in favour of the players. If a new draftee held out for a contract and let it expire to be a UFA would be absolute bedlam.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree on the screws the players.

Current balance of power would be in favour of the players. If a new draftee held out for a contract and let it expire to be a UFA would be absolute bedlam.

Maybe make contracts out of the draft 3 year minimums? But the Dunkley situation in particular is absurd. He is out of contract, he should be able to sign with whatever employer he wants. The prospective employer should not have to barter with his ex-employer to get access to him, with the alternative being to return to the draft and have no control over the outcome.

While under contract it's a totally different story, but out of contract vets should be able to walk wherever they want.

Maybe make contracts out of the draft 3 year minimums? But the Dunkley situation in particular is absurd. He is out of contract, he should be able to sign with whatever employer he wants. The prospective employer should not have to barter with his ex-employer to get access to him, with the alternative being to return to the draft and have no control over the outcome.

While under contract it's a totally different story, but out of contract vets should be able to walk wherever they want.

Unless there is give and take, thoroughly against allowing players to just walk post contract.

8 years players become RFA and 10 years players become UFA which considering that players request trades mid contract is almost obsolete.

More than happy to allow players to walk if on extended rookie with option contract (say four plus one or three plus two) if clubs can then trade players without their permission. Protections for players under a certain $ amount.

Balances power quite nicely.

Tippett PSD

I was only miles off with the players!!! Yes agree, I'm a fan of state based trade options only.

The actual answer I think is raising the draft age, very few draft sports, draft out of high school. Almost all of them are coming out of University (at least 1 year).

Singapore.

It's a Vic Metro problem primarily.

Country boys are more aware they will have to move to a city to play AFL, non-Victorian players are aware that 89% of the teams you will get drafted to are outside of the state you grew up in and are generally much more mentally prepared for that possibility.

Vic Metro kids are much softer and they know that there are 9 options that don't have to challenge them as much as completely relocating.

So many problems the AFL has as an organisation is in the over-concentration of Victorian teams that has never been addressed properly in 30 years and probably never will be.

Country boys are more aware they will have to move to a city to play AFL, non-Victorian players are aware that 89% of the teams you will get drafted to are outside of the state you grew up in and are generally much more mentally prepared for that possibility.

Vic Metro kids are much softer and they know that there are 9 options that don't have to challenge them as much as completely relocating.

So many problems the AFL has as an organisation is in the over-concentration of Victorian teams that has never been addressed properly in 30 years and probably never will be.

I'd honestly move the AFL HQ out of Melbourne and put them in Koolangatta.

Norf, Saints, Hawf and now possibly the Dons and Dogs are not attractive to the best young Vic Metro kids drafted to other States.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back