Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, no doubt the Cats exploited Reid being on one leg. Shame we didn't make the call to keep Logan in.

Either way though, alot has changed since we played them in R2 and that milestone game for Buddy 1000. Shame we couldn't have another in between them to gauge where we were at playing them.

I try to look glass half full. Proud of what we've achieved this year. Who picked us to make a Granny and give us a crack at it. Not to mention our young blood who have shown more than what we expected of them.

Let this loss sting to drive us stronger in 2023 onwards.

One player who tried really really hard but nothing came off for was papley. He tried over and over
problem is, he didn't have any others cracking in around him, if there were a few more showing the same intent, we would have won a few more contests. Apart from Fox, Warner and Rowbottom (to a lesser extent), we had very few who were making things happen.

Heeney, rowbottom, warner, Parker are the mids now. Papley stay forward. Mills stay back. Enough paying 1mil for pretty plays.

If I was being generous I could almost excuse the first quarter. We were overawed and got blitzed by an experienced team who were primed to perfection.

That 3rd quarter was an absolute capitulation. We had a chance to start again, fight for some dignity, it instead we threw in the towel and got outworked by the oldest team in history.

If we'd gone down in a heartbreaker last week id back us to come back stronger next year but we were exposed and embarrassed all over the park today.

Yeah when we got it back to 36 points at half time. I felt we would slowly grind the margin down during the 3rd quarter. But it was a disastrous start, we seemed to keep fumbling and handpassing backwards. I think we conceded 3 goals in the first 3 minutes.

The sad part is I dont think we won a single contest going forward today, even trying to go through the corridor was hard. They found a way to shut it down and only a few free kicks here and there gave us some relief.

Cats made it look easy going forward. They were giving their forwards silver service some of the time.

MacDonald would’ve done jack all liek he’s been doing lately. Talls need to have quick reflexes eg Cameron or strong as an ox eg Hawkins. Hes neither.
It’s not really about that, no ones arguing that we would’ve been a chance with Mcdonald, it’s the principle of playing an injured player on Grand Final day that puts the team in jeopardy, more spiritually than anything. Horse, the medical team and Reid all look like fools.
Geelong got Holmes to a stage where they thought he could’ve played but they made the tough call to exclude him. Horse made the tough call on Logan, when it should’ve been on ****ing Reid. It’s infuriating.

It’s not really about that, no ones arguing that we would’ve been a chance with Mcdonald, it’s the principle of playing an injured player on Grand Final day that puts the team in jeopardy, more spiritually than anything. Horse, the medical team and Reid all look like fools.
Yep agree, Reid unfortunately was a liability

Yeah when we got it back to 36 points at half time. I felt we would slowly grind the margin down during the 3rd quarter. But it was a disastrous start, we seemed to keep fumbling and handpassing backwards. I think we conceded 3 goals in the first 3 minutes.
We needed the first 3 goals, but alas we are where we are

Geelong are a class organisation and their fans are also generally really good people, or ive been lucky , but yeah classy all round so at least we got thumped by a respectful team and fan base etc

Eg abletts son coming out with selwood, touching moment

Selwood shits me, but its because he is such a bloody warrior - pick 7 , after mitch thorp IIRC and 4 flags later still a star on and off the field. Though he is a few years younger than me so wish they didnt call him old,

They cop shit for age, who cares if you get the mix right, they had depth not even playing today too, people want to play there because its a strong organisation.

Seeing them gives me hope too, they are always up there and copped some shit finals losses themselves, even last year's prelim but they battle on

I hope their fans on here enjoy the win, must be nice and bloody relaxing.

again not a dangerfield fan , mainly from the crows days, but fairplay added to his massive and well deserved cv

I am bitter but they have set a benchmark for so long and we need to try to get there as a club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MacDonald would’ve done jack all liek he’s been doing lately. Talls need to have quick reflexes eg Cameron or strong as an ox eg Hawkins. Hes neither.

that’s not true. But I agree with the sentiment that he wouldn’t have done anything. Our kicking forwards was abysmal. Our forward structure was so crap because even when it went to ground which felt like never they just swept it away.

but forwards like Nick larkey and Aaron naughton survive on leads and timing And vertical leap I guess as well.

It is a massive contrast to pick an injured guy against a team that made a tough call

That bit us on the bum, maybe even disrespecting the opposition, they could have taken it that way.

, It just a shit feeling, you kind of do want to discuss it, figure it out/ dont want to think about it

For 4 of our goals the Cats kicked a responding goal in around 1 minute and 30 seconds real time.

So in less than a minute roughly of game time for 4 of our goals they immediately erased the goal we just kicked.

Wtf.

As someone still feeling the pain from last week, really feel for your boys today. Geelong have been exceptional, and I admit I was confident it was just due to an easy end of season. But they proved the past couple of weeks that wasn't the case. You guys had a fantastic season and congrats on reaching the finals. Be proud of your team today, regardless of what the scoreboard says. See you next season.
Thanks for that.
We couldn't beat you this year & you guys had a tougher finals series so perhaps would have done a better job today.

With respect, I can guarantee you that there were a lot of players out there who “were not feeling 100%”. The question is whether Reid genuinely believed he was sufficiently fit to play to an appropriate standard. That may or may not have been the case - none of us know for sure.

In addition, the medical staff would have provided their expert opinion to the coaches, the same medical team that many posters have been singing the praises of over this season. What they said and what, if any, risk was identified, is also not known, or whether their advice was acted on by the coaches when selecting Reid.

in short, we don’t know whether Reid was selfish or not, or whether the coaches deliberately took a huge risk or not.

I expect it will all come out during the Royal Commission into the affair

A lot of talk of Reid not being right (and rightly so) but does anyone else also think McInerney wasn’t fully fit either. Ended up on 62% TOG

Still no idea how we pulled 2012 off, I reckon 30 things needed to go right for us that game and it did. We slotted about 3 pretty tough goals from 50 that day, and the Hawks were inaccurate.

Today, 50 things went wrong for us.
Selwood (who let’s remember has won 4 GFs) noted at the end of the game just how hard it is to win the flag. A lot needs to go right and not much needs to go wrong when 17 other professional teams are all striving for the same thing.

Geelong were just too good today. I think they also proved that their best was better than our best. Don’t think anyone was beating Geelong based on that performance. They were just too good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back